Canon S95 vs Sony RX100 unscientific comparison

Started Jan 2, 2013 | Discussions
Robert Anderson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,261
Like?
Canon S95 vs Sony RX100 unscientific comparison
Jan 2, 2013

The S95 has been my favorite pocket camera for years and I still use two of them for stereoscopic work. I recently got the Sony RX100 so I decided to to do a quick comparison of indoor shots without flash.

RX100 ISO 400

S95 ISO 400

RX100 ISO 800

S95 ISO 800

Click through to the original images to see the full size.

Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Steen Bay
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,188
Like?
Re: Canon S95 vs Sony RX100 unscientific comparison
In reply to Robert Anderson, Jan 2, 2013

Well, in this little comparison the RX100 wins rather clearly, IMO.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robert Anderson
Like?
In reply to Steen Bay, Jan 2, 2013

To my eye, the Rx100 images are sharper, more contrasty and have shallower depth of field which gives better separation between the subject and background. I shoot lots of indoor people pictures and prefer not to use flash. The 20MP image size gives lots of room to crop and still get an image that will print well at 8 x 10.

peter42y
Senior MemberPosts: 2,141Gear list
Like?
In reply to Robert Anderson, Jan 2, 2013

Thanks a lot for the comparison.  Could you post some more images  taken with both cameras ?  I would love to see them. I have the S95  also  and I would love to see how it does compare with the RX100 in real life situations. What about outdoor  color ? Thank you very much for your  good will.

peter42y's gear list:peter42y's gear list
Ricoh Caplio R8 Canon ELPH 500 HS RX100 III Canon EOS M
Robert Anderson
Like?
Some outside shots
In reply to peter42y, Jan 3, 2013

These were focused on the left corner of the brick post

S95

RX100

A couple more

S95

RX100

peter42y
Like?
Re: Some outside shots
In reply to Robert Anderson, Jan 3, 2013

Thanks a lot.

When it does come to outside pictures the color of the RX100 is not so much different  from the color of the s95.

I did  some comparisons myself , this time  between  a DSLR A500, S95, and Canon SX220HS .

https://picasaweb.google.com/114789400917962785326/A500VsS95VsSX220HS

In case you have more pictures shot with both cameras they would be welcomed.

Thank You

bibi0012
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,106Gear list
Like?

I have a S95. I can clearly see RX100 has much more clarity and details when viewed at full size.

Thank you so much for your time and effort. Really appreciated!

bibi0012's gear list:bibi0012's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D50 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II +4 more
peter42y
Like?
In reply to bibi0012, Jan 3, 2013

these comparisons of pictures side by side ( in real life ) are the best ones  in order to show the capabilities of a camera.

What about the white balance of the camera indoors ?

Sony white balance indoors is worse than  canon white balance. I know it since I have a sony A500 DSLR and 2 canon compacts.

The canon white balance is much better.

Any of the dp review members that have both cameras can post some more indoor pictures under artificial light ?

Thank You very much.

photofan1986
Senior MemberPosts: 2,189Gear list
Like?

Thanks for posting those.

While I agree the RX100 has much better sharpness (in the centre!), I'm not sure there will be much difference for the average snapshooter who's not printing huge posters on a regular basis.

photofan1986's gear list:photofan1986's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +7 more
peter42y
Like?
In reply to photofan1986, Jan 3, 2013

For people  with the S95  this kind of comparison  is extremely useful since it can answer the question : " Is it worthwhile to buy the RX100 "  ?.

Owners of the s95 can  see  how ,in real life,  the RX100  does perform , compared to the camera they now own.

Since I own the s95 I am very interested in this comparison.

Besides the RX100 , Olympus E-PL1 , have an advantage compared to DSLRs.  With them we can shoot wide angle pictures with large aperture lenses.

I have the sony 50 mm , f1.8.  But its a 75 mm  lens equivalent  on a 35 mm camera !!!!! No wide angle.

I like wide angle for low light.

mjdundee
Contributing MemberPosts: 771Gear list
Like?

Hello Robert,

Thanks for this very usefull comparison shots. Of course the RX100 will show more detail with twice the pixel count and the difference is very obvious in all shots. However I'd like to see the first Selfportrait at ISO 400 from the S95 at the same aperture (F2.0) as the RX100 shot.

A much bigger sensor at  F2.0 compared to the S95 at F4.0 is not fair if it comes to the shallow DOF.

Thomas

mjdundee's gear list:mjdundee's gear list
Olympus Stylus 720 SW Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot SX240 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Greg Lavaty
Contributing MemberPosts: 878
Like?
In reply to peter42y, Jan 3, 2013

Pretty much every comparison I have seen strongly indicates that the RX100 is the better machine.  I skipped the s95 and upgraded my s90 to a s100 about a month before the RX100 was announced.  Now I wish I had waited a couple of months more as I think the RX100 would have been a better camera for me.  Of course, maybe my missing the RX100 was a good thing as I didn’t really want to spend $650 on a pocket camera.

Greg

keeponkeepingon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,143
Like?

Wow! Thanks for the comparison!

The ole S95 is doing pretty good against Sony's latest and greatest.  Perhaps too good. It would be hard to show these picts to the wife and with a serious face say "See these picuters. Look at how much better the RX100 is. This here is why we need to spend $600 on a new camera."!

Peter Bendheim
Senior MemberPosts: 2,053Gear list
Like?

Well one would expect the RX100 to be way better - where I in South Africa live I can buy almost 3 S95's for the price of the RX100...and to an extent you get what you pay for. Here the RX100 is about $900 and I paid about $270 for the S90.

On the other hand, the EOS M is about $930 in SA - with flash and 18-55 lens so price wise its comparable.  And a bit bigger, too, but not a lot. The G1X is cheaper here that the RX100 by $150 and while its a lot bigger, I think the image quality is better pixel for pixel than either the EOSM or the RX100.

I own the S95, EOS M and the S95...and tried the RX100 which was impressive, particularly speed-wise.

I suppose all I'm really saying is that for the price difference between the S95 and RX100 there had better be a substantial difference in quality!

-- hide signature --

Peter Bendheim
www.peterbendheim.com

Peter Bendheim's gear list:Peter Bendheim's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +1 more
mjdundee
Contributing MemberPosts: 771Gear list
Like?
In reply to Greg Lavaty, Jan 3, 2013

Greg Lavaty wrote:

Pretty much every comparison I have seen strongly indicates that the RX100 is the better machine. I skipped the s95 and upgraded my s90 to a s100 about a month before the RX100 was announced. Now I wish I had waited a couple of months more as I think the RX100 would have been a better camera for me. Of course, maybe my missing the RX100 was a good thing as I didn’t really want to spend $650 on a pocket camera.

Greg

And the best thing is - nextime a decision is up you will get a much better camera for the money - and maybe don't even have to switch brand. ; )

Thomas

mjdundee's gear list:mjdundee's gear list
Olympus Stylus 720 SW Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot SX240 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
saudidave
Regular MemberPosts: 433Gear list
Like?
In reply to Peter Bendheim, Jan 3, 2013

Whilst I know the OP was talking about an S95, but I had a similar dilemma - RX100 or S100? Whilst the money was irrelevant to me I'm not for throwing the stuff away if I don't need to and I had to consider do I spend £450.00 or £230.00?. Well there is little doubt that the RX100 is a little better IQ all round than the Canon but it doesn't go as wide as an S100 (28 V 24) which is a massive disadvantage around town and it doesn't go as long as an S100 either (28-100 V 24-120). It's also less pocketable.

For me it was a no brainer- I bought an S100 & I'm well pleased with it. The law of diminishing returns ruled for me!

saudidave's gear list:saudidave's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60)
sensingsys
Senior MemberPosts: 1,498
Like?
In reply to Greg Lavaty, Jan 3, 2013

Greg Lavaty wrote:

Of course, maybe my missing the RX100 was a good thing as I didn’t really want to spend $650 on a pocket camera.

Greg

I am constantly surprised at people talking about the RX100 as a pocket camera, you must have very big pockets.  Compact yes - but ​pocket ?  This is one of the two reasons I did not even consider the RX100 when I bought my S100.

Greg Lavaty
Like?
In reply to sensingsys, Jan 3, 2013

Well, when I played with the RX100 in the store it certainly seemed a lot more pocketable than the other options (Canon GX1, m4/3 system cameras…).  Yes it isn’t as small as the S100 but still seems to me like the most pocketable option other than the s110/s100…  You also might consider that my walk around camera is the EOS 7D with EF 500mm f/4L IS USM and EF 1.4x II so compared to that, yea the RX100 is very pocketable

Greg

Greg Lavaty
Like?
In reply to saudidave, Jan 3, 2013

Yes, the difference in angle of view at the wide end was one of the places that I really preferred the s100.  I do find that the 24mm equiv is very useful vs 28.  The cost for me was a bit of a big deal also.  From what I have seen the IQ from the RX100 is more than “a little better.”  In the landscape photos that I have tried to do with the two I am seeing detail in grass and leaves that I just don’t get in the s100 shots.  Maybe for the general shooter this isn’t a big deal but it is significant for me.

In the end I used the 24mm equiv lens and the price to justify keeping my s100.  I still think it would be nice to have the RX100 instead but that will only happen if the s100 breaks again.

Greg

Greg Lavaty
Like?
In reply to mjdundee, Jan 3, 2013

All true!  The brand, however, doesn’t really matter too much for me, especially since Canon doesn’t really seem to keep the menus/controls very similar across their line.  This means that I have to adjust to a completely different way of doing things even though all of my cameras are Canon brand.  Switching to Sony wouldn’t be that much steeper of a learning curve.

Greg

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads