Simple RAW processing - OK?

Started Dec 31, 2012 | Discussions
Rens
Senior MemberPosts: 1,449Gear list
Like?
Simple RAW processing - OK?
Dec 31, 2012

I have access to PhotoShop CS5.1, which doesn't recognise RAW files from my OMD E-M5.

I've been opening them in Olympus Viewer 2, checking white balance, saving them as TIFF files, and then opening in PS.

It's my understanding I'm not losing data this way so PS has full information to work with, is this correct?

And bearing in mind I'm not drastically altering images in PS, is this a reasonable way to go about processing Olumpus ORF files from the OMD?

Any advice welcome.

-- hide signature --

Season's greetings to all,       Rens
There are optimists and there are realists

Rens's gear list:Rens's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +1 more
Big Ga
Forum ProPosts: 16,593
Like?
Re: Simple RAW processing - OK?
In reply to Rens, Dec 31, 2012

Rens wrote:

I have access to PhotoShop CS5.1, which doesn't recognise RAW files from my OMD E-M5.

I've been opening them in Olympus Viewer 2, checking white balance, saving them as TIFF files, and then opening in PS.

It's my understanding I'm not losing data this way so PS has full information to work with, is this correct?

And bearing in mind I'm not drastically altering images in PS, is this a reasonable way to go about processing Olumpus ORF files from the OMD?

Any advice welcome.

Why not just convert the EM5 files to DNG and work on them directly?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jcharity
Regular MemberPosts: 489Gear list
Like?

CS5.1 and ACR 6.7 does recognize .ORF files.

jcharity's gear list:jcharity's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Rens
Like?
In reply to Big Ga, Dec 31, 2012

Big Ga wrote:

OK, how do I do this?

-- hide signature --

Rens

Rens
Like?
In reply to jcharity, Dec 31, 2012

jcharity wrote:

I get a box telling me 'could not complete your request because the file appears to be from a camera model which is not supported by the installed version of Camera Raw'.

It recognised ORF files from my E3 a while ago, but not those from the OMD.

-- hide signature --

Rens

Detail Man
Forum ProPosts: 15,077
Like?
Re: Simple RAW processing - OK ?

Rens wrote:

Big Ga wrote:

OK, how do I do this?

Download and extract the latest Adobe DNG Converter 7.3 here:

For Windows: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5519

For Mac: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5518

Notes: The DNG Converter is a stand-alone executable file. It will convert all of the RAW image files that exist within the folder that you select for conversion - so make a unique folder in which to place the RAW image-files that you want to convert to DNG format.

Big Ga
Forum ProPosts: 16,593
Like?

Rens wrote:

Big Ga wrote:

OK, how do I do this?

google adobe DNG converter.

Download the latest (free) one.

Just run it - it will be fairly self explanatory. Point to a directory of your ORF files, it will then produce DNG versions (with the same filename). These will then directly be able to be opened using CS5/Bridge/ACR etc

jcharity
Like?

Rens wrote:

jcharity wrote:

I get a box telling me 'could not complete your request because the file appears to be from a camera model which is not supported by the installed version of Camera Raw'.

-- hide signature --

Rens

Make sure you have the Adobe Camera Raw 6.7 update. It works fine for my .ORF files.

OM-D

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,919Gear list
Like?

jcharity wrote:

Rens wrote:

jcharity wrote:

-- hide signature --

Rens

Make sure you have the Adobe Camera Raw 6.7 update. It works fine for my .ORF files.

OM-D

CS5 won't work with the newest cameras. The work around is to convert those files into dng files with the last version of the free Adobe dng converter (look iin to Detail man's post for the link.

After that, CS5 will be able to open them with the 6.7 version of Adobe Raw Converter. You won't get the ast improvements which Adobe has made to the converter however. The seventh version handles highlights better IMO and is worth it. However I didn't update CS5 (too much money for wthat you get), but I updated from LR3.6 to LR4 : well worth the upgrade price in this case. I lost 100% compatibility with PS, but not such a big deal : I can just export a 16 bits tif to CS5 when needed.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
G Sciorio
Regular MemberPosts: 294Gear list
Like?

Just shoot JPEG superfine. You're not gaining anything other then more work by shooting RAW and using the Olympus software then bringing it into PS.

If you tweak your JPEG settings in the EM5 (or EPL5) you'll get more dynamic range from JPEGs then you would from RAW (baseline settings) in any Adobe program.

-- hide signature --

Giulio Sciorio
Small Camera Big Picture
http://www.smallcamerabigpicture.com
Portfolio
http://www.giuliosciorio.com

tom60634
Senior MemberPosts: 1,941Gear list
Like?

Rens wrote:

Any advice welcome.

-- hide signature --

Season's greetings to all, Rens

I shoot raw with the OMD E-M5.

I keep a version of PhotoShop CS5 on my computer.

I just opened various raw ORF files taken with my OMD E-M5 with no problems whatsever.

tom60634's gear list:tom60634's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
jcharity
Like?
In reply to tom60634, Dec 31, 2012

tom60634 wrote:

Rens wrote:

Any advice welcome.

-- hide signature --

I just opened various raw ORF files taken with my OMD E-M5 with no problems whatsever.

I agree with you. I have both CS5 and CS6. Both work just fine on my .ORF files. I have an OM-D. I really don't know why a few are having problems?

Detail Man
Like?

jcharity wrote:

tom60634 wrote:

Rens wrote:

Any advice welcome.

-- hide signature --

I agree with you. I have both CS5 and CS6. Both work just fine on my .ORF files. I have an OM-D. I really don't know why a few are having problems?

Evidently, the OP does not have the final release of ACR 6.7 (which does support E-M5 ORF RAWs, and runs on PS 5.x). It is the only version of ACR for which that is the case. Download it here:

Windows: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5371

Mac: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5370

Problem solved, then. No Adobe DNG Converter required ...

Rens
Like?
In reply to Detail Man, Dec 31, 2012

Detail Man wrote:

Evidently, the OP does not have the final release of ACR 6.7 (which does support E-M5 ORF RAWs, and runs on PS 5.x). It is the only version of ACR for which that is the case. Download it here:

This sounds a much neater soloution than a dedicated to put files into before converting.  I'll check it out.

In the meantime, apart from any inconvenience, am I losing IQ by opening in Olympus viewer 2 and saving as TIFFs?

-- hide signature --

Rens

FrankyM
Senior MemberPosts: 2,164Gear list
Like?
In reply to rrr_hhh, Dec 31, 2012

ACR 6.7 will open OMD ORF files directly and works with CS5. No need to convert to DNG.

FrankyM's gear list:FrankyM's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Lights
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,395Gear list
Like?

Rens wrote:

Detail Man wrote:

This sounds a much neater soloution than a dedicated to put files into before converting. I'll check it out.

In the meantime, apart from any inconvenience, am I losing IQ by opening in Olympus viewer 2 and saving as TIFFs?

-- hide signature --

Rens

I don't 'think' so..and you probably are getting fairly accurate color, since some raw converters have quite a variance in that regard...or at least 'had' the last time I tested a few basic ones. But it's a lot easier to open them in PS with the latest ACR if you can, which it looks like you can.

-- hide signature --

My Gallery is here -
http://www.pbase.com/madlights
Why so serious? :The Joker

Rens
Like?
In reply to Lights, Jan 1, 2013

Thanks to everyone who has offered advice.

-- hide signature --

Rens

String
Senior MemberPosts: 1,378Gear list
Like?
Why not..
In reply to Rens, Jan 1, 2013

Just pick up Light Room? You can get it on sale (or education discount) for under $100 and it does so much; catalog, print, slideshow, edit, convert, support plugins, etc. A much easier to use application than PS and you can easily move photo's back and forth between LR and CS if you need to do major editing.

Just saying

String's gear list:String's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Detail Man
Like?
In reply to Rens, Jan 1, 2013

Rens wrote:

Detail Man wrote:

This sounds a much neater soloution than a dedicated to put files into before converting. I'll check it out.

Download, install, and you are done ! The plug-in is free of charge.

I don't use Olympus Viewer 2. The answer depends upon the quality of de-mosaicing, any smoothing/sharpening that may occure (pre or post de-mosaicing), and what the application may do to the image in terms of RGB tone-curve transfer-functions prior to exporting as a (16-bit, I presume) TIF image-file.

The answer also depends on how well PS 5.x does with (16-bit, I presume) TIFs relative to how it would do with ACR 6.7 installed processing the RAWs.

Another thing to be aware of is that the efficacy and quality of LR-3.x/ACR-6.x NR (particularly the Color NR) is notably better when processing RAWs than it is when processing 16-bit TIFs (because at least parts of the NR processing appear to occur on a RAW, pre-demosaicing level).

Rens
Like?
In reply to Detail Man, Jan 1, 2013

Detail Man wrote:

Another thing to be aware of is that the efficacy and quality of LR-3.x/ACR-6.x NR (particularly the Color NR) is notably better when processing RAWs than it is when processing 16-bit TIFs (because at least parts of the NR processing appear to occur on a RAW, pre-demosaicing level).

This answers my question, thanks.

-- hide signature --

Rens

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads