Need to format brand new USB hard drive, or not?

Started Dec 29, 2012 | Discussions
andrzej bialuski
Senior MemberPosts: 2,589
Like?
Need to format brand new USB hard drive, or not?
Dec 29, 2012

Up until I never have formatted any new external USB HD before starting to use it.  Just plugged it into my Imac and started using it with factory formatting.

My question is: should I format it first or just go ahead and start using it with the default factory formatting?

The new drive is a Seagate USB3, 3 TB.

thanks in advance

-- hide signature --
BobVell
Regular MemberPosts: 129Gear list
Like?
Re: Need to format brand new USB hard drive, or not?
In reply to andrzej bialuski, Dec 29, 2012

andrzej bialuski wrote:

Up until I never have formatted any new external USB HD before starting to use it. Just plugged it into my Imac and started using it with factory formatting.

My question is: should I format it first or just go ahead and start using it with the default factory formatting?

thanks in advance

-- hide signature --

I always format new external drives.  It may not be necessary, but it takes almost no effort.

Depending on the manufacturer, there may be partitions that rob you of some space, there may be a bunch of software/crapware that you don't need, they may have messed up (I recall on the Windows side of things some drives shipping with malware). So, for 1 minutes, I get the drive how I want with only what I want on it.

BobVell's gear list:BobVell's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
andrzej bialuski
Like?
In reply to BobVell, Dec 29, 2012

Thanks for the reply, Bob.

When formatting for Mac OS (as I've done it only once before), what settings do you recommend??

BobVell wrote:

andrzej bialuski wrote:

Up until I never have formatted any new external USB HD before starting to use it. Just plugged it into my Imac and started using it with factory formatting.

thanks in advance

-- hide signature --

I always format new external drives. It may not be necessary, but it takes almost no effort.

Depending on the manufacturer, there may be partitions that rob you of some space, there may be a bunch of software/crapware that you don't need, they may have messed up (I recall on the Windows side of things some drives shipping with malware). So, for 1 minutes, I get the drive how I want with only what I want on it.

-- hide signature --
Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,936
Like?
In reply to BobVell, Dec 29, 2012

It depends.

98% of those USB drives that you'll buy are formatted for PC's.  If they are formatted in FAT or exFAT, then the Mac can read/write to them but they aren't in a Mac native format.  If you're going to use this drive exclusively on a Mac, then go into Disk Utility and reformat it and that can also get rid of any preloaded autorun crapware the mfgr installed

andrzej bialuski
Like?
In reply to Howard Moftich, Dec 29, 2012

I ACTUALLY INTEND TO USE IT ONLY ON A MAC.  I have two options though:  Journaled or Journaled Encrypted.

Which one do I choose?

Thanks

-- hide signature --
BobVell
Regular MemberPosts: 129Gear list
Like?

andrzej bialuski wrote:

I ACTUALLY INTEND TO USE IT ONLY ON A MAC. I have two options though: Journaled or Journaled Encrypted.

Which one do I choose?

Thanks

-- hide signature --

I happen to use encrypted now because the hardware is sufficiently fast that you don't notice the on-the-fly encrypting and decrypting. It isn't that I have anything particularly sensitive on the drives; on the other hand, if someone broke into my house and stole my drives, I'd rather that they didn't have access to everything.

So, encryption is up to you. If you do encrypt, make sure you absolutely, positively do not forget the password!

BobVell's gear list:BobVell's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +1 more
graybalanced
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,963
Like?

andrzej bialuski wrote:

I ACTUALLY INTEND TO USE IT ONLY ON A MAC. I have two options though: Journaled or Journaled Encrypted.

Which one do I choose?

I use Journaled Encrypted because the password encryption means if someone steals them, the personal data on them is not at risk of being exposed.

However, I use Journaled for any drives that must also be used with my Macs that are not upgraded to Mountain Lion yet, because full disk encryption is so new that a Mac running an OS X older than Mountain Lion has no way of reading that drive.

noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 11,058
Like?
Full Disk Encryption was introduced with Lion (not Mountain Lion)
In reply to graybalanced, Dec 29, 2012

graybalanced wrote:

However, I use Journaled for any drives that must also be used with my Macs that are not upgraded to Mountain Lion yet, because full disk encryption is so new that a Mac running an OS X older than Mountain Lion has no way of reading that drive.

And as far as I know, the full disk encryption is compatible between the two OSes.

Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,936
Like?
Re: Full Disk Encryption was introduced with Lion (not Mountain Lion)
In reply to noirdesir, Dec 30, 2012

I personally dont care for encrypted disks from a recovery or backup perspective and how much data really needs to be encrypted.

I've used 'Knox' by the same people who make 1passwd and it works well to make an encrypted image/folder

Mouser
Senior MemberPosts: 1,877Gear list
Like?
Re: Full Disk Encryption was introduced with Lion (not Mountain Lion)
In reply to Howard Moftich, Dec 30, 2012

Howard Moftich wrote:

I personally dont care for encrypted disks from a recovery or backup perspective and how much data really needs to be encrypted.

I've used 'Knox' by the same people who make 1passwd and it works well to make an encrypted image/folder

Just curious... why would you use that when Mountain Lion offers FileVault full disk encryption as part of the OS?

Knuckles 79
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?
In reply to andrzej bialuski, Dec 30, 2012

andrzej bialuski wrote:

thanks in advance

-- hide signature --

I always format new hard drives, but that is just me.  Many years ago, viruses were being loaded into new external hard drives, and formatting them eliminates the possibility of infecting your computer.

That of course a few years ago, and I am sure that is very rare now, but better to be safe than sorry.

-- hide signature --

"Knuckles"

probert500
Senior MemberPosts: 1,009Gear list
Like?
In reply to andrzej bialuski, Jan 1, 2013

If you're using it as a boot drive be sure to select guid partition scheme.

Also if you leave it in fat32 you will be limited in the file sizes you can load.  If you're doing video this could be an issue.

probert500's gear list:probert500's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads