Wide angle lens for Canon T3i

Started Jan 4, 2013 | Discussions
spacey11
Forum MemberPosts: 66Gear list
Like?
Wide angle lens for Canon T3i
Jan 4, 2013

Hey guys,

just bought my new camera last week, and I am looking for a wide angle lens. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to lenses, I have looked up a few. But have been told to look for a used one?

What should I look for, is there a particular type, brand that I should avoid, look for? Price range, as in what is a good price and what is a rip off. I do not need a fancy lens at this point, just something to get me started, so I can learn, grow and upgrade in the future.

Also, I am located in Canada.  Any places where I could look to purchase lenses that have some good prices?

Appreciate all the help!

-- hide signature --

Regards, Stacey

spacey11's gear list:spacey11's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Kokeen4231
Contributing MemberPosts: 605Gear list
Like?
Re: Wide angle lens for Canon T3i
In reply to spacey11, Jan 4, 2013

There isnt any particular brand to avoid really. A good one would be the tokina 11-16mm. Used would cost you around $500. This lens is most worth it and best for a start.

Kokeen4231's gear list:Kokeen4231's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Imaginik
Regular MemberPosts: 248Gear list
Like?

What lens(es) do you have right now? Do you have the kit lens (e.g., 18-55mm)? If so, is the 18mm not wide enough for you? Not challenging you, but rather trying to understand if a lens with focal length wider than 18mm is really what you may need.

-- hide signature --

I'm here to learn

Imaginik's gear list:Imaginik's gear list
Canon PowerShot S70 Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +2 more
Hank3152
Forum ProPosts: 12,754Gear list
Like?

spacey11 wrote:

Hey guys,

just bought my new camera last week, and I am looking for a wide angle lens. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to lenses, I have looked up a few. But have been told to look for a used one?

Since an 18 on a crop body isn't very wide for landscapes Canon's 10-22 is the most popular ultra wide and can be had used for about $500. There are several on these sites from reputable sellers........

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=14
.......also you'd get more responses in the appropriate Canon lens forum........

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/1029

Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
beagle1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,885
Like?

spacey11 wrote:

Hey guys,

What should I look for, is there a particular type, brand that I should avoid, look for? Price range, as in what is a good price and what is a rip off. I do not need a fancy lens at this point, just something to get me started, so I can learn, grow and upgrade in the future.

Also, I am located in Canada. Any places where I could look to purchase lenses that have some good prices?

Appreciate all the help!

-- hide signature --

cRegards, Stacey

Canon 10-22, Tokina 11-16, Sigma 10-20 - Canon the sharpest but more expensive

spacey11
Like?
In reply to Imaginik, Jan 5, 2013

Imaginik wrote:

What lens(es) do you have right now? Do you have the kit lens (e.g., 18-55mm)? If so, is the 18mm not wide enough for you? Not challenging you, but rather trying to understand if a lens with focal length wider than 18mm is really what you may need.

-- hide signature --

I'm here to learn

Hi there,

I currently have the 50 mm lens from canon and the kit 18-55 mm lens.  I was really wanting to do some landscapes and scenery, I find the wide angle is better suited for the shots I am wanting to get.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Stacey

spacey11
Like?
In reply to beagle1, Jan 5, 2013

Thank you for all the advice and help!!!

Ultra wide angle is what I will stick with and there are still some sales going on for boxing week, I may luck out and get a new lens for around $500.

So I am guessing that is a pretty decent price for a wide angle?

-- hide signature --

Regards, Stacey

KCook
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,755Gear list
Like?
In reply to spacey11, Jan 5, 2013

I've been pretty happy with the Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 on my Canon.  My one gripe is that I cannot use the lens hood and a filter at the same time.  Links to more opinions on UWA choices for Canon -

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2976367

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3230096

Kelly Cook

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-PL2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads