LX7 Setup Guide and Tips and Tricks Video

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Discussions
mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,614Gear list
Like?
LX7 Setup Guide and Tips and Tricks Video
Jan 3, 2013

Here is a guide to setting up your LX7. I bought one for a little under $300 just before Christmas and made the video below about what each menu item does. Sadly I have to give it my brother as a Christmas present so I don't have the camera anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWgZFZ9TSrs

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8260243384/panasonic-lx7-setup-guide

I have a few more little tricks that I shot video for but I could not put them in the original video due to time constraints. I will try to do another short video with those as well.

If you have any questions about the settings let me know. Also please bookmark and like this post if you want to comeback to it in the future.

 mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
tyampel
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,730
Like?
Re: LX7 Setup Guide and Tips and Tricks Video
In reply to mpgxsvcd, Jan 3, 2013

Very nice video. and very useful.

I always enjoy your video tutorials.

Keep up the good work

-- hide signature --

Tod Yampel
Duck Club member

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,614Gear list
Like?
Re: LX7 Setup Guide and Tips and Tricks Video
In reply to tyampel, Jan 4, 2013

tyampel wrote:

Very nice video. and very useful.

I always enjoy your video tutorials.

Keep up the good work

-- hide signature --

Tod Yampel
Duck Club member

Thanks I appreciate that and I am glad it can help. So how do you like your LX7. I honestly had trouble sending it to my brother even though I promised to get him the perfect digital camera for his needs for Christmas.

If I didn't receive the GH3 2 days later I probably would have kept it and told him to go buy his own.

 mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tedandtricia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,083Gear list
Like?
Re: LX7 Setup Guide and Tips and Tricks Video
In reply to mpgxsvcd, Jan 4, 2013

Thanks for that, it was useful to see someone else's thoughts. Fyi, your audio cuts out from 5:15-6:10 or so when I watched it. And I think it cut out once again towards the end.

 tedandtricia's gear list:tedandtricia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,614Gear list
Like?
Re: LX7 Setup Guide and Tips and Tricks Video
In reply to tedandtricia, Jan 4, 2013

tedandtricia wrote:

Thanks for that, it was useful to see someone else's thoughts. Fyi, your audio cuts out from 5:15-6:10 or so when I watched it. And I think it cut out once again towards the end.

That was intentional. There really wasn't much more to say about the macro mode. However, I wanted to show that entire scene because I think it is really good for macro shots.

 mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
howardfuhrman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,454
Like?
Re: LX7 Setup Guide and Tips and Tricks Video
In reply to mpgxsvcd, Jan 4, 2013

I found the video very useful.  Thank you.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,614Gear list
Like?
Re: LX7 Setup Guide and Tips and Tricks Video
In reply to howardfuhrman, Jan 7, 2013

howardfuhrman wrote:

I found the video very useful. Thank you.

Thanks for watching.

 mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
retsie
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
Re: LX7 Setup Guide and Tips and Tricks Video
In reply to mpgxsvcd, Jan 7, 2013

Thank you! 

 retsie's gear list:retsie's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
oledog
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?
Re: LX7 Setup Guide and Tips and Tricks Video
In reply to mpgxsvcd, Jan 7, 2013

Thank you for sharing your LX7 set-up tips and suggestions.  It is most helpful.  How close would they apply to the LX5?  Thanks again for your time and effort.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
guyindasky
Regular MemberPosts: 306
Like?
Re: LX7 Setup Guide and Tips and Tricks Video
In reply to oledog, Jan 7, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to make that video...Those appear to be settings you deem best for indoor shooting. Do you have any specific settings that you like for outdoors?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,614Gear list
Like?
Re: LX7 Setup Guide and Tips and Tricks Video
In reply to oledog, Jan 8, 2013

oledog wrote:

Thank you for sharing your LX7 set-up tips and suggestions. It is most helpful. How close would they apply to the LX5? Thanks again for your time and effort.

I have never used an LX-5 before. However, if it has the minimum shutter speed limit and reasonably good high ISO values then I would probably start with similar settings.

The LX-7 has a much brighter lens(F1.4 - F2.3 vs. F2.0 - F3.3) so that will definitely enhance its performance over the LX-5 indoors.

 mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,614Gear list
Like?
Re: LX7 Setup Guide and Tips and Tricks Video
In reply to guyindasky, Jan 8, 2013

guyindasky wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to make that video...Those appear to be settings you deem best for indoor shooting. Do you have any specific settings that you like for outdoors?

Yes because of the minimum shutter speed setting you can use these settings indoors or outdoors.

Outside it will increase the shutter speed to match the lighting. And if you use the ND filter setting that I mentioned in the video it will automatically optimize the lens aperture to get the highest sharpness. That feature works brilliantly(Pun intended).

 mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lobalobo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,602
Like?
Re: LX7 Setup Guide and Tips and Tricks Video
In reply to mpgxsvcd, Jan 9, 2013

mpgxsvcd wrote: Yes because of the minimum shutter speed setting you can use these settings indoors or outdoors.

Outside it will increase the shutter speed to match the lighting. And if you use the ND filter setting that I mentioned in the video it will automatically optimize the lens aperture to get the highest sharpness. That feature works brilliantly(Pun intended).

Thanks for taking the time to do this.  I do have a question, though, about using P mode.  I never use it because I'm never sure how the camera decides on aperture and shutter speed. I take it that you think setting minimum shutter speed fixes this problem, that the camera will if it can drive the shutter speed to the minimum if need be to approach the aperture of ideal sharpness.  Is that right?  Do we know what that aperture is, and if so, would we get the same result by using A mode and selecting that aperture along with a minimum shutter speed and then letting the camera adjust ISO accordingly?  Finally, speaking of ISO, you say in your video that selecting an ISO max of 3200 speeds the shutter as compared to setting ISO to Auto. But that strikes me as strange in that in Auto the camera should feel free to reach 3200, or higher, on its own.  So why does imposing any max speed the shutter selected?  Thanks again.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,614Gear list
Like?
Re: LX7 Setup Guide and Tips and Tricks Video
In reply to Lobalobo, Jan 10, 2013

Lobalobo wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to do this. I do have a question, though, about using P mode. I never use it because I'm never sure how the camera decides on aperture and shutter speed. I take it that you think setting minimum shutter speed fixes this problem, that the camera will if it can drive the shutter speed to the minimum if need be to approach the aperture of ideal sharpness. Is that right? Do we know what that aperture is, and if so, would we get the same result by using A mode and selecting that aperture along with a minimum shutter speed and then letting the camera adjust ISO accordingly? Finally, speaking of ISO, you say in your video that selecting an ISO max of 3200 speeds the shutter as compared to setting ISO to Auto. But that strikes me as strange in that in Auto the camera should feel free to reach 3200, or higher, on its own. So why does imposing any max speed the shutter selected? Thanks again.

The reasoning behind selecting “P” is complex. Program priority mode is the most automated of the P.A.S.M modes. In fact it is what all full “Auto” modes on cameras use. Therefore, it gives the user the least amount of flexibility to manually select specific options.

However, this mode does allow some manual selection. You can manually select any ISO you want to choose on the Panasonic cameras. That means that the ISO will be fixed though.

In most situations novice users just want to be able to have the camera choose the settings that will use the fastest shutter duration while still maintaining good sharpness and not using too high of an ISO.

The LX7 has a very nice lens and while it is sharpest when stopped down slightly it is still very good when the aperture is wide open. In addition it does better than I expected at ISO 3200.

Therefore, by using “P” mode with auto ISO set with a specific maximum of ISO 3200 and the minimum shutter speed of 1/60thof a second or faster you will achieve good results in any lighting.

The reason that “P” with Auto ISO is not used as often with Professional photographers and full frame cameras is that full frame lenses typically need to be stopped down considerably on full frame cameras to increase depth of field and increase sharpness.

You can adjust the Aperture and Shutter speed in “P” mode. However, it is up to the camera to choose which one it adjusts. Therefore some users would rather use “A”, “S”, or “M” to explicitly control each parameter.

With the LX7 my opinion is that the camera does a good enough job with selecting the appropriate settings for any situation that it is the best mode to use. However, you must turn on the minimum shutter speed setting and choose ISO 3200 for Auto ISO limit.

If you choose the Auto upper limit for Auto ISO then it will never use any higher than ISO 1600. I know ISO 1600 vs. ISO 3200 doesn’t sound like much. However, the difference between 1/60th of a second and 1/120th of a second shutter speed can be huge in certain situations.

Set up the camera as I have described and try it out against the A,S,M modes. In good outdoor lighting you probably will get good results with any of those options. However, if you go inside you will need to manually adjust the settings to get the other modes to work.

With the "P" mode and the settings I suggested you shouldn't need to adjust much if anything at all when the lighting varies.

Hope that helps.

 mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lobalobo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,602
Like?
Re: LX7 Setup Guide and Tips and Tricks Video
In reply to mpgxsvcd, Jan 11, 2013

mpgxsvcd wrote:

If you choose the Auto upper limit for Auto ISO then it will never use any higher than ISO 1600. I know ISO 1600 vs. ISO 3200 doesn’t sound like much. However, the difference between 1/60th of a second and 1/120th of a second shutter speed can be huge in certain situations.

That's the step I was missing, that full Auto ISO has a cap lower than one that can be manually set.   Thanks.

Set up the camera as I have described and try it out against the A,S,M modes. In good outdoor lighting you probably will get good results with any of those options. However, if you go inside you will need to manually adjust the settings to get the other modes to work.

I'll certainly give this a try, but I am curious.  You mention that the LX7 lens is sharpest stopped down slightly from fully open. Do you know what the optimal f/ stop is and whether that varies across zoom range?  I ask, because I rarely use the LX7 when I want to set and forget (I have a ZS20 for that).  So what I'm thinking I'm going to try, following part of your advice, is to set the aperture optimally in A mode along with a minimum shutter speed of at least 1/125 then set the ISO manually for the conditions.  This is close to the equivalent of shooting manually except that if I set the ISO high enough for the lighting conditions, I'll save the step of manually matching the shutter speed to the light meter (and if I guess wrong on the ISO and can't get a proper exposure on these settings, I can just then raise the ISO).  In sum, lots of control with minimum fuss.  Have you tried to shoot this way?  In any case, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,614Gear list
Like?
Re: LX7 Setup Guide and Tips and Tricks Video
In reply to Lobalobo, Jan 14, 2013

Lobalobo wrote:

mpgxsvcd wrote:

If you choose the Auto upper limit for Auto ISO then it will never use any higher than ISO 1600. I know ISO 1600 vs. ISO 3200 doesn’t sound like much. However, the difference between 1/60th of a second and 1/120th of a second shutter speed can be huge in certain situations.

That's the step I was missing, that full Auto ISO has a cap lower than one that can be manually set. Thanks.

Set up the camera as I have described and try it out against the A,S,M modes. In good outdoor lighting you probably will get good results with any of those options. However, if you go inside you will need to manually adjust the settings to get the other modes to work.

I'll certainly give this a try, but I am curious. You mention that the LX7 lens is sharpest stopped down slightly from fully open. Do you know what the optimal f/ stop is and whether that varies across zoom range? I ask, because I rarely use the LX7 when I want to set and forget (I have a ZS20 for that). So what I'm thinking I'm going to try, following part of your advice, is to set the aperture optimally in A mode along with a minimum shutter speed of at least 1/125 then set the ISO manually for the conditions. This is close to the equivalent of shooting manually except that if I set the ISO high enough for the lighting conditions, I'll save the step of manually matching the shutter speed to the light meter (and if I guess wrong on the ISO and can't get a proper exposure on these settings, I can just then raise the ISO). In sum, lots of control with minimum fuss. Have you tried to shoot this way? In any case, thanks for taking the time to respond.

The biggest misconception in photography is that sharpness is everything. We are talking about 9+ megapixel cameras here. You better be printing REALLY BIG if you think you need more detail than 9+ megapixels can give you.

In all honesty the difference in stopping down is not significant with smaller sensor lens cameras that have decent glass. The LX7 fits in that category. It has a great and fast lens that is wonderful wide open. It is the ideal point and shoot camera. Use it that way if that suites your needs.

Everyone seems to think that you have to use a point and shoot only camera for point and shoot images. That is completely incorrect. A true point and shoot camera is just a bad camera for anything but very bright light and in those cases your phone will work just as well.

The only reason I mentioned that the ND filter can select the ideal aperture for sharpness is that it does that without any penalty. You can turn that feature on and then forget about it. It will turn it on and do its magic only when it is needed.

If you are in low light situations that require a wider aperture camera might as well not have the ND filter. It should and will never be triggered if you choose the options I described.

Basically you really just need to try the settings I recommended and see if they fit with your shooting style. If they do then great. If not then you might have to make a few tweaks. However, I am fairly confident that these settings will work well for most people in all situations.

 mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lobalobo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,602
Like?
Re: LX7 Setup Guide and Tips and Tricks Video
In reply to mpgxsvcd, Jan 14, 2013

Although the time you spent to reply is appreciated, your condescending tone is not.  The only reason I suggested that there might be a sharpness downside to shooting in A mode with the lens set to wide open is that your post suggested as much.  It is, therefore, ironic, that you would reply with disdain for those uninformed enough to offer this supposition.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Edgar Matias
Regular MemberPosts: 163Gear list
Like?
Re: LX7 Setup Guide and Tips and Tricks Video
In reply to Lobalobo, Jan 14, 2013

Lobalobo wrote:

Although the time you spent to reply is appreciated, your condescending tone is not.

When someone is generous and considerate enough to take the time and effort to answer a technical question from a total stranger on a public forum, it is bad form to complain about their "condescending tone".

When I am that totally stranger, I am happy and grateful for the information I've received.  It is common courtesy to give the alleged tone condescender the benefit of the doubt that any perceived slight is due to the limitations of the medium.

In either case, it is rude to accuse someone who has helped you of making you feel bad, because they didn't phrase their reply in a way that makes you feel warm and fuzzy and smart.

A simple "thank you" goes a long way.

 Edgar Matias's gear list:Edgar Matias's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Apple iPhone 5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lobalobo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,602
Like?
Re: LX7 Setup Guide and Tips and Tricks Video
In reply to Edgar Matias, Jan 15, 2013

Edgar Matias wrote:

Lobalobo wrote:

Although the time you spent to reply is appreciated, your condescending tone is not.

In either case, it is rude to accuse someone who has helped you of making you feel bad, because they didn't phrase their reply in a way that makes you feel warm and fuzzy and smart.

A simple "thank you" goes a long way.

Fair enough, but if you read the thread you'll see that I thanked the original poster multiple times.  In the last exchange, I asked a specific question prompted by his own post and rather than answer the question he responded, in essence, that the question wasn't worth asking, something he apparently believes I would have understood if I did not suffer the misconception of the masses; he then told me, in almost (but not quite) these terms, to stop asking questions and just try the settings he offered.  It is for these response that I suggested his tone was condescending.  I stand by this and would wager that most would read the response in context the same way.  (I say, "in context," because the post is not on its own objectionable; the tone is different, though, in the context of the question to which it responded, again, a question that was not only not answered, but derided as not worth asking.) This does not detract from the fact that the poster was nice to have offered his settings in the first place, and as I said, I thanked him for that.  And it's not as if I accused him of some terrible crime; all I did was call him on his tone.  If he thought my question was stupid, which he apparently did, the better reaction would have been not to respond.  Anyway, once again, I do thank him for taking the time.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,614Gear list
Like?
Re: LX7 Setup Guide and Tips and Tricks Video
In reply to Lobalobo, Jan 15, 2013

Lobalobo wrote:

Although the time you spent to reply is appreciated, your condescending tone is not. The only reason I suggested that there might be a sharpness downside to shooting in A mode with the lens set to wide open is that your post suggested as much. It is, therefore, ironic, that you would reply with disdain for those uninformed enough to offer this supposition.

Try rereading it again without inferring that I was only talking about you. I see now that I used the word "you" instead of properly saying "Some users". I wasn't specifically stating that you believe or do those things.

However, I was implying that generally people perceive sharpness as the most critical property when it really isn't that important.

That post wasn't meant to be condescending. I was simply stating my opinion on what some people believe to be true and what I believe to be not true. It was meant to challenge people to go out and figure out for themselves what is important in their eyes. It wasn't meant to put anyone down.

Sorry if there was any confusion on that. I never intended it to be a put down. However, I do ask that you reread it with an open mind and look at from the point of view as just a recommendation of how to view the importance of sharpness.

 mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads