Integrate a UV filter into your DA 21mm 3.2 LTD

Started Dec 29, 2012 | Discussions
DAVID MANZE
Senior MemberPosts: 1,752Gear list
Like?
Integrate a UV filter into your DA 21mm 3.2 LTD
Dec 29, 2012

Prototype until I find a coated UV filter

Super happy with my replaced DA21mm 3.2 Ltd lens from Pentax (they tried to repair it and their lens testing jig refused to work so they kindly sent me an almost new copy FOC and it's spot on) It's a lovely lens, but one of it's shortfalls is that you cannot use a UV filter and a lens-hood at the same time.  So I decided to try to fit a filter in the lens-hood itself, I found an old 46mm skylight filter and measured the glass diameter,42.7mm, but the lens-hood needed a 42mm glass to fit neatly inside,out came the flat diamond file and lubricated with water I took off the offending 0.7mm and it slipped into the lens-hood nicely,four spots of superglue and it was good to go.

It's only a temporary job until I can find a decent coated UV filter, preferably a (45mm filter to save the hassle of diamond files and the risk of scratched coatings. I put a few drops of water on the filter so it's visible.

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +14 more
citrontokyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 779Gear list
Like?
Re: Integrate a UV filter into your DA 21mm 3.2 LTD
In reply to DAVID MANZE, Dec 29, 2012

I find the 21, much like the DA 40mm with hood attached, is perfectly safe from bumps and scrapes, so I don't use anything with it. Just my opinion, but I don't want anything else, except maybe a polarizer or ND filter in front of that lens.

Still, that's a pretty neat trick you did.

citrontokyo's gear list:citrontokyo's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
phil_t
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
Not to ruin anyone's fun...
In reply to DAVID MANZE, Dec 30, 2012

But I have found that the B+W 43mm UV Haze SC 010 Filter (F-Pro Series), Mfr# 65-070074, fits the internal threads on the inside of the lens shade, while being thin enough to allow the shade's bayonet mount to engage.

No fitting or gluing required.

DAVID MANZE
Like?
Re: Not to ruin anyone's fun...
In reply to phil_t, Dec 30, 2012

Hi Phil t,

OK, yes indeed there is an internal thread inside the lens-hood and the lens-hood is marked MH-RBA 43mm, so your call is a good one,does it not however, cause a bit of vignetting?there is not a lot of room for the frame.

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +14 more
phil_t
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
In reply to DAVID MANZE, Dec 31, 2012

No, the filter ring is entirely outside of the rectangular shade opening, as well as being between the front element and the shade.

Tyler Monson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,450
Like?
Another Approach
In reply to DAVID MANZE, Dec 31, 2012

My DA21 lens has been my daily companion since 2007—first on a K10, then K20, now K-5. Either around-my-neck, over-my-shoulder, or loose in the bag, I don't use any filter, but either the stock lens shade or, in foul weather, a 49-to-58mm step-up ring with an old Pentax 'normal' lens shade.

That shade (with step-up ring) is one-inch deep and I have no problem with vignetting.

Among the joys of the DA21 lens is the small diameter of the front element and its rather deep mounting. Both obviate the need for any protective (UV) filter, in my book (and, in the way-back, all of my Hasselblad lenses had OEM UV filters mounted).

Cheers,

Tyler

More Original Refrigerator Art

DAVID MANZE
Like?
Re: Just shows how many ways there are to skin a cat.
In reply to Tyler Monson, Jan 1, 2013

Hi,

Well ,we all have our own ideas and here it shows that we all achieve the same result differently!

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

volosong
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,311
Like?
In reply to DAVID MANZE, Jan 2, 2013

I've been using a Hoya Digital 43mm UV filter mounted on the internal threads since I first purchased my copy.  No vignetting, no adverse effects.

-- hide signature --

Steven
GMT -8

KentG
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,677
Like?
In reply to DAVID MANZE, Jan 3, 2013

I assume you do know that a DSLR sensor does not need a UV filter like a film camera does? And you are using it as "protection" instead, I guess.

Kent Gittings

DAVID MANZE
Like?
In reply to KentG, Jan 3, 2013

KentG wrote:

I assume you do know that a DSLR sensor does not need a UV filter like a film camera does? And you are using it as "protection" instead, I guess.

Kent Gittings

Correct!  It's for protection when I've the camera on my back while cycling!

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads