Canon G16 and RAW

Started Dec 29, 2012 | Discussions
njga83
Forum MemberPosts: 53
Like?
Canon G16 and RAW
Dec 29, 2012

It's my understanding that the Canon G15 does multiaspect-RAW, but when I look at the folder all I see is jpg. Am I misunderstanding what multaspect RAW is?

Thanks

Canon PowerShot G15
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,685Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon G16 and RAW
In reply to njga83, Dec 29, 2012

njga83 wrote:

It's my understanding that the Canon G15 does multiaspect-RAW, but when I look at the folder all I see is jpg. Am I misunderstanding what multaspect RAW is?

Thanks

The aspect ratio on the G15 is a seperate setting from RAW and jpb. On the func menu you can select 16:9, 3:2, 4:3, 1:1 and 4:5. The next line down lets you select RAW or jpg or RAW+jpg. The next line down lets you select Superfine, or fine, L, M1, M2, or S size. So you need to select which combination appeals to you. Make sense?

I have not tried any of the other aspect ratios in camera.  I shoot the full 4:3 and then crop as desired in post processing.  But I am shooting L size and superfine setting.  I'm quite pleased with the results.  Seems like a pretty versatile camera.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
njga83
Forum MemberPosts: 53
Like?
Re: Canon G16 and RAW
In reply to Dale Buhanan, Dec 29, 2012

Thanks.

MisterPootieCat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,060Gear list
Like?
Canon G15, RAW, and Multi-Aspect Ratio
In reply to Dale Buhanan, Dec 29, 2012

Dale Buhanan wrote:

I have not tried any of the other aspect ratios in camera. I shoot the full 4:3 and then crop as desired in post processing. But I am shooting L size and superfine setting. I'm quite pleased with the results. Seems like a pretty versatile camera.
-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Shooting full resolution using JPEG would be a good idea but the multi-aspect settings behave differently when shooting in RAW mode. The camera still captures the 4:3 ratio image and simply adds a crop window visible in DPP. So you get the on-the-fly cropping without the downside of reduced resolution, and any aspect ratio selected in the camera can be backed out in DPP afterwards. This G15 is an interesting little animal.

MisterPootieCat's gear list:MisterPootieCat's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G10 Minolta DiMAGE Z1 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2 +19 more
Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,685Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon G15, RAW, and Multi-Aspect Ratio
In reply to MisterPootieCat, Dec 29, 2012

MisterPootieCat wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

I have not tried any of the other aspect ratios in camera. I shoot the full 4:3 and then crop as desired in post processing. But I am shooting L size and superfine setting. I'm quite pleased with the results. Seems like a pretty versatile camera.
-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Shooting full resolution using JPEG would be a good idea but the multi-aspect settings behave differently when shooting in RAW mode. The camera still captures the 4:3 ratio image and simply adds a crop window visible in DPP. So you get the on-the-fly cropping without the downside of reduced resolution, and any aspect ratio selected in the camera can be backed out in DPP afterwards. This G15 is an interesting little animal.

Thanks for the further info, Pootie.  That's really about the only way you could do it.  The RAW file is not yet an image,  It hasn't been through the demosaic process yet, and is simply an array of voltages dumped from the sensor photo-diodes.  Until it goes through a conversion process there is no image to crop, so about all you can do is say  "cut here".  :))  I'll have to give it a try and see the window in DPP.  That would be fun.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
jrscls
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,871
Like?
In reply to MisterPootieCat, Dec 30, 2012

Does the same when processing RAW images in Lightroom, with the image already cropped at the selected aspect ratio. I kind of like it as I can change the crop later if necessary.

MisterPootieCat
Like?
In reply to jrscls, Dec 30, 2012

jrscls wrote:

Does the same when processing RAW images in Lightroom, with the image already cropped at the selected aspect ratio. I kind of like it as I can change the crop later if necessary.

Good to know, I was thinking it might just be a DPP thing.

Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G10 Minolta DiMAGE Z1 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2 +19 more
David Hurt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,338Gear list
Like?
In reply to MisterPootieCat, Dec 30, 2012

Will the G15 shoot RAW+ Jpeg??

MisterPootieCat
Like?
In reply to David Hurt, Dec 30, 2012

David Hurt wrote:

Will the G15 shoot RAW+ Jpeg??

Yes, it will.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads