Minolta 50mm Macro F3.5, different MD mount?? What adapter are you guys using?

Started Dec 31, 2012 | Discussions
iSurvivor
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?
Minolta 50mm Macro F3.5, different MD mount?? What adapter are you guys using?
Dec 31, 2012

I just bought this lens and its not fitting to my Widepan MD-Nex adapter. My other Minolta 50mm F1.4 with MD mount fits fine though. I checked to see if there was anything wrong with the macro lens mount but there isn't. Any clues as to why this MD mount doesn't fit but the other does? TIA

-- hide signature --

iSurvivor

iSurvivor's gear list:iSurvivor's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +3 more
mkandil
Regular MemberPosts: 456Gear list
Like?
Re: Minolta 50mm Macro F3.5, different MD mount?? What adapter are you guys using?
In reply to iSurvivor, Dec 31, 2012
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,845Gear list
Like?
Re: Minolta 50mm Macro F3.5, different MD mount?? What adapter are you guys using?
In reply to iSurvivor, Jan 2, 2013

iSurvivor wrote:

I just bought this lens and its not fitting to my Widepan MD-Nex adapter.

Hmm. Most SR/MC/MD adapters use a little trick to make their mounts easier to assemble and stronger. Instead of using springs to hold the flanges tight, they have a thin slot cut in the flanges so that the flange thickness can be tweaked (insert and slightly twist the head of a small screwdriver) for a tight fit. This works great, but not if the slot thickness is wrong. My guess is that your adapter has the slots and somebody made them too wide, so your lens doesn't easily mount....

If I'm right, gently forcing the lens on a few times will probably flatten the slots enough to make things work... but yeah, that is a bit scary.  You can get another adapter for less than $10....  

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +19 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 12,838Gear list
Like?

iSurvivor wrote:

I just bought this lens and its not fitting to my Widepan MD-Nex adapter. My other Minolta 50mm F1.4 with MD mount fits fine though. I checked to see if there was anything wrong with the macro lens mount but there isn't. Any clues as to why this MD mount doesn't fit but the other does? TIA

-- hide signature --

iSurvivor

You did not specify which Minolta 3.5/50 macro lens you have. If it says MD or MD on the front of the lens it should work with your MD adapter. If it says QF or AF, it won't.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
iSurvivor
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?
In reply to captura, Jan 2, 2013

It says MD on both the lens and the adapter.

-- hide signature --

iSurvivor

iSurvivor's gear list:iSurvivor's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +3 more
ProfHankD
Like?
The old slot in the flange trick?

iSurvivor wrote:

It says MD on both the lens and the adapter.

I'm betting on the slots in the flanges on the adapter -- have you looked to see if your adapter has them? Here's a photo DPR user twald posted some time ago clearly showing the slot:

You pry the slot wider with a screwdriver to tighten, but to make it looser, all I know is working a lens onto/off it a few times. I know that sounds a bit scary....

The spring Minolta used in their camera body mounts allowed a much larger variation in flange thickness without having any play or needing any adjustment, so some people seek-out adapters with springs -- but I've never actually seen one with a spring.

Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +19 more
bzx
bzx
Regular MemberPosts: 213Gear list
Like?
do you have to "fight" with fitting the lens?

I also have a HK/ebay adapter for MD and also having issues with it - first of all it is quite hard to fit the lens, I have to fiddle with the position and use a relative amount of force to push the lens into the adapter (there are no issues with the E-mount side of the adapter). I have a 50mm f2 MD and 135mm f3.5 MD and it's the same for both. I played around with the aforementioned screw to see if that makes any difference but it doesn't.

Would that mean that the adapter is minimally too small? I know the adapters are cheap but if the next one is the same... Are the "branded" ones (like fotodiox, metabones, etc) any better really?

Also, the space between fitted lens and adapter on top is bigger than on the bottom (small, but noticeable difference). Do you think that affects optical performance?

Thanks,

-- hide signature --

t[+]m

bzx's gear list:bzx's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +2 more
KM Legacy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,955
Like?

I think you are suffering from Cheap Chinese Adapter Defect Syndrome. I will have to add your symptom to my collection of other defects, including failure to focus to infinity, focusing beyond infinity, leaking light, tripod mount falling off, etc.

You get what you pay for. I checked the Metabones website, and their adapters for Nikon F and Canon EF have springs, not shoddy little "you adjust it with a knife or screwdriver" slots. They don't seem to have an adapter for Minolta MD to NEX. It's had to tell for sure, but the Novoflex adapter seems to have springs also. Fotodiox is simply a higher grade of Chinese adapter. Even their higher-end Fotodiox Pro uses the slot method.

bzx
bzx
Like?
In reply to KM Legacy, Jan 2, 2013

KM Legacy wrote:

Fotodiox is simply a higher grade of Chinese adapter. Even their higher-end Fotodiox Pro uses the slot method.

Not sure about that statement - this adaptor uses leaf spring:

http://fotodioxpro.com/index.php/fotodiox-pro-lens-mount-adapter-minolta-md-mc-sr-rokkor-lens-to-sony-alpha-nex-camera-adapter-fit-sony-nex-3-nex-5.html

But $80 is kinda overkill for an adapter..

-- hide signature --

t[+]m

ropausa
Regular MemberPosts: 177
Like?

KM Legacy wrote:

I think you are suffering from Cheap Chinese Adapter Defect Syndrome. I will have to add your symptom to my collection of other defects, including failure to focus to infinity, focusing beyond infinity, leaking light, tripod mount falling off, etc.

You get what you pay for. I checked the Metabones website, and their adapters for Nikon F and Canon EF have springs, not shoddy little "you adjust it with a knife or screwdriver" slots. They don't seem to have an adapter for Minolta MD to NEX. It's had to tell for sure, but the Novoflex adapter seems to have springs also. Fotodiox is simply a higher grade of Chinese adapter. Even their higher-end Fotodiox Pro uses the slot method.

"but the Novoflex adapter seems to have springs also."

No they don't. They have a split flange rather then a spring.

captura
Forum ProPosts: 12,838Gear list
Like?

One of my Chinese adapters was too loose, so i put some making tape onto the mating surface, then marked it black with a Sharpie pen. That worked perfectly.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
KM Legacy
Like?
In reply to ropausa, Jan 2, 2013

I checked the pictures of Novoflex adapters for NEX on the B&H site, and the Nikon F is shown with a slot, but the Pentax K & Contax/Yashica adapters definitely use springs. The Minolta MD and A adapters do not have slots, but it's hard to see whether they have springs.

KM Legacy
Like?
In reply to captura, Jan 2, 2013

I've never seen a lens, including those by independent makers, which does not fit well to the body for which it was designed. Why should we accept poorer quality with adapters? An adapter is just as much a part of the optical alignment of the lens/camera unit as the lens mount itself.

KM Legacy
Like?
In reply to bzx, Jan 2, 2013

You're right for their Minolta MD adapter. However, their Nikon F, Pentax K, and Contax adapters use slots.

I don't think $80 is overkill for an adapter. The adapter becomes a critical part of your lens-camera alignment.

bdbits
Regular MemberPosts: 134
Like?
In reply to bzx, Jan 3, 2013

bzx wrote:

KM Legacy wrote:

Fotodiox is simply a higher grade of Chinese adapter. Even their higher-end Fotodiox Pro uses the slot method.

Not sure about that statement - this adaptor uses leaf spring:

http://fotodioxpro.com/index.php/fotodiox-pro-lens-mount-adapter-minolta-md-mc-sr-rokkor-lens-to-sony-alpha-nex-camera-adapter-fit-sony-nex-3-nex-5.html

But $80 is kinda overkill for an adapter..

-- hide signature --

t[+]m

I bought a Fotodiox MD adapter for my NEX-5N a couple of months ago and though the picture here looks like flanges, I just looked at mine and it has springs. For ~$20US plus shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Y2YE62/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00

ProfHankD
Like?
Really an issue of one adapter on the body vs. one adapter on the lens
In reply to KM Legacy, Jan 3, 2013

KM Legacy wrote:

I've never seen a lens, including those by independent makers, which does not fit well to the body for which it was designed. Why should we accept poorer quality with adapters? An adapter is just as much a part of the optical alignment of the lens/camera unit as the lens mount itself.

Just to clarify, I don't think the slots are inferior. They require tighter manufacturing tolerances than springs and they actually allow adjustment of the clamping force and compensation for wear.

If you want to have one adapter per lens, I think the sub-$10 slotted adapters work great, and the tuning allowed by the slot permits a firmer seating than springs would provide. On the other hand, if you want one adapter per NEX body, springs would be the best compromise because they will at least loosely clamp any lens and repeated mount/unmount will cause less wear. This explains why native body mounts nearly always use springs; however, with adapters under $10, even buying one per lens is really painless.

I strongly suspect that the mounts for which we never see slotted flanges are cursed by major variations in the precise flange dimensions (insufficient specifications). After all, the really critical thing is the seating surface, not the flanges. Incidentally, I'd say any adapter that has flange seat issues or light leaks is seriously defective. Things like allowing focus slightly past infinity are arguably benefits -- some lenses shift their infinity focus significantly depending on ambient temperature, so allowing past infinity may be what it takes to reach infinity at some operating temperatures.

bzx
bzx
Like?
thanks
In reply to bdbits, Jan 3, 2013

thanks for the link, strangely Fotodioxpro.com does not sell that anymore, only the "pro" version of that adapter. Even more strangely same adapter at Amazon.co.uk costs 50 pounds

-- hide signature --

t[+]m

KM Legacy
Like?
Re: Really an issue of one adapter on the body vs. one adapter on the lens
In reply to ProfHankD, Jan 3, 2013

If slots require tighter tolerances, why do so many cheap Chinese adapters with slots require fiddly tweaking with screwdrivers and knives? Do you actually want to claim that these $10-20 pieces of Chinese junk are machined with greater precision than the lens or camera mounts from Japan, which has had a well-earned reputation for precision going back more than half a century? Do you really think that Novoflex and the camera manufacturers use springs because they can't achieve enough precision in their machining tolerances? Have you ever tried a Novoflex adapter? I have, and they fit tightly, yet with no excessive force, because they are a quality product, produced with pride and precision by people paid an living wage. The Chinese crap is churned out and assembled in sweatshops or cottage industries, with virtually no quality control.

I've owned both kinds of adapters, the alpha & the omega. There is really only one reason to buy the Chinese crap: it's the cheapest. It's ridiculous to go on claiming that "an adapter is just a tube, so you might as well buy the cheapest." If it's just a tube, make your own out of the cardboard liner of a roll of toilet paper, or if you're more ambitious, make one out of PVC pipe fittings. Then you will learn that an adapter is not just a tube. It must be of precisely the right length, and the ends must be precisely perpendicular to the optical axis. It should have baffling and flat black finish on the inside to kill reflections. Novoflex and the other quality brands, like Metabones, show those features. The generic Chinese crap doesn't.

As for adapters which focus past infinity. They are not made that way for any reason except that their quality control is so poor that they set the target thickness in favor of focusing past infinity, because that is less deleterious than not even focusing to infinity. Even so, I have a Chinese crap adapter which will not focus to infinity. That is disastrous, unless you never want to focus anywhere near infinity.

It is perfectly possible to make an adapter which focuses exactly to infinity. Lens designers have been achieving that kind of precision for many decades. Let me know when you find a Novoflex adapter which focuses past infinity. Yes, they are expensive, but that's because they are made with precision, and in Germany where labor costs are very high. A brand like Metabones is probably closer to the sweet spot of quality vs. cost. Chinese generic adapters? Pure junk, although you might be lucky enough to get one which is within spec.

ropausa
Regular MemberPosts: 177
Like?
In reply to KM Legacy, Jan 4, 2013

KM Legacy wrote:

I checked the pictures of Novoflex adapters for NEX on the B&H site, and the Nikon F is shown with a slot, but the Pentax K & Contax/Yashica adapters definitely use springs. The Minolta MD and A adapters do not have slots, but it's hard to see whether they have springs.

I looked at the products directly, one good reason to go to trade shows and camera stores, and none of the Novoflex have springs to keep the lens tight. All had split flanges.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads