Camera Sling Strap + Tripod Plate Mount?

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Questions
gringarense
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Camera Sling Strap + Tripod Plate Mount?
Jan 3, 2013

Hey everyone.

I have a Canon T2i and a Benro Tripod with a ballhead and a ARCA-swiss type plate .  I am trying to find a sling strap, similar to the BalckRapid system that can be used seamlessly with my tripod. In other words, I would like to not have to unscrew the sling screw from the bottom of the camera and screw in the tripod plate.

In other words, I want to be able to screw in the tripod plate with the sling strap screw and be able to quick release the sling strap and plop the camera on the tripod.

Does this make sense?

Thanks a bunch!

ANSWER:
Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
CalifJewls
Forum MemberPosts: 60Gear list
Like?
Re: Camera Sling Strap + Tripod Plate Mount?
In reply to gringarense, Jan 3, 2013

gringarense wrote:

Hey everyone.

I have a Canon T2i and a Benro Tripod with a ballhead and a ARCA-swiss type plate . I am trying to find a sling strap, similar to the BalckRapid system that can be used seamlessly with my tripod. In other words, I would like to not have to unscrew the sling screw from the bottom of the camera and screw in the tripod plate.

In other words, I want to be able to screw in the tripod plate with the sling strap screw and be able to quick release the sling strap and plop the camera on the tripod.

Does this make sense?

Thanks a bunch!

It makes perfect sense and I wish tha Black Rapid would come up with a solution for those of us that own non- Manfrotto tripods, I in fact emailed them in regards to this, no reply yet.

I did stumble upon a sling strap by www.carryspeed.com, you can have your tripod plate attached at all times and the actual connector seems to be designed even stronger than the BR connector.

-- hide signature --

- Julie
"We don't remember days, we remember moments"..

CalifJewls's gear list:CalifJewls's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ata3001
Contributing MemberPosts: 504Gear list
Like?

Crumpler Industry Disgrace. It uses the camera strap lugs yet is long enough to be used as a sling strap, leaving the quick release plate free of any obstructions. The camera is held in an upright position at your side, but who cares.

ata3001's gear list:ata3001's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D700 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +30 more
Ricky B
Regular MemberPosts: 154
Like?
In reply to CalifJewls, Jan 3, 2013

CalifJewls wrote:

gringarense wrote:

Hey everyone.

I have a Canon T2i and a Benro Tripod with a ballhead and a ARCA-swiss type plate . I am trying to find a sling strap, similar to the BalckRapid system that can be used seamlessly with my tripod. In other words, I would like to not have to unscrew the sling screw from the bottom of the camera and screw in the tripod plate.

Does this make sense?

Thanks a bunch!

It makes perfect sense and I wish tha Black Rapid would come up with a solution for those of us that own non- Manfrotto tripods, I in fact emailed them in regards to this, no reply yet.

I did stumble upon a sling strap by www.carryspeed.com, you can have your tripod plate attached at all times and the actual connector seems to be designed even stronger than the BR connector.

-- hide signature --

- Julie
"We don't remember days, we remember moments"..

This strap has a plate that can fit between the camera and the tripod plate so you can keep anyone’s tripod mount system on the camera.

http://photipherals.com/listing/pho-reel%e2%84%a2-camera-shoulder-strap-system/

Peter A. Stavrakoglou
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,440Gear list
Like?

The Op/Tech Sling Strap uses the camera lug to attach it, not the tripod socket.  It's far less expensive than strap like the BlackRapid.

http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-3501242-Strap-Sling/dp/B003T0EYVE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1357251874&sr=8-2&keywords=op+tech+strap

-- hide signature --

My humble photo gallery: http://www.pete-the-greek.com

Peter A. Stavrakoglou's gear list:Peter A. Stavrakoglou's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sigma SD15 Canon EOS 7D Sigma SD1 Merrill +16 more
bestairet
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
In reply to gringarense, Jan 4, 2013

The Custom SLR M-Plate Pro works extremely well as an Arca Swiss mounting plate. Works with most Manfrotto RC2 heads and will work with ANY sling strap you wish to use it with, in the way you describe that you want to use it.

It is a little pricey at $75.

http://www.customslr.com/products/m-plate-pro#.UOZoH2_AeYY

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,571
Like?
Gariz XA-PC1

Gariz XA-PC1 - US $22.95

Thank you
Russell

Alberto Tanikawa
Senior MemberPosts: 1,909Gear list
Like?
RRS option

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=B2-FAB-F&type=0&eq=&desc=B2-FAB-F-38mm-clamp-with-flat-back

Just adding another option to the ones you already got.

-- hide signature --

Alberto T.

Alberto Tanikawa's gear list:Alberto Tanikawa's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +14 more
Alberto Tanikawa
Like?
Re: RRS option
In reply to Alberto Tanikawa, Jan 4, 2013

I have the BlackRapid strap, and I ditched the metal latch and camera attachment for a California Sunbounce Sun Sniper screw that has ball bearings to make rotation easier, and not wear down the metal on the latch (I still use the BR strap though). On mine the latch metal worn down 30% through in a little over a year of heavy use. I couldn't trust it to secure my second camera + 70-200 lens, so the CSB screw gave me peace of mind:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/736675-REG/California_Sunbounce_N_SSN_BCS_SUN_SNIPER_Bear_Camera_Screw.html

-- hide signature --

Alberto T.

Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +14 more
ata3001
Like?
In reply to gringarense, Jan 5, 2013

Why not just a plain camera strap thats made to be used as a sling strap? Crumpler Industry Disgrace. Problem solved. No attachments on the bottom of the camera to interfere with a mounting plate.

Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D700 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +30 more
Alberto Tanikawa
Like?
In reply to ata3001, Jan 5, 2013

ata3001 wrote:

Why not just a plain camera strap thats made to be used as a sling strap? Crumpler Industry Disgrace. Problem solved. No attachments on the bottom of the camera to interfere with a mounting plate.

It could be handy if one shoots both stills and movies, because the strap will get in the way and possibly add unwanted noise to the footage.

-- hide signature --

Alberto T.

ata3001
Like?
In reply to Alberto Tanikawa, Jan 5, 2013

Alberto Tanikawa wrote:

ata3001 wrote:

It could be handy if one shoots both stills and movies, because the strap will get in the way and possibly add unwanted noise to the footage.

-- hide signature --

Alberto T.

With the camera on the tripod I typically wrap the strap around the upper part of the tripod a few times so it doesn't move around in a breeze, then just hook the end of it over one of the ballhead knobs. You are correct in that if left to just hang it will cause slight vibrations on the camera. This is true of any strap. Been doing it this way for years. This is just my solution & it works for me, but you need to find what works for you. I'm just offering a suggestion.

gringarense
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
In reply to gringarense, Jan 14, 2013

Thanks, everyone.

I went out to get the plate + strap offered by Carry Speed. It does just what I need, but there is one problem:  the CarrySpeed plate is too big for smaller sizes DSLRs.  I have a Canon T2i and when the plate is in place it blocks the battery door.  So no deal.

I contacted BlackRapid and they mentioned they are coming up with a new plate that will be ARCA-SWISS compatible it should be released in March. Hopefully this one will not block my battery door..

Regards,

1KIND
Regular MemberPosts: 138Gear list
Like?
In reply to gringarense, Jan 14, 2013

Custom SLR M-Plate

Manfrotto RC and Arca-Swiss plate in one. And it allows you to leave your sling strap connector on without having to remove it.

Here a link to my review

http://1kindphotography.blogspot.com/2012/05/review-custom-slr-m-plate-pro-universal.html

-- hide signature --

www.1kindphotography.com - Reviews
Equipment: SOLD all Nikon gear. Jumping to Canon | DK-17M mod
Lens: SOLD all Nikon lenses. Jumping to Canon
Gear: Black Rapid Strap RS-Sport 2 | Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home | ThinkTank Speed Freak v2.0 | ThinkTank Retrospective 10

1KIND's gear list:1KIND's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
UncleLJ
Contributing MemberPosts: 887Gear list
Like?
Re: RRS option
In reply to Alberto Tanikawa, Jan 15, 2013

Alberto Tanikawa wrote:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=B2-FAB-F&type=0&eq=&desc=B2-FAB-F-38mm-clamp-with-flat-back

Just adding another option to the ones you already got.

That is pretty slick...though pricey..I have and love the Black Rapid,,,but want to change to an Arca type plate and ball head..so this may be an option, thanks..

-- hide signature --

Alberto T.

-- hide signature --
 UncleLJ's gear list:UncleLJ's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
UncleLJ
Like?
In reply to gringarense, Jan 15, 2013

gringarense wrote:

Hey everyone.

Does this make sense?

Thanks a bunch!

Check this one out...

http://acratech.net/product.php?productid=86--

Lawrence "Uncle LJ" Sauter
http://lawrencejsauter.smugmug.com
http://ljsauter.zenfolio.com/

Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
confyushis
Contributing MemberPosts: 872Gear list
Like?
Kirk option
In reply to UncleLJ, Jan 15, 2013

UncleLJ wrote:

That is pretty slick...though pricey..

kirk sells a similar clamp for 2/3 the price ...

Kirk Quick Release Clamp 1"

if you read the reviews at b&h, many of the reviewers are also black rapid strap users ...

hope this helps ...

confyushis's gear list:confyushis's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +1 more
UncleLJ
Like?
Re: Kirk option
In reply to confyushis, Jan 15, 2013

confyushis wrote:

UncleLJ wrote:

That is pretty slick...though pricey..

kirk sells a similar clamp for 2/3 the price ...

Kirk Quick Release Clamp 1"

if you read the reviews at b&h, many of the reviewers are also black rapid strap users ...

hope this helps ...

sweet, thanks

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads