Hogan, Camera Critic, abandons long-time hiking partner Nikon DX in wilderness

Started Jan 1, 2013 | Discussions
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,915Gear list
Like?
Hogan, Camera Critic, abandons long-time hiking partner Nikon DX in wilderness
Jan 1, 2013

Thom Hogan, respected author of numerous Nikon camera equipment guides and noted commentator on the camera industry, confirmed suspicions that his relationship with Nikon DX DSLRs, enstranged in recent months, has ended.  Close friends and acquaintances had noted increasing hostility towards Nikon equipment in general and Nikon DX equipment in particular on his bythom.com website, culminating in the strikethough of his DX equipment list on that site's home page earlier this year and more frequent updating of posts on his newer website dedicated to mirrorless cameras, sansmirror.com.

Writing in a December 27th sansmirror.com blog post "Sansmirror Serious Camera of the Year ", Hogan acknowledged that the D7000 Nikon DX SLR he always partnered with on wilderness photo excursions had been replaced by a younger and more athletic Olympus OM-D EM-5.  He specifically complained of DX's parents' growing lack of respect and its unwillingness to keep itself in shape, citing its persistently slow vision - never great - its steady weight gains, and its inability to perform significantly better than the Olympus in landscapes.

Apparently, Hogan has also now decided to engage in open relationships.  He admits to spending most of his time at home, in urban settings, sports venues, and studios with the large-sensored cousins of the D7000, D600 and D800 Nikon FX, claiming that their performance there is far more satisfying even though they're far higher maintenance, have a serious weight problem, and can't see without extremely expensive prescription lenses.  But the Olympus OM-D EM-5 is now always at his side when he ventures to his favorite environment, nature.

The Nikon DX family could not be reached for comment.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Nikon D600 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
FujicaST605
Regular MemberPosts: 366Gear list
Like?
Re: Hogan, Camera Critic, abandons long-time hiking partner Nikon DX in wilderness
In reply to mosswings, Jan 1, 2013

This is not surprising.  Thom admits to being from the Galen School.

FujicaST605's gear list:FujicaST605's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,554
Like?
Re: Hogan, Camera Critic, abandons long-time hiking partner Nikon DX in wilderness
In reply to mosswings, Jan 1, 2013

He's getting old.  He's tired of "lugging around" a DSLR.  I've noticed a lot of people abandoning one ship or another once the Olympus OM-D EM-5 came on the scene.  Without it I doubt that people would have felt the freedom to finally give up a full size camera.

JimPearce
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,359Gear list
Like?
Galen's father was Aelius Nicon...
In reply to FujicaST605, Jan 2, 2013

A coincidence? I think not.

-- hide signature --

Jim

JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100
LJohnK2
Regular MemberPosts: 399Gear list
Like?
Re: My Hogan Prediction Post 2013
In reply to mosswings, Jan 2, 2013

mosswings wrote:

Thom Hogan, respected author of numerous Nikon camera equipment guides and noted commentator on the camera industry, confirmed suspicions that his relationship with Nikon DX DSLRs, enstranged in recent months, has ended. Close friends and acquaintances had noted increasing hostility towards Nikon equipment in general and Nikon DX equipment in particular on his bythom.com website, culminating in the strikethough of his DX equipment list on that site's home page earlier this year and more frequent updating of posts on his newer website dedicated to mirrorless cameras, sansmirror.com.

Writing in a December 27th sansmirror.com blog post "Sansmirror Serious Camera of the Year ", Hogan acknowledged that the D7000 Nikon DX SLR he always partnered with on wilderness photo excursions had been replaced by a younger and more athletic Olympus OM-D EM-5. He specifically complained of DX's parents' growing lack of respect and its unwillingness to keep itself in shape, citing its persistently slow vision - never great - its steady weight gains, and its inability to perform significantly better than the Olympus in landscapes.

Apparently, Hogan has also now decided to engage in open relationships. He admits to spending most of his time at home, in urban settings, sports venues, and studios with the large-sensored cousins of the D7000, D600 and D800 Nikon FX, claiming that their performance there is far more satisfying even though they're far higher maintenance, have a serious weight problem, and can't see without extremely expensive prescription lenses. But the Olympus OM-D EM-5 is now always at his side when he ventures to his favorite environment, nature.

I find all the OM-D hoopla kind of funny.

Olympus made decent DSLR body's for many years but they never quite managed to produce a design to match the great line of  quality glass they produced...... after years of management blunders Oly finally ditched 4/3rds in 2009.

Then after 4 years  and 7 mediocre m4/3rds.... Oly finally produces 1 decent body, the OM-D EM-5 and for this Mr.Hogan switches from DX ????

Prediction:   If Hogan has indeed gone from DX to m4/3 I'm guessing that 2 years from now he will be complaining on his mirrorless site that Olympus is not fulfilling m4/3rds users needs, no significant progress in lineup, etc, etc.

To quote British Rocker's  the Who ....." Won't get fooled again"

-- hide signature --

LJohnK

LJohnK2's gear list:LJohnK2's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W50 Olympus E-510 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +8 more
Son Of Waldo
Regular MemberPosts: 260
Like?

mosswings wrote:

Thom Hogan, respected author of numerous Nikon camera equipment guides and noted commentator on the camera industry, confirmed suspicions that his relationship with Nikon DX DSLRs, enstranged in recent months, has ended. Close friends and acquaintances had noted increasing hostility towards Nikon equipment in general and Nikon DX equipment in particular on his bythom.com website, culminating in the strikethough of his DX equipment list on that site's home page earlier this year and more frequent updating of posts on his newer website dedicated to mirrorless cameras, sansmirror.com.

Writing in a December 27th sansmirror.com blog post "Sansmirror Serious Camera of the Year ", Hogan acknowledged that the D7000 Nikon DX SLR he always partnered with on wilderness photo excursions had been replaced by a younger and more athletic Olympus OM-D EM-5. He specifically complained of DX's parents' growing lack of respect and its unwillingness to keep itself in shape, citing its persistently slow vision - never great - its steady weight gains, and its inability to perform significantly better than the Olympus in landscapes.

4:3 instead of 3:2 aspect ratios for landscape? Really?

I can understand (like many) the frustration over what is perceived as slow growth in DX lens development. Nikon for one however, are having to spread their R&D dollars over (now three) different interchangeable lens formats in a still slowing and very competitive worldwide market. BTW, how's that EM-5 handle with a quickly mounted hot shoe flash (and powerful while we're at it too - hello SB-800) ???

Apparently, Hogan has also now decided to engage in open relationships. He admits to spending most of his time at home, in urban settings, sports venues, and studios with the large-sensored cousins of the D7000, D600 and D800 Nikon FX, claiming that their performance there is far more satisfying even though they're far higher maintenance, have a serious weight problem, and can't see without extremely expensive prescription lenses. But the Olympus OM-D EM-5 is now always at his side when he ventures to his favorite environment, nature.

Arguing or pondering over what someone else will or will nor be using is pretty much a waste of time, IMO. I look at (and own) lenses like the 20/2.8 AF and 24/2.8 AF and am all but assured that Nikon can (and will) develop some modern, smaller, very competent prime lenses (in the meantime - many of the older F-mount lenses are cheap, solid, plentiful with excellent central sharpness).

I'm still 'stuck' with older DX technology (D90, Tokina 12-24/4 1st version , oh my!), and I fail to see how DX will not be able to compete (and sooner than later, see 24 mpx DX) with the 'backwoods / long hikes' type cameras:

• a 12-24 type lens covers a lot of ground with DX and will be all the wide angle many (or most) will ever need. Are they absolutely as good as they can get yet(?), I doubt it.

• as experts in the field of small, sharp zooms (IMO), Nikon can (and should) take a lens like the (excellent) 55-200 VR, making some small (but significant) improvements, keeping the size and price down as mucl as possible.

• they already have a small, sharp (and very good) normal with the 35/1.8 G. An inexpensive, fast, smallish 18 to24mm DX prime makes sense. I have no idea why Nikon have not released (or talked of releasing) a lens like this. BTW, where is the smallish 17-50ish f 2.8 Nikon zoom that both Tamron and Sigma have released? I doesn't have to be perfect, just sharp.

Now, about how much size, weight and money will I be saving with 4/3? I know, I know,what about the 85/1.4, 80-200/2.8 (and on, and on, and on) equivalents that 4/3 has been building upon (I need 14-400mm equivalent, after all, and always!!!) for some time? One never knows when quick portrait might be needed out in the middle of nowhere (I'll take a small, sharp macro personally however - see Nikon 40/2.8G.)...

4/3 might have become a way of life for some (see DPReview 4/3 fanatical, defensive, fanboy forums), among the only real advantages I can find personally are with some smallish telephoto options (and BTW, don't bother with the big f2 zooms Olympus, the balancing must be ridiculously poor on that handy OM-5). And finally, the 4/3 system is now closer to the pinnacle of what can be done with a given sensor size (and similar sensor technologies) than APS-C currently is, IMO.

Any questions?

toomanycanons
Like?
In reply to Son Of Waldo, Jan 2, 2013

I've owned five 18-55 VR Nikon lenses (got them with cameras kits I bought).  I sold every one of them.  It's been over a year since I owned one and just couldn't pass up on a refurb price I came across at Cameta, so I bought another one.

Why?  Every year my needs change and my tests of whether a camera or lens works like I want changes.  This time, all I need is a backup to my 18-105 VR (my copy is very sharp and a keeper) that I can take on walk arounds but know I'm getting basically the same shots as my 18-105.  As it turns out, the 18-55 VR I got is just about as good, good enough that I will shoot with confidence with it.  Funny, though, its 18 is not as wide as my 18-105's 18.

What's this got to do with Thom going with an Olympus?  Not a dam thing!

Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,390Gear list
Like?
Not sure I agree, Mosswings
In reply to toomanycanons, Jan 2, 2013

Not sure I agree, Mosswings (whoever you really are). I have had conversations with Thom (email) and he is again very disgruntled with Nikon. On the other hand he has been dedicating a LOT of ink to the upcoming DX offerings in Q1. The Olympus has one glaring fault - electronic viewfinder/slow focusing. Hey, if you can live with that . . . and the fact that it is NOT a true system camera (with a full compliment of lenses to match), go for it. Me, I shall see what Nikon has to offer in the next month or so.

Oh yeah, and about all those Nikon books he wrote, mostly DX. Burn them? I think NOT. How come all this hostility towards the Nikon DX format on THIS DX forum????????
--
Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,390Gear list
Like?
Just last week Thom said . . .

A quote from last week (Thom):

Yet DX is the core of Nikon's interchangeable lens camera sales. No matter how you try to slice it, DX is the volume in that category. Even deeply discounted CX and FX cameras don't change that. Another year of neglect in the DX lineup should create massive concern to Nikon users, so I don't expect one. Still, there seem to be three potential scenarios: (a) DX entries continue to limp along with a D7000 replacement and a lens or two; (b) Nikon freshens the entire DX line and is aggressive about it like they were with FX this year; or (c) DX starts a transition of some sort, to mirrorless or SLT or something a bit different than the current DSLR. (b) is what they should do, (a) is what everyone is expecting them to do, and (c) would be unexpected.
The first opportunities for DX redemption come in the big trade shows in January and February. Last year it was the D4-D800 one-two punch, with two great f/1.8 primes wrapped around it. So we shouldn't have to wait long to get a taste of how much Nikon thinks they have to do with DX.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
JimPearce
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,359Gear list
Like?
CES...
In reply to Steve Bingham, Jan 2, 2013

New Nikon 1 junk. Not a good start on 2013 Steve.

-- hide signature --

Jim

JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,915Gear list
Like?
Re: Not sure I agree, Mosswings

Steve Bingham wrote:

Not sure I agree, Mosswings (whoever you really are). I have had conversations with Thom (email) and he is again very disgruntled with Nikon. On the other hand he has been dedicating a LOT of ink to the upcoming DX offerings in Q1. The Olympus has one glaring fault - electronic viewfinder/slow focusing. Hey, if you can live with that . . . and the fact that it is NOT a true system camera (with a full compliment of lenses to match), go for it. Me, I shall see what Nikon has to offer in the next month or so.

Oh yeah, and about all those Nikon books he wrote, mostly DX. Burn them? I think NOT. How come all this hostility towards the Nikon DX format on THIS DX forum????????
--
Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Oh, for heavens sakes, folks, did anyone happen to notice that I was writing a satirical piece based on Thom's post? This was intended to be a laugh and an opportunity to have some fun. Of course the OMD is not the universally competent camera that any DSLR is, and its system is sparse in comparison. It's just a damn good camera for a lot of purposes. It just so happened that Thom put his money where his mouth is: he buys appropriate tools for appropriate purposes, and he's found that the OMD works just fine for his wilderness landscape photo needs.  Everything else he does is still Nikon-driven. I thought it might be fun to write a tabloid-style piece on the theme he introduced.

Hmmm. From all the gravely serious responses this post has generated, I'd say that I and Thom hit a nerve.  How many of us would secretly prefer that Nikon embrace Galen's philosophy as assiduously as their present one?

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
ChristianHass
Senior MemberPosts: 1,925Gear list
Like?
Re: Not sure I agree, Mosswings

First Ken Rockwell switches his allegiance from Nikon to Canon and now Thom Hogan ditches Nikon DX for Olympus m43. Shame it didn't align better with the Mayan calendar, because these are sure signs of the imminent end of the world! 

-- hide signature --

Shooting for fun and memories.

ChristianHass's gear list:ChristianHass's gear list
Sigma DP1x Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony RX100 II
aeschylus
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
In reply to toomanycanons, Jan 2, 2013

toomanycanons wrote:

Every year my needs change and my tests of whether a camera or lens works like I want changes.

Every year? I struggle to understand how one's photographic needs change on a yearly basis. Doesn't this lead to a great deal of frustration?

aeschylus's gear list:aeschylus's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
illy
Forum ProPosts: 12,160Gear list
Like?
In reply to aeschylus, Jan 2, 2013

aeschylus wrote:

toomanycanons wrote:

Every year my needs change and my tests of whether a camera or lens works like I want changes.

Every year? I struggle to understand how one's photographic needs change on a yearly basis. Doesn't this lead to a great deal of frustration?

probably for most of us yes, i guess it creates traffic to his site and suits his needs more, 1 man changes his mind

-- hide signature --

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

illy's gear list:illy's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Shakens
Regular MemberPosts: 430Gear list
Like?

who cares what camera he uses

I know I dont

-- hide signature --

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
Nikon D5100...Canon SX230HS...Panasonic FZ48/TZ6
Hi from England

Shakens's gear list:Shakens's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +7 more
toomanycanons
Like?
In reply to aeschylus, Jan 2, 2013

aeschylus wrote:

toomanycanons wrote:

Don't struggle, be happy!  From landscapes to portraits, from outdoors to indoors on a tripod, from indoors on a tripod to indoors handheld, from static shots to sports.  Never frustrated.

Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,246Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shakens, Jan 2, 2013

It's just the oracular omnipresence of Thom.  You will be absorbed in good time.

Shunda77
Senior MemberPosts: 1,658Gear list
Like?
Thom has lost the plot.

Steve Bingham wrote:

Yet DX is the core of Nikon's interchangeable lens camera sales. No matter how you try to slice it, DX is the volume in that category. Even deeply discounted CX and FX cameras don't change that. Another year of neglect in the DX lineup should create massive concern to Nikon users, so I don't expect one. Still, there seem to be three potential scenarios: (a) DX entries continue to limp along with a D7000 replacement and a lens or two; (b) Nikon freshens the entire DX line and is aggressive about it like they were with FX this year; or (c) DX starts a transition of some sort, to mirrorless or SLT or something a bit different than the current DSLR. (b) is what they should do, (a) is what everyone is expecting them to do, and (c) would be unexpected.
The first opportunities for DX redemption come in the big trade shows in January and February. Last year it was the D4-D800 one-two punch, with two great f/1.8 primes wrapped around it. So we shouldn't have to wait long to get a taste of how much Nikon thinks they have to do with DX.

I would almost put money on the possibility that Thom has some personal grudge against someone from Nikon (or 'someones') and this is him throwing his toys out of the cot. They probably didn't give him a camera (or cameras) for free or something.

He won't go quite far enough to completely alienate all those people buying his guides though, too much money to be made.

If Thom thinks Nikon is getting behind the rest of the APS-C DSLR competition, he is an idiot of profound proportions, Nikon sensors are 1.5 generations ahead of Canon's with no reply from Canon yet in sight.

A Nikon DSLR is a hell of a lot more for the money than some retro styled 4/3rds camera, though it actually (for a change) does have a half decent sensor.

Yet I can still do more with my 'lowly' D5100 and get better image quality, especially for landscapes.

And weight?? 425g vs 555g for the D5200? Please, it's barely worth even mentioning. Four thirds Interchangeable lens cameras are much the same for weight/portability unless you only carry a pancake prime.

Why people worship this guy I have no idea, he is the one losing relevance now, not Nikon.

String
Senior MemberPosts: 1,368Gear list
Like?
Re: Thom has lost the plot.
In reply to Shunda77, Jan 2, 2013

Well as a long term Nikon user (since the mid 70's), I can tell you that there is a huge weight savings on going to m43. Yep, a 5100 may be close to the same weight (body) as an OM-D, however it's not nearly as durable a build, weatherproof, or has the external controls. Add in a full compliment of glass... You can carry from (35 equiv.) 14mm all the way to 150mm in a tiny bag (and that's an f4, an f2.8 and an f1.8). I can also say that the OM-D has less noise and more DR than my D300, single target focuses faster and I don't stick out like sore thumb when walking down the street.

Of course, it's not a choice for everyone. However since reaching 50, I really don't miss hiking/backpacking/vacationing with 30+ lbs of gear on my back. I can completely understand where Thom is coming from. Are there features/design decisions that I wish it had? Of course the are, just like every other camera I've ever owned.

Oh and btw, if you would actually read Thoms site, you would realize than he doesn't just "get" freebies from Nikon (or anyone else). He buy's them, just like the rest of us. And yes, his opinion's are completely valid; he has more exposure to "gear" than 95% of us and uses it to make a living with. I suspect he knows a substantial amount more regarding photography than do the majority of people on this site.

String's gear list:String's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +6 more
IrishhAndy
Contributing MemberPosts: 868
Like?
Re: Thom has lost the plot.
In reply to Shunda77, Jan 2, 2013

Shunda77 wrote:

Steve Bingham wrote:

I would almost put money on the possibility that Thom has some personal grudge against someone from Nikon (or 'someones') and this is him throwing his toys out of the cot. They probably didn't give him a camera (or cameras) for free or something.

He won't go quite far enough to completely alienate all those people buying his guides though, too much money to be made.

If Thom thinks Nikon is getting behind the rest of the APS-C DSLR competition, he is an idiot of profound proportions, Nikon sensors are 1.5 generations ahead of Canon's with no reply from Canon yet in sight.

A Nikon DSLR is a hell of a lot more for the money than some retro styled 4/3rds camera, though it actually (for a change) does have a half decent sensor.

Yet I can still do more with my 'lowly' D5100 and get better image quality, especially for landscapes.

And weight?? 425g vs 555g for the D5200? Please, it's barely worth even mentioning. Four thirds Interchangeable lens cameras are much the same for weight/portability unless you only carry a pancake prime.

Why people worship this guy I have no idea, he is the one losing relevance now, not Nikon.

THe focus system is archaic.

-- hide signature --

A solution looking for a problem !

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads