Kauai sunrise

Started Jan 2, 2013 | Questions
joelroffman
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
Kauai sunrise
Jan 2, 2013

I will be going to Kauai, Hawaii in early March. I love to take photos at sunrise. Along the Waimea Canyon, where is the best place to take pictures of sunrise?

Any other suggestions of sunrise photos in Kauai?

Thanks!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
General333
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
Re: Kauai sunrise
In reply to joelroffman, Jan 4, 2013

The main lookout (and all others) on the western side faces rougly east/northeast. However during actual sunrise the canyon will be in deep shadows, and especially the canyon walls you are facing will stay like that for a long time. Not sure if you want to take shots of the canyon in early morning light or of the sunrise itself. Might be difficult to get decent pictures even with HDR.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
joelroffman
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
In reply to General333, Jan 4, 2013

Thanks for your reply. When I took pictures at Bryce Canyon, I did so with the sun behind me, but the subjects were not nearly as deep below grade as Waimea Canyon would be. Where would you think the best early morning photos would be shot from?

Thanks!

General333
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
In reply to joelroffman, Jan 8, 2013

Well I myself prefer coastlines for sunset/sunrise, unless there is some other interesting landscape to 'use' available. One important thing is where you are located on the island, it takes pretty long to drive all the way around. I have not seen that much of the eastern coast (it is not the most famous part of the island), maybe the Wailua River mouth could be an option there.

Other than that I would recommend the beaches and bays east of Poipu, e.g. Shipwreck or Maha'ulepu, the second is not so easy to reach however (dirt road which is usually not allowed with rental cars or by hike). They both face southeast and there are lots of small cliffs as observation points there, the landscape is beautiful.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads