50mm 1.8 Err 001 at small aperture (f>=16)

Started Dec 27, 2012 | Questions
Safi2012
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
50mm 1.8 Err 001 at small aperture (f>=16)
Dec 27, 2012

Hi,

I'm new to the forum although I have read many posts here.

I have just received the 50mm 1.8 to use with my T3i which I bought 2 weeks ago. Whenever I set the f stop to 16 or larger (just to test the lens), I got Err 001 and had to re-attach the lens and set the f value down. The error appeared only when I pressed the shutter fully after the camera had achieved focus. I used AV mode. Is that normal and that I should avoid using such a small aperture or that my lens is defective?

Thanks a lot.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Drogba88
Forum MemberPosts: 69Gear list
Like?
Re: 50mm 1.8 Err 001 at small aperture (f>=16)
In reply to Safi2012, Dec 27, 2012

Hi there.  Just logged on and noticed your post, and since I also have the "nifty fifty" 50mm F/1.8 lens and a T3i, I thought I would check mine out.   I shot at F16 and then went down to F22, and both shots were 100 per cent OK.   I don't know what speed (ISO) you were using, but try it with a different ISO.   Other than that, I can't think of any reason you had the problem, unless your lens is defective in some way.   Was it new?   If so, it's guaranteed and you can take it back to the shop.   Also, google the error you got and find out what it means.  It's a new one on me.

Hope this helps.   Good luck.

Drogba88's gear list:Drogba88's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX160 IS Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
WilbaW
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,627Gear list
Like?
In reply to Safi2012, Dec 27, 2012

It never happens with any other lens?

You could try cleaning the electrical contacts on the lens (the 7 brass squares and rectangles on the rear of the lens). You can run them with a pencil eraser, but make sure you don't leave any crumbs anywhere on the lens!

Since it's aperture specific, I'm thinking it might be an internal error with that lens. I'd ask for an exchange.

-- hide signature --

Check out the unofficial Rebel Talk FAQ - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Safi2012
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to WilbaW, Dec 28, 2012

Thanks a lot for your replies and for letting me know that the error I got is not a common problems. I bought the camera and the lens both from Amazon and new. I shot about 200 pics with the kit lens (18-55) and several shots with 55-250 without any problems. ISOs always at 100 or 200 since I was shooting outdoor. I will probably ask Amazon for a replacement.

P/S I'm glad to find out this forum

Osiris30
Osiris30 MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,804
Like?
In reply to Safi2012, Dec 28, 2012

Safi2012 wrote:

Hi,

I'm new to the forum although I have read many posts here.

I have just received the 50mm 1.8 to use with my T3i which I bought 2 weeks ago. Whenever I set the f stop to 16 or larger (just to test the lens), I got Err 001 and had to re-attach the lens and set the f value down. The error appeared only when I pressed the shutter fully after the camera had achieved focus. I used AV mode. Is that normal and that I should avoid using such a small aperture or that my lens is defective?

Thanks a lot.

My guess is there is something wrong with the aperture blades in the lens and it's throwing the error when it tries to stop down beyond f16.  I would return the lens.

Steve

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads