Auto lighting optimiser and highlight tone priority

Started Jan 2, 2013 | Questions
DigitalNick
Forum MemberPosts: 60
Like?
Auto lighting optimiser and highlight tone priority
Jan 2, 2013

I shoot almost exclusively RAW and refine in LR - do I need to bother with setting either of the above or do they effect post-processing in camera only? 60D by the way...

-- hide signature --

-Nick-

ANSWER:
Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
fortwodriver
Regular MemberPosts: 167
Like?
Re: Auto lighting optimiser and highlight tone priority
In reply to DigitalNick, Jan 2, 2013

I don't see the point if you're shooting RAW.  All of the sensor data is loaded into the file.  You can do essentially everything those functions do using the curves and shadow-highlight adjusters in your RAW processing software.

I even turn off Peripheral Correction.  I find these features that "correct" issues actually flatten the image a bit - it kinda removes the character of the lens you're using anyway.

DigitalNick wrote:

I shoot almost exclusively RAW and refine in LR - do I need to bother with setting either of the above or do they effect post-processing in camera only? 60D by the way...

-- hide signature --

-Nick-

-- hide signature --

Cheerio...
Frank...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DigitalNick
Like?
In reply to fortwodriver, Jan 2, 2013

OK, I guess my question was do either of these tools affect the RAW image capture at all (for example, does 'Highlight Tone Priority' just under-expose by say 1/3 stop and therefore affect the RAW capture)?

-- hide signature --

-Nick-

Karl Gnter Wnsch
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,547
Like?
In reply to DigitalNick, Jan 2, 2013

DigitalNick wrote:

OK, I guess my question was do either of these tools affect the RAW image capture at all (for example, does 'Highlight Tone Priority' just under-expose by say 1/3 stop and therefore affect the RAW capture)?

It's worse than that. ALO does nothing to the RAW but influences the way the camera meters to a small degree. HTP on the other hand is a major change in the way the amplifiers on the sensor are operated (bright areas are less amplified by one full stop) - and it's one that LR can't properly handle.

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

DigitalNick
Like?
In reply to Karl Gnter Wnsch, Jan 2, 2013

So I can't ignore them then, I really do need to turn both to 'Disable'?

-- hide signature --

-Nick-

bluestreakrem
Regular MemberPosts: 144
Like?
In reply to Karl Gnter Wnsch, Jan 2, 2013

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

DigitalNick wrote:

It's worse than that. ALO does nothing to the RAW but influences the way the camera meters to a small degree. HTP on the other hand is a major change in the way the amplifiers on the sensor are operated (bright areas are less amplified by one full stop) - and it's one that LR can't properly handle.

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

So if we're not post processing images or shooting RAW...........I guess we should enable both settings?

davinci953
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
In reply to DigitalNick, Jan 3, 2013

Per Canon's Chuck Westfall, HTP does affect RAW data as well as in-camera JPGs; ALO does not affect RAW data.  He doesn't elaborate how the RAW data is affected.  If you're shooting RAW, ALO can be turned on or off in DPP.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Topaz
Contributing MemberPosts: 588
Like?
In reply to Karl Gnter Wnsch, Jan 3, 2013

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

Karl, I have one question for you.   Are you sure LR can't handle RAW files encoded with the flag for HTP?

I've heard this statement many times, and I always took it as gospel.  But I have some spare time this morning, so I just tried loading an HTP RAW file into LR.  To be honest, this is purely academic for me, and it's the first time I enabled HTP since I bought my 7D three years ago and decided I had to play with every feature

But anyway, to me it looks like LR is handling it perfectly.  Am I missing something, or is it possible Adobe enhanced LR to handle HTP, without announcing it?

DigitalNick
Like?
In reply to davinci953, Jan 3, 2013

Great, thanks, that was the answer I was looking for. Guess I'll turn both off for now then have a look under controlled conditions at some point in the future.

-- hide signature --

-Nick-

Karl Gnter Wnsch
Like?
In reply to Topaz, Jan 3, 2013

Topaz wrote:

or is it possible Adobe enhanced LR to handle HTP, without announcing it?

Anything is possible and I wouldn't put it past them to do just that. My confidence level in this regard though is low as LR has numerous problems processing Canon RAW files - so much so that for example the free RawTherapee thoroughly trashes the current LR in quality...

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

Topaz
Contributing MemberPosts: 588
Like?
In reply to Karl Gnter Wnsch, Jan 3, 2013

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

Topaz wrote:

or is it possible Adobe enhanced LR to handle HTP, without announcing it?

Anything is possible and I wouldn't put it past them to do just that. My confidence level in this regard though is low as LR has numerous problems processing Canon RAW files - so much so that for example the free RawTherapee thoroughly trashes the current LR in quality...

Thanks Karl.  I would have expected that if LR was completely ignoring the HTP flag, the files would have imported looking 1 stop darker than non-HTP files.  But that's not happening, as far as I can tell.

On a side note, you have me very curious about RawTherapee now.  I'm going to have to have to go try it out!  (my poor google skills prevented me from finding much discussion comparing it to LR4 for any camera raw formats, let alone Canon).  I'm going to blame you for destroying all my spare time if I end up motivated to go re-process several years of RAW shots

KariP
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,398Gear list
Like?
Still something about HTP....
In reply to DigitalNick, Jan 3, 2013

Shooting RAW in special circumstances with HTP ON  gives better results. IMO

I am spending part of my time by the sea. On a sunny day the light is contrasty and my cameras (7D) dynamic range is not quite  wide enough - HTP seems to add some headroom to the highlights.

And since it affects RAW files (not just flagging them-doing something with the curves and sensor amplification - Canon does not tell exactly what)  my software Aperture  works normally with it.  I have not made any science about this but HTP seems to preserve some highlights better... without any side-effects.

-- hide signature --

Kari
SLR photography started in 1968, 40D since 2007, and now 7D !
60.21 N 24.86 E

KariP's gear list:KariP's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
Karl Gnter Wnsch
Like?
Re: Still something about HTP....
In reply to KariP, Jan 3, 2013

KariP wrote:

but HTP seems to preserve some highlights better...

That's what it's supposed to do and it makes sense to utilize this function if you are encountering the proper conditions to warrant it's use. If the conditions don't necessitate it's use then don't use it!

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads