Started Dec 28, 2012 | Discussions
bzx
bzx
Regular MemberPosts: 213Gear list
Like?
how much for planar 1.7?
In reply to Michael Everett, Dec 30, 2012

Michael Everett wrote:

Let me suggest one 50 that has not been mentioned: the Zeiss Planar 1.7 (C/Y mount.) Many consider it one of the sharpest lenses made, and it is not expensive.

How much did you pay for yours? Just want to have an estimate..

Thanks

-- hide signature --

t[+]m

bzx's gear list:bzx's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Michael Everett
Senior MemberPosts: 1,774
Like?
Re: how much for planar 1.7?
In reply to bzx, Dec 30, 2012

I don't remember exactly but I believe it was around $150.  That was a couple of years ago so that may have changed, but it is one of the least expensive Zeiss's and IMO worth every penny of it.

Michael

Rossi46
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
Re: More Legacy Lens Talk!
In reply to Marla2008, Dec 30, 2012

Clearly many of your are great fans of legacy lenses on the Sony NEX modelles. But since the NEX systeem does not offer in-body image stabilization, all these lenzes will be "unstabilized".
And as the TS already mentioned, many legacy lenzes have a large focal length.

Is this combination not a problem with hand shooting?

Letsgokoulos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,457
Like?
In reply to Rossi46, Dec 30, 2012

Rossi46 wrote:

Clearly many of your are great fans of legacy lenses on the Sony NEX modelles. But since the NEX systeem does not offer in-body image stabilization, all these lenzes will be "unstabilized".

No, it is not. And that also is the way people used to take pictures before stabilisation was implemented...

Marc

nrcole
Regular MemberPosts: 411
Like?
In reply to lenshoarder, Dec 30, 2012

It adds a bit to the price, but I will probably just buy a separate adapter for each lens. I'm getting a 100 or 135 next.

bzx
bzx
Regular MemberPosts: 213Gear list
Like?
In reply to Michael Everett, Dec 30, 2012

thanks, buy now options are around $280 at the moment

i do have a 50mm f2 minolta md lens, which is just fine and quite sharp, but was curious about the zeiss, as it's probably much sharper.

-- hide signature --

t[+]m

bzx's gear list:bzx's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +2 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,136Gear list
Like?
In reply to Michael Everett, Dec 31, 2012

Michael Everett wrote:

Let me suggest one 50 that has not been mentioned: the Zeiss Planar 1.7 (C/Y mount.) Many consider it one of the sharpest lenses made, and it is not expensive. The reason is many people prefer the Planar 50 f1.4, which has become expensive. The 1.7 is as good or even better than the 1.4.

For a standard walk-around lens I have not found anything better than the Canon Fdn 35 f2. The older FD's with the thorium element are also excellent, but man they are heavy. I personally like the 35mm focal length, 52.5 FF equivalent. I also prefer MF to AF on the Nex 7.

The kit lens, however, is good for something wider, as it's wide end is better than it's narrow end.

Michael

I might have a particularly good example of an 18-55 kit. And even better now with my 5R. But I did some comparisons to my f1.4 50mm MC PG and the Minolta was still very much better. Heavy, though. And I really like the tiny 45mm f2 MD which works well on crop sensors but was no good in the day because it was too small. It's a pancake, weighing only 120 gms.

Some of the 50 f3.5 macros are exceptional and I have the Canon FD version which is really excellent, as good as the 1.4's from wide open. Got other FD's and MC/MD's, too.

Steve

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
captura
Like?
In reply to Letsgokoulos, Dec 31, 2012

Letsgokoulos wrote:

Rossi46 wrote:

No, it is not. And that also is the way people used to take pictures before stabilisation was implemented...

Marc

That's right, it's never been a problem for me. Just remember to keep the shutter speed up there.

Now the NEX cameras have focus-peaking which makes up for that big-time. Makes it fast and easy to focus a manual lens; sometimes faster than auto-focus.

Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Lightshow
Senior MemberPosts: 2,577Gear list
Like?
In reply to bzx, Dec 31, 2012

bzx wrote:

Michael Everett wrote:

Let me suggest one 50 that has not been mentioned: the Zeiss Planar 1.7 (C/Y mount.) Many consider it one of the sharpest lenses made, and it is not expensive.

How much did you pay for yours? Just want to have an estimate..

Thanks

-- hide signature --

t[+]m

To be honest, my Contax 50/1.7 never wowed me, I found it to be average at best, I however was(& still) impressed with the sharpness on my Topcor RE 58/1.8, a very nice piece of glass.

SQLGuy wrote:

The down side of most Canon FD lenses, is that they're a bit tricky to mount on adapters (adapter needs to be set to Open when mounting and Lock when in use). If you forget to Lock it, the aperture will stay wide open regardless of how it's set.

wite the breach lock versions, you cab push the aperture leaver up till it locks, the aperture ring will now make the aperture work at all times, so you can leave the lock/close ring on the adapter in the open position.

To ad to my earlier post:

So I'll post a few I've shot and liked...

Wides:

OM 21/3.5, 24/2.8, FD SSC 24/2.8, Rokkor MC 28/2.5, S-M-C 28/3.5(M42), Nikkor O.C 35/2,Leica Elmarit 28/2.8 (2nd version)(ASPH is best), Pen F 38/1.8

I forgot to add the FD SSC 35/2.8 Tilt Shift, it's wicked sharp, like a macro, only it's kinda big.

Normals:

FD SSC/FDn 50/1.4, Nikkor N.C 50/1.4, Topcor RE 58/1.8, Rokkor 58/1.2, 50/1.4, S-M-C55/1.8, 50/1.4, OM 501.8(MIJ), 50/1.4

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
captura
Like?
Re: even more Rokkor files
In reply to Lightshow, Dec 31, 2012
Ari Aikomus
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,011
Like?
Some good links - lens reviews etc.!!
In reply to lukeols, Jan 1, 2013

DYXUM lens reviews

http://www.penta**forums.com/lensreviews/

(NOTE: Remove **!!)

http://www.photozone.de/

Photodo

Some more Pentax stuff:

http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/lenses/index.html

http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/www.html

(check "Lens resources")

Ari
Personally  I use a lot of diffrent kind of "legacy" lenses with NEX, I have NEX adapter to Pentax K, M42, Nikon and for Sony/Minolta mount. Most of them works very well, and I love NEX's focus peaking to manual focusing!
-- hide signature --

http://koti.mbnet.fi/tidis/AAikomus.jpg
- Ari Aikomus -
'Why should I feel lonely ? is not our planet in the Milky way?'

nosnoop
Senior MemberPosts: 1,691
Like?
In reply to Rossi46, Jan 1, 2013

Rossi46 wrote:

Not really, just use a higher shutter speed +/- higher ISO if necessary.

The biggest problem is hand held video - which is basically unwatchable without stabilization.

nrcole
Regular MemberPosts: 411
Like?
In reply to SQLGuy, Jan 2, 2013

SQLGuy wrote:

The down side of most Canon FD lenses, is that they're a bit tricky to mount on adapters (adapter needs to be set to Open when mounting and Lock when in use). If you forget to Lock it, the aperture will stay wide open regardless of how it's set.

Because they're so cheap ($10-20 on eBay), I'd follow the advice of a poster on here from awhile ago and just buy an adapter for each lens you plan on using. I only have a 50 1.4 presently but am contemplating my next and will probably get a second adapter for it. They are fiddly PITAs, you're right about that.

BobK77
Regular MemberPosts: 418Gear list
Like?
In reply to wictred, Jan 2, 2013

wictred wrote:

oh yes, and if you should go for a minolta 50mm lens then I strongly suggest to also give the MD Rokkor 135mm f3.5 a try. They cost like 20$ and are really superb imho

What adapter would you recommend?

BobK77's gear list:BobK77's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D5200 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM | C
Michael Everett
Senior MemberPosts: 1,774
Like?
Canon FD zooms
In reply to BobK77, Jan 12, 2013

How good are the Canon FD zooms?  Are some better than others, and how do they compare with the kit zoom?

Michael

cxsparc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,445
Like?
Re: Canon FD zooms
In reply to Michael Everett, Jan 13, 2013

FD Zooms: The 80-200/4 is slightly better than the 70-210/4. The vaiable aperture 70-210 are trash. You can see some examples in my blog on Turkey.

To the OP: Using the search feature for Canon FD would yield lots of info to you.

Personally, I have the FD 50/1.4 and it is a great lens. But the SEL50/1.8 has AF and more important, OSS, so that incredibly many pictures are still very sharp. Haven't used the FD 1.4 fo a long time.

Now that the 35/1.8 with OSS is available I would reommend to try it since the wider focal length is more versatile indoors.

The FD 35/2.8 is dirt cheap and one of the sharpest lenses of the FD program wide open.

And if you are unsure about the focal length, it allows you experimenting without investing a lot of money.

Currently I use these lenses in order of frequncy: SEL50, FD 35/2.8, kit lens, FD 80-200/4.

On my blog there is a comparison test showing the performance of these and other lenses (just to lazy to search for the link).

-- hide signature --
naftade
Regular MemberPosts: 274Gear list
Like?
Re: More Legacy Lens Talk! How about the ULTRON 28mm f2?
In reply to lukeols, Jan 13, 2013

Hi,

I know my suggestion may sound a little bit pricey. But If you like fast wide angle primes, you might have a look at      this       .

The Voigtländer Ultron mounted on a NEX camera is a joy use. I had one for a few days and decided to change it for a Nokton which served me better as a portrait lens (which was, what I was looking for). But I liked the Ultron a lot. It is extremely well made. The focussing ring moves super smoothly and the aperture ring gives you a real old school feeling (very nice every once in a while).

The image quality of the Ultron is also very good. And more than that. Not only do you get crisp pictures but also a very special look. And when you don't like it anymore, just sell it. Due to the excellent built quality  prices remain a lot more stable than with more modern plastic pieces.

naftade's gear list:naftade's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
JohnK
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,489Gear list
Like?
In reply to lukeols, Jan 13, 2013

lukeols wrote:

What i am looking for is an inexpensive way to branch out, get a few new lenses and really figure out what focal lengths i tend to use the most, before i spend some big money on nice glass.

Hi lukeols, just my opinion or viewpoint: I think that the choice of a lens is based on what the subject of the photo is to be and how close the photographer is able to, or wants to, get to the subject, rather than based on what focal lengths one has used in the past.

-- hide signature --

JohnK
Take a picture, it'll last longer.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads