Boxing Day stroll in old town (F31)

Started Dec 27, 2012 | Discussions
Sunshine_boy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,544Gear list
Like?
Boxing Day stroll in old town (F31)
Dec 27, 2012

I hadn't taken the F31 for a walk for a long time (since I bought the P7100) but on Boxing Day I thought I'd give it some exercise. The venue was the main shopping street in the old town of Nicosia, where all was happening years ago but now it is 'pedestrians only' and a favorite place for afternoon-evening walks, with a plethora of street vendors and entertainers adding to the atmosphere.

Due to the crowds moving, pushing and getting in the way, one  has to be quick on the shutter and very approximate in framing/composition. Still, I think the shots convey the spirit of the day...

All F31 at iso auto400 & 800, no flash

This little shop has gone though all kinds of catering business over the years, from juices to milkshakes, to sandwiches, kebabs, beers, traditional cakes etc. Now it serves French type of cakes and sports the posh name of 'La Croisanterie'!.

The main old shopping street (Ledra street) commonly known as the 'Long' Street as it rolls for more than 200 meters! Distances are small in Cyprus...

A very young musician earning an honest living. I wish there were more kids like him.

The return of the Pharaohs!... Cleopatra will be next...

Stand selling corn on the cob and hot chestnuts. Plus some garments for good measure. Diversification is the name of the game these days...

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
Visit my website for lots of pics and fun...
www.sunshine-web.com
ps If you see someone without a smile on, give him one of yours...

Sunshine_boy's gear list:Sunshine_boy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd Olympus C-4000 Zoom Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D60
Nikon Coolpix P7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
danny_only
Forum ProPosts: 11,115Gear list
Like?
Re: Boxing Day stroll in old town (F31)
In reply to Sunshine_boy, Dec 28, 2012

Long Life F31 (and F30, hey I am a F30 owner).

Well done Sunshine, love these pictures.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
Danny
'Close enough is good enough, I just come here for fun:p
Fujifilm Alternate Low Light Solution'
http://g4.img-dpreview.com/994AB6F626554A6BB0A3BD05309E0000.jpg
Other Pics
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/yeeonly/

danny_only's gear list:danny_only's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Olympus C-4000 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sunshine_boy
Like?
In reply to danny_only, Dec 28, 2012

Hey Danny!...

Haven't seen you around for a long time. Hope all is well.

I can see the limitations of the F31 compared to today's models but it still performs reasonably well. I like the fact that I can have it resting in my closed palm while walking, it starts up fairly quickly and its battery lasts for ages.

Btw, I sent you a PM some time ago, you probably did not read it.

Happy New Year to you and yours

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
www.sunshine-web.com

Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd Olympus C-4000 Zoom Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D60
HZP
HZP
Contributing MemberPosts: 755
Like?
In reply to Sunshine_boy, Dec 28, 2012

It's like standing there myself. Love the colours. Old cam "only 6mp"? Maybe, but it still delivers what's most important. Sharpness and colours.

danny_only
Forum ProPosts: 11,115Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sunshine_boy, Dec 31, 2012

Sunshine_boy wrote:

Hey Danny!...

Haven't seen you around for a long time. Hope all is well.

I can see the limitations of the F31 compared to today's models but it still performs reasonably well. I like the fact that I can have it resting in my closed palm while walking, it starts up fairly quickly and its battery lasts for ages.

I try to remember its virtures like endless (almost) battery life, lens sharpness, quick starts up, built and star lens flare.

I need to divert some of my 2013 camera budget to my "Senior Citizen Education Scheme" fund, in others words, I may not able to buy any new toy in 2013. A poor man's solution is to replace the brown leatherette with latest XF-1 alike red leatherette.

Btw, I sent you a PM some time ago, you probably did not read it.

Busy, busy and busy, I am really sorry that I couldn't respond to your PM, because back then my mother-in-law was =very sick and she still is, we all had been worried a lot and coupled with busy work loads at home and at school. year 2012 is a very busy year.

Anyway, I am glad that you have spent so much effort to capture beautiful images. Keep up with your good work.

Take care, I need to return to my hibernation

Happy New Year to you and yours

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
www.sunshine-web.com

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
Danny
'Close enough is good enough, I just come here for fun:p
Fujifilm Alternate Low Light Solution'
http://g4.img-dpreview.com/994AB6F626554A6BB0A3BD05309E0000.jpg
Other Pics
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/yeeonly/

danny_only's gear list:danny_only's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Olympus C-4000 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 +13 more
Sunshine_boy
Like?
In reply to danny_only, Dec 31, 2012

Sorry to hear about the problems with your mother in law Danny. I hope she makes a quick recovery. My best wishes to you and all family for the New Year.

Drop in every now and then..  

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
www.sunshine-web.com

Sunshine_boy
Like?
In reply to HZP, Dec 31, 2012

HZP wrote:

It's like standing there myself. Love the colours. Old cam "only 6mp"? Maybe, but it still delivers what's most important. Sharpness and colours.

Thank sfor your comments HZP.

Indeed, the F31 was a landmark in Fuji's history. Many happy owners are very sorry the line was not continued and improved further as it could...

Best wishes for the |New Year 

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
www.sunshine-web.com

max metz
Senior MemberPosts: 2,644
Like?
In reply to Sunshine_boy, Jan 3, 2013

SB​, its not usually my habit to be negative in critique, though a more balanced view has been called for by some and so it is in that spirit I view these frames.

This is lazy photography, you have the experience and knowledge to do better, particularly given the very interesting subject matter. By example, those frames that don't have a blown sky illustrate an eye burdened by one elbow on the contrast button, a vacuum robot armed with a camera could have done better.

From other examples I have seen the f31 is capable of far better than this, even in low light.

Hopefully, annoyance will spur you to credit us with some taste and we'll see some excellent shots coming from your gear - the result a bit of thought and effort. The dialog was interesting.

Sunshine_boy
Like?
In reply to max metz, Jan 3, 2013

max metz wrote:

SB​, its not usually my habit to be negative in critique, though a more balanced view has been called for by some and so it is in that spirit I view these frames.

This is lazy photography, you have the experience and knowledge to do better, particularly given the very interesting subject matter. By example, those frames that don't have a blown sky illustrate an eye burdened by one elbow on the contrast button, a vacuum robot armed with a camera could have done better.

From other examples I have seen the f31 is capable of far better than this, even in low light.

Hopefully, annoyance will spur you to credit us with some taste and we'll see some excellent shots coming from your gear - the result a bit of thought and effort. The dialog was interesting.

Hi Max,

Thanks for your comments. It was indeed a leisurely stroll with snaps when a clearing through the continuously passing pedestrians would allow. The street is only about 5m wide and gets easily congested. The light was fast fading in the street while the sky was still relatively bright, hence blown. Not even an EXR could have coped with that (I didn't want to use flash). Your criticism is welcome although it would have been more constructive if it were more specific.

Greetings for the New Year

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
www.sunshine-web.com

Gary N W
Forum ProPosts: 10,595
Like?
In reply to Sunshine_boy, Jan 3, 2013

Hi Sunshine,   I rather enjoy this series.  Very well framed and nice to view.  Thanks for the fine share.  Enjoy seeing an F31 series now and then, too.  Keep them coming my friend.

Best Wishes,  Gary N W  SFO

HZP
HZP
Contributing MemberPosts: 755
Like?
In reply to Sunshine_boy, Jan 4, 2013

Best wishes to you too Sunshine. And about critics: bachelor's wives and maiden's children are often well trained

Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,466Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sunshine_boy, Jan 5, 2013

Sunshine_boy wrote:

max metz wrote:

Hi Max,

Thanks for your comments. ... Your criticism is welcome although it would have been more constructive if it were more specific.

Now I think I see why you whacked max on the head in another thread!  You responded well in this one, though. Congratulations.

At least the F31 is sharp, although it's a bit long to get far enough back in a narrow street, I reckon.

Thanks for the commentary as well - it's good to see far off places.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads