Nikon FF Mirrorless for 2013 ? I think so :)

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Discussions
Hawaii-geek
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,882Gear list
Like?
Nikon FF Mirrorless for 2013 ? I think so :)
Jan 3, 2013

Curious, who thinks Nikon will have a  FF Mirror-less for 2013 ?   I think so.

Well, at least I hope so.

Nikon 1 sales strength is a surprise to me, so hopefully this will help Nikon to push onto a PRO FF Mirror-less.

My hopeful features:

1)  FF  24mp

2)  6fps at least  ,  In Body VR that would be a surprise!

3)  in body EVF  past 100% , 120% so you can see outside the frame.  A good Zoom in 100% manual focus.

4)  Sealed , build like the D800, two SD is ok to keep size down. USB3 (match up with D800)

5)  Fast AF , and CAF  ... with EVF hopefully fast face recognition and exposure priority for group shots.  needs to be next gen from V1 or even the next upgrade V1 model.

6) * CLS trigger , on board Flash ... hopefully RADIO.  body alone MUST trigger CLS flashes.

7)  WiFi built in (P&S have it) ... easy way to FB , Twitter, web site upload Flicker, Smugmug,

8)  because I am thinking this body would be great for a Second body Wide lens.  Right out with the first shipment , Ship a "made for Mirror-less"  20mm  f2.8 , or 30mm f1.4  that shows how small a Mirror-less fast wide lens can be on FF.

Somebody at Nikon "must" have noticed what camera was voted "Camera of the Year" on DPR?

imho, a hold up for Nikon on this would be the AF.

Just my 2013 thoughts,  Happy New Year !

HG

-- hide signature --

http://tourist-of-light.blogspot.com/
Please feel free to criticize, make suggestions, and edit any of my photos & re-post, to help show me 'the way'. * I am trying to Elevate the Level of my 'Snap Shots'

Hawaii-geek's gear list:Hawaii-geek's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R +17 more
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ohnostudio
Regular MemberPosts: 486
Like?
Re: FF Not Gonna Happen
In reply to Hawaii-geek, Jan 3, 2013

Full frame will not happen

http://ohnostudio.com/2013/01/nikon-patent-zoom-for-mirrorless-aps-c-camera/

-- hide signature --

Don't aspire to be like someone else. Be better.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Zardoz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,249Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon FF Mirrorless for 2013 ? I think so :)

And introduce another entirely new line of lenses for it? Yeah, right.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Nikon FF Mirrorless for 2013 ? I think so :)NEX FF first

The first to FF Mirrorlss will be the NEX Series. A FF NEX 7 type will be awesome, the NEX 7 already is.

-- hide signature --

.....Just from an amateur......''Sometimes it's to your advantage for people to think you're crazy.”

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Hawaii-geek
Like?
Ohnostudio, Re: FF Not Gonna Happen
In reply to Ohnostudio, Jan 3, 2013

Ohnostudio wrote:

Full frame will not happen

http://ohnostudio.com/2013/01/nikon-patent-zoom-for-mirrorless-aps-c-camera/

-- hide signature --

Don't aspire to be like someone else. Be better.

I can only hope you are wrong on that one.

imho, eventually it will happen. It's just a matter of when.

It is a natural for  Second body WIDE lens for PROs.  Will allow for "Smaller"  Fast Wide Lens.

And hopefully less weight when you have to have 2 or 3 bodys with you.

HG

-- hide signature --

Please feel free to criticize, make suggestions, and edit any of my photos & re-post, to help show me 'the way'. * I am trying to Elevate the Level of my 'Snap Shots'

Hawaii-geek
Like?
Zardoz, Some Wide primes they can just do for M
In reply to Zardoz, Jan 3, 2013

Zardoz wrote:

Zardoz,

Nikon could "just" cover  some old Wide primes with a new Nano M FF version.

If they thought  for Wide lens ,  Mirror-less (High Res) was the future.

So, I guess that would be the clue.   ...  FF M  and a Wide prime for it.

HG

-- hide signature --

gl2k
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,232
Like?

Hawaii-geek wrote:

Curious, who thinks Nikon will have a FF Mirror-less for 2013 ? I think so.

Nikon 1 sales strength is a surprise to me, so hopefully this will help Nikon to push onto a PRO FF Mirror-less.

My hopeful features:

1) FF 24mp

2) 6fps at least , In Body VR that would be a surprise!

3) in body EVF past 100% , 120% so you can see outside the frame. A good Zoom in 100% manual focus.

4) Sealed , build like the D800, two SD is ok to keep size down. USB3 (match up with D800)

5) Fast AF , and CAF ... with EVF hopefully fast face recognition and exposure priority for group shots. needs to be next gen from V1 or even the next upgrade V1 model.

6) * CLS trigger , on board Flash ... hopefully RADIO. body alone MUST trigger CLS flashes.

7) WiFi built in (P&S have it) ... easy way to FB , Twitter, web site upload Flicker, Smugmug,

8) because I am thinking this body would be great for a Second body Wide lens. Right out with the first shipment , Ship a "made for Mirror-less" 20mm f2.8 , or 30mm f1.4 that shows how small a Mirror-less fast wide lens can be on FF.

Somebody at Nikon "must" have noticed what camera was voted "Camera of the Year" on DPR?

Guess you missed something. Nikon is a TRADITIONAL camera manufacture with a strong bias towards traditional DSLR systems. The 1 system has a deliberately chosen small sensor simply to not cannibalize their APS-C DSLRs.

This is also the Achilles heel of Nikon. If the market shifts to fast towards mirrorless systems Nikon will be doomed like Nokia. Nokia simply missed the rise of smartphones with an affiliated app ecosystem.

Hawaii-geek
Like?
Bajerrunner, look to NEX 7 and EM-5
In reply to Bajerunner, Jan 3, 2013

Bajerunner wrote:

The first to FF Mirrorlss will be the NEX Series. A FF NEX 7 type will be awesome, the NEX 7 already is.

-- hide signature --

.....Just from an amateur......''Sometimes it's to your advantage for people to think you're crazy.”

Bajerunner,

a look at the Future is NEX 7 and EM-5.

Nikon has a good small sensor Mirror-less.  NOW,  Nikon needs to LEAD and do a FF PRO Mirror-Less. for Second Body Wide lens for PROs.  and try to catch Canon when they are going APS-C.

Make the FF Mirror-Less for PROs.    and for Wide lens.  Hopefully VR

HG

-- hide signature --

Hawaii-geek
Like?
Re: Zardoz, Some Wide primes they can just do for M and sell a Adapter

Hawaii-geek wrote:

Zardoz wrote:

Zardoz,

Nikon could "just" cover some old Wide primes with a new Nano M FF version.

If they thought for Wide lens , Mirror-less (High Res) was the future.

So, I guess that would be the clue. ... FF M and a Wide prime for it.

HG

Nikon would only need a Adapter  to  cover legacy.

But, they should get "ahead" on this one.

Seems like all the "parts" are available.  (Sony)  ... and Nikon would be the one that could sell a PRO version FF.

As I said ,  needs that CLS flash trigger ...  and basically be a D800 match. (second body).  IF also 36mp , so be it.  At least it will solve the AF issues on Accuracy.

HG

-- hide signature --

Hawaii-geek
Like?
gl2k, Nokia missed the Smartphone, So did Sony (Samsung did not) look how that is playing out :)
In reply to gl2k, Jan 3, 2013

gl2k wrote:

Guess you missed something. Nikon is a TRADITIONAL camera manufacture with a strong bias towards traditional DSLR systems. The 1 system has a deliberately chosen small sensor simply to not cannibalize their APS-C DSLRs.

This is also the Achilles heel of Nikon. If the market shifts to fast towards mirrorless systems Nikon will be doomed like Nokia. Nokia simply missed the rise of smartphones with an affiliated app ecosystem.

gl2k, Nokia missed the Smartphone, So did Sony (Samsung did not) look how that is playing out

This is why Nikon needs to take the lead on FF Mirror-less PRO.

It's not like the D800 has blazing speed.  and a FF Mirror-less PRO D800 would have "Dead ON" accurate AF (no lens adjustments needed) , something the D800 could benefit from.

it will be interesting what it does in studio low light.

My thought, is a Second PRO body for Wide Lens.  Maybe Video. (so VR) , and ability to Manual Focus on a ZOOM in Fast and Easy.  (not grainy)

Quiet controls for Video too.

HG

-- hide signature --

dlinney
Regular MemberPosts: 158
Like?

Hawaii-geek wrote:

3) in body EVF past 100% , 120% so you can see outside the frame. A good Zoom in 100% manual focus.

Sorry, but EVF shows what the sensor receives so to have >100% to see "outside the frame" you would have to have a sensor bigger than the sensor.

-- hide signature --

Derek

57even
Senior MemberPosts: 5,847Gear list
Like?
In reply to dlinney, Jan 3, 2013

dlinney wrote:

Hawaii-geek wrote:

Sorry, but EVF shows what the sensor receives so to have >100% to see "outside the frame" you would have to have a sensor bigger than the sensor.

-- hide signature --

Derek

Or shoot slightly cropped?

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1
PhotoKaz
Regular MemberPosts: 326Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon FF Mirrorless for 2013 ? I think so :)NEX FF first
In reply to Bajerunner, Jan 3, 2013

Bajerunner wrote:

-- hide signature --

Leica

-- hide signature --
 PhotoKaz's gear list:PhotoKaz's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +1 more
michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,677Gear list
Like?

Hawaii-geek wrote:

That doesn't even make any sense.  A mirrorless camera gets its viewfinder image from the sensor.  So you actually want the sensor to be larger than FF?  Like 29x42mm?  Cost goes way up.  The size of the whole camera goes up.  And although I'm sure you would respond back that edge quality for the EVF wouldn't matter too much, the image circle of you lenses has to cover the bigger sensor area.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Donald Chin
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,284Gear list
Like?
HG, The truth is I'm using a RX1 now! :)

Just like X100, RX1 is not a camera for everyone, but I've confident it will fit in well with my D4 & D800E. 

kenwj
Contributing MemberPosts: 566Gear list
Like?

Sony is now working on a Fovean type sensor.  That would be the one that I would watch for a Nikon FF.

kenwj's gear list:kenwj's gear list
Nikon D800
eNo
eNo
Forum ProPosts: 11,732
Like?
Another non F-mount?

Nikon already surprised me a bit by coming up with a solution (V1/J1) that didn't use their F-mount. Makes life more challenging for them because now they have a different lens line to manufacture. I'm wishing for you are wishing, but I wonder if Nikon will bite. Only way I see it happening is with a fixed lens, which would have to be mighty good for me to be interested.

-- hide signature --

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://imagesbyeduardo.com/main/wedding-photography-los-angeles-story-telling/
Seeking the heart and spirit in each image

michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,677Gear list
Like?
Re: Another non F-mount?
In reply to eNo, Jan 3, 2013

eNo wrote:

Nikon already surprised me a bit by coming up with a solution (V1/J1) that didn't use their F-mount. Makes life more challenging for them because now they have a different lens line to manufacture. I'm wishing for you are wishing, but I wonder if Nikon will bite. Only way I see it happening is with a fixed lens, which would have to be mighty good for me to be interested.

-- hide signature --

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://imagesbyeduardo.com/main/wedding-photography-los-angeles-story-telling/
Seeking the heart and spirit in each image

They wouldn't necessarily have to come out with a new mount.  I agree, that to come out with a mirrorless camera and not take advantage of the size savings that could be gained from mirrorless may not make a lot of sense.  But they could just stick the F mount on a new mirrorless if they wanted a mirrorless camera

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Another non F-mount? Correct
In reply to michaeladawson, Jan 3, 2013

The only issue surely is register distance? I am not an optical engineer, but commonsense indicates that the only issue is maintaining register distance and image circle?

There will sitll be gains such as no mechanical shutter, hence improved fps, focusing improvement as direct to sensor reading, focus improvements for manual focusing, less breakdown due to less moving parts etc.

The thing is, I do believe a NEX 7 FF would rock the market. Any legacy lens (brand) on a FF image sensor?

Therefore, if Nikon kept the register distance, it would be true to the F-Mount and Nikon legacy, so the 'right' thing to do for Nikon users.

But if Sony could keep the register distance of a FF NEX shorter as it is, they would maintain the wide amount of lens choices and thereby make it a universal camera, as the APS-C NEX 7 is now.

The only issue with that is that it would also hurt their own DSLR sales (though they will still continue to some extent as many still only want AF). But many may buy such a camera as a second body.

-- hide signature --

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
ScottRH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,629
Like?

Hawaii-geek wrote:

Curious, who thinks Nikon will have a FF Mirror-less for 2013 ? I think so.

Nikon 1 sales strength is a surprise to me, so hopefully this will help Nikon to push onto a PRO FF Mirror-less.

My hopeful features:

1) FF 24mp

2) 6fps at least , In Body VR that would be a surprise!

4) Sealed , build like the D800, two SD is ok to keep size down. USB3 (match up with D800)

5) Fast AF , and CAF ... with EVF hopefully fast face recognition and exposure priority for group shots. needs to be next gen from V1 or even the next upgrade V1 model.

6) * CLS trigger , on board Flash ... hopefully RADIO. body alone MUST trigger CLS flashes.

7) WiFi built in (P&S have it) ... easy way to FB , Twitter, web site upload Flicker, Smugmug,

8) because I am thinking this body would be great for a Second body Wide lens. Right out with the first shipment , Ship a "made for Mirror-less" 20mm f2.8 , or 30mm f1.4 that shows how small a Mirror-less fast wide lens can be on FF.

imho, a hold up for Nikon on this would be the AF.

Just my 2013 thoughts, Happy New Year !

HG

-- hide signature --

I hope they do not, and rather see them stabilize the last two FX bodies they released.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads