NX300 Official - See the News!

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Discussions
tombell1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,853Gear list
Like?
Re: No EVF == a Toy? For some people, I guess.
In reply to Desverger, Jan 7, 2013

Tilting Screens

Although on a tripod tilting screens are problematical sometimes and not good in portrait mode for ME ... i much prefer them and I do think that as Eric says that position near your waist is SUCH a good position ..... for me  ... a fixed screen alone is awful ... but I think if the AMOLED is as good as I think it might be then overall i may well prefer the articulating Amoled to the LCD + EVF just because I seem yself using that lower waist level position a lot potentially ... i'm just not sure

BUT it is odd to me that things that make a  BIG difference are often weighed much the same as stuff you'd hardly use ... so in pentax the IBIS I consider for me a HUGE plus. Likewise the EX! screen let alone this new one make  such a big diference as they are so bvibrant compared to an LCD screen

-- hide signature --

Tom Bell Dartmoor Devon http://flickr.com/photos/tombell1

tombell1's gear list:tombell1's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X100S Pentax K-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Knallberto
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,478
Like?
Re: "I do not need an EVF" :-)
In reply to targut, Jan 8, 2013

Thank you for your excellent counsel, Mr. teacher.

Eijun
Regular MemberPosts: 108Gear list
Like?
Re: NX300 Official - See the News!
In reply to viking79, Jan 8, 2013

Retail price for the 45mm 3D lens $500 - March

http://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/samsung-nx300-smart-camera-unveiled-ahead-of-ces/
NX300 $750 with an 20-50mm kit lens - March
 Eijun's gear list:Eijun's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 20mm F2.8 Pancake Samsung NX100 Samsung NX1000 +6 more
sj2
sj2
Regular MemberPosts: 217
Like?
What of the sensor?
In reply to viking79, Jan 8, 2013

I have been thinking of getting a NX. Like the lens line up but looks like the NX200 left much to be desired in the sensor department. Any idea if the NX300 has a much different sensor?

Joe Melillo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,831Gear list
Like?
I think it 's pretty good.
In reply to sj2, Jan 9, 2013

sj2 wrote:

I have been thinking of getting a NX. Like the lens line up but looks like the NX200 left much to be desired in the sensor department. Any idea if the NX300 has a much different sensor?

What  makes you think so? I find that the sensor in the nx 1000 is excellent up to ISO 1600.  I'm not measuring test patterns. I just know what I see.

-- hide signature --

Joe Melillo
WSSA member# 86
http://www.pbase.com/jmelillo/root

Joe Melillo's gear list:Joe Melillo's gear list
Nikon D800E Samsung NX20
3dreal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,133
Like?
Re: 3D
In reply to Knallberto, Jan 9, 2013

Knallberto wrote:

Let us see how 3D works ... small, small eye distance, two shutter curtains ... buuuut stills and 1080/60fps video. I hope it isn't the same flop like Panasonic.

3D-Image  4MP only!?

-- hide signature --

www.stereopan.org

3dreal
Like?
Re: Only the best composers know where to steal their themes

Knallberto wrote:

I think Samsung (or SONY) have MORE innovative ideas than Canon/Nikon together.

They have them too but do not show them yet. Money-making seems more important. Understandable.

-- hide signature --

e.g. Canon has bought a lycence from italian Carlo Biraghi of Legnano(It) for a genious One-camera 3D-Capture and 3DCinema(Beamer)-Autostereoscopic System. 15 people could see 3D without glasses. Biraghis solved the problem where normally eye-tracking is needed. Viewers can center their heads within a 30cm range. have seen it at photokina 98. Was phantastic despite biraghis shooting of a parade without tripod....

--
www.stereopan.org

3dreal
Like?

Knallberto wrote:

They have them too but do not show them yet. Money-making seems more important. Understandable.

-- hide signature --

e.g. Canon has bought a lycence from italian Carlo Biraghi of Legnano(It) for a genious One-camera 3D-Capture and 3DCinema(Beamer)-Autostereoscopic System. 15 people could see 3D without glasses. Biraghis solved the problem where normally eye-tracking is needed. Viewers can center their heads within a 30cm range. have seen it at photokina 98. Was phantastic despite biraghis shooting of a parade without tripod....

--
www.stereopan.org

3dreal
Like?

Knallberto wrote:

-- hide signature --

--
www.stereopan.org

3dreal
Like?

Knallberto wrote:

-- hide signature --

--
www.stereopan.org

sj2
sj2
Like?
Re: I think it 's pretty good.
In reply to Joe Melillo, Jan 9, 2013

I do not claim any first hand experience with the NX series but have been reading reviews and looking at sample images. While noise can be artistically used and could be acceptable to a certain level, as a buyer, I have other choices in MILC/EVIL and some have clearly better sensors than NX. So the question is why settle for a lesser sensor? What does Samsung offer that is so head and shoulders above the competition that I should overlook the sensor? Don't get me wrong, I do like NX lens series. Anyway, my curiosity is about the NX300 sensor.

mathOS
Regular MemberPosts: 228Gear list
Like?
Re: NX300 Official - See the News!
In reply to sixfootzero, Jan 9, 2013

Yes, NX300 has focus peaking on board :-)

Samsung NX300 Hands-on by techradar @ CES

sixfootzero wrote:

Really excited to see this! It looks great, and I like the sound of 'focus peaking'. Like to hear more about that...

-- hide signature --
 mathOS's gear list:mathOS's gear list
Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samyang 12mm 1:2.0 NCS CS +5 more
wictred
Senior MemberPosts: 1,064Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joe Melillo, Jan 9, 2013

Joe Melillo wrote:

sj2 wrote:

What makes you think so? I find that the sensor in the nx 1000 is excellent up to ISO 1600. I'm not measuring test patterns. I just know what I see.

The nx1000 sensor is not really able to compete with other modern APS-C sensors when it comes to DR (especially highlights, see also the nx200 review http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/samsungnx200/11 ).

Also ISO 1600+ IQ is a bit behind other sensors, however the results up to ISO 400 are great.

No big issue. Some reviewers mentioned that it makes sense to expose a little bit to the left to prevent blown highlights, which can happen quite easily on the NX200 (I assume it's the same on the NX1000).

wictred's gear list:wictred's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN | Art +3 more
stdavid
Senior MemberPosts: 1,836
Like?
In reply to wictred, Jan 9, 2013

wictred wrote:

Joe Melillo wrote:

sj2 wrote:

What makes you think so? I find that the sensor in the nx 1000 is excellent up to ISO 1600. I'm not measuring test patterns. I just know what I see.

The nx1000 sensor is not really able to compete with other modern APS-C sensors when it comes to DR (especially highlights, see also the nx200 review http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/samsungnx200/11 ).

Also ISO 1600+ IQ is a bit behind other sensors, however the results up to ISO 400 are great.

No big issue. Some reviewers mentioned that it makes sense to expose a little bit to the left to prevent blown highlights, which can happen quite easily on the NX200 (I assume it's the same on the NX1000).

It's not just a sensor issue with Samsung IMO, it's also the heavy handed way they handle N/R that has always put me off. Hopefully it wil lbe less obtrusive or at least have some way of turning it off/down.

-- hide signature --

Quote: Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes Oscar Wilde

Robert N
Senior MemberPosts: 2,007
Like?
In reply to stdavid, Jan 10, 2013

It's not just a sensor issue with Samsung IMO, it's also the heavy handed way they handle N/R that has always put me off. Hopefully it wil lbe less obtrusive or at least have some way of turning it off/down.

Use RAW above ISO400, problem solved.

Regards,

Robert

Robert N
Like?
Useless
In reply to wictred, Jan 10, 2013

The nx1000 sensor is not really able to compete with other modern APS-C sensors when it comes to DR (especially highlights, see also the nx200 review http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/samsungnx200/11 ).

A JPEG DR comparison is completely useless.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Robert www.sondek.smugmug.com

sj2
sj2
Like?
Re: Useless
In reply to Robert N, Jan 10, 2013

Robert N wrote:

I no longer have time to play with RAW. I need the in-camera JPEG engine to do a good job with NR. So I guess I will have to wait and see what the NX300 engine does.

stdavid
Senior MemberPosts: 1,836
Like?
Re: Useless
In reply to sj2, Jan 10, 2013

sj2 wrote:

Robert N wrote:

I no longer have time to play with RAW. I need the in-camera JPEG engine to do a good job with NR. So I guess I will have to wait and see what the NX300 engine does.

Well said. This notion that everyone has the time to shoot and process RAW is nonsense when we are dealing with a small/pocketable camera. There is no excuse for a company with Samsungs resources and expertise to use such heavy handed NR.

Hopefull this  new camera will correct this.

-- hide signature --

Quote: Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes Oscar Wilde

Robert N
Like?
No time?
In reply to stdavid, Jan 10, 2013

Well said. This notion that everyone has the time to shoot and process RAW is nonsense when we are dealing with a small/pocketable camera. There is no excuse for a company with Samsungs resources and expertise to use such heavy handed NR.

Hopefull this new camera will correct this.

I don't know what the size of the camera has to do with RAW. Post processing can be time consuming, but a simple RAW conversion is very fast. Shouldn't be a problem since you have time enough to post on a photography forum.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Robert www.sondek.smugmug.com

Michael Barker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,964Gear list
Like?
Re: No time?
In reply to Robert N, Jan 10, 2013

Robert N wrote:

Well said. This notion that everyone has the time to shoot and process RAW is nonsense when we are dealing with a small/pocketable camera. There is no excuse for a company with Samsungs resources and expertise to use such heavy handed NR.

Hopefull this new camera will correct this.

I don't know what the size of the camera has to do with RAW. Post processing can be time consuming, but a simple RAW conversion is very fast. Shouldn't be a problem since you have time enough to post on a photography forum.

Using RAW is probably not very compatible with the touted auto-copy-to-smartphone feature, or the social networking features.

Michael Barker's gear list:Michael Barker's gear list
Pentax K-30
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads