Canon EOS Rebel G 35mm film Questions

Started Dec 27, 2012 | Questions
Dan Hudson
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list
Like?
Canon EOS Rebel G 35mm film Questions
Dec 27, 2012

I got so many good answers last quest, I am here to submit my latest more advanced questions.

Shooting with a new to me 35mm Canon EOS Rebel G....
If it turns out that this body is bad, I have another similar used GII.
Have not tried the GII with film yet.

1. First roll of film (Fujifilm 200 color 24 exp processed at CVS). Negatives look weak except for one near the end of the roll. I did not get physical prints since I can make my own and do extensive post processing (digital camera images). Got positives on CD. When viewed on my computer screen, they have a hazy look with little contrast. These images are retrievable but surely the end result could be better if the negatives were better. I have had much experience with B&W film processing and printing in days past while teaching photography to high school students. Have no exp with color film, only exp with digital cameras and images. I think the camera is OK. but the processing is at fault. Developer may have been depleted or another chemical. What confuses me is that one negative is good. Any suggestions?
2. Photos from the film camera (Rebel G) seem small on screen compared to my digital images. I have enlarged them by increasing the resolution. Up to a point they look good, but in the background areas which I have purposely blurred, a grainy texture has appeared very unlike the same treatment on digital images. It does not look too bad, but my efforts are toward perfection in image quality. Thought film would yield better results. Maybe better images would satisfy me more.

Lens used in this test was a Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 II Prime.

Next test will be with the Canon Zoom EF 28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6 V USM Lens. Just got it used too.

Many thanks in advance to all that endeavour to help with this problem.

-- hide signature --

Christian Amateur Photographer

Dan Hudson's gear list:Dan Hudson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P7700 Canon PowerShot S110
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Dan Hudson
Like?
Re: Canon EOS Rebel G 35mm film Questions
In reply to Dan Hudson, Dec 27, 2012

Correction...should have said I might be better satisfied with better negatives instead of images....sorry.

-- hide signature --

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lemming51
Forum ProPosts: 12,718Gear list
Like?
samples?

Dan Hudson wrote:

I got so many good answers last quest, I am here to submit my latest more advanced questions.

Shooting with a new to me 35mm Canon EOS Rebel G....
If it turns out that this body is bad, I have another similar used GII.
Have not tried the GII with film yet.

1. First roll of film (Fujifilm 200 color 24 exp processed at CVS). Negatives look weak except for one near the end of the roll. I did not get physical prints since I can make my own and do extensive post processing (digital camera images). Got positives on CD. When viewed on my computer screen, they have a hazy look with little contrast. These images are retrievable but surely the end result could be better if the negatives were better. I have had much experience with B&W film processing and printing in days past while teaching photography to high school students. Have no exp with color film, only exp with digital cameras and images. I think the camera is OK. but the processing is at fault. Developer may have been depleted or another chemical. What confuses me is that one negative is good. Any suggestions?
2. Photos from the film camera (Rebel G) seem small on screen compared to my digital images. I have enlarged them by increasing the resolution. Up to a point they look good, but in the background areas which I have purposely blurred, a grainy texture has appeared very unlike the same treatment on digital images. It does not look too bad, but my efforts are toward perfection in image quality. Thought film would yield better results. Maybe better images would satisfy me more.

Lens used in this test was a Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 II Prime.

Next test will be with the Canon Zoom EF 28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6 V USM Lens. Just got it used too.

Many thanks in advance to all that endeavour to help with this problem.

-- hide signature --

Could be bad development. If the CVS used in-house machine rather than sending out then they probably aren't replenishing chemicals as often as they should since film development volume is very low these days.

Is this newly purchased film, or is it a couple years old? Film will deteriorate on the shelf. I was partial to Kodak's color print film, but Fujifilm 200 (Superia?) was very well regarded and should produce contrasty and saturated pics.

How did you expose it? Auto exposure with evaluative metering, or did you apply EC or another metering mode?

P.S. one thing to note, the film Rebels handle color print, color slide, and most B+W films without problem, but not Infrared films. The Rebels have a little infrared emitter used to count the sprocket holes in film advance, and this will fog the bottom (top?) edge of the frames of films sensitive to infrared.

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +5 more
BAK
BAK
Forum ProPosts: 19,003
Like?

My first cocern would be whether or not the film was exposed correctly.Thin negs are underexposed, and maybe the camera is broken.

You might try a roll of slide film, which will tell you whether or not the camera is working, and the slides are scannable.

Your overall purpose -- better results from film than from digital using old 35mm cameras-- is not achievable in 2013.

BAK

Dan Hudson
Like?
In reply to BAK, Dec 28, 2012

Notice the Haze and low contrast as received on the CD. Will post my enhanced version and another unretouched CD image. Negatives were weak too.

Enhanced version of the above. All is not lost on these images.

Original image from CD. This shot was back lighted, but my angle did not include the sun. It was upper right. All these shots were made in late afternoon sun.

-- hide signature --

Dan Hudson
Like?
In reply to Dan Hudson, Dec 28, 2012

Does seeing the actual negatives change any ones decisions about the cause of the poor negatives? Hope it is the drugstore's processing at fault. I do also have some Velvia ISO 100 slide film, but only had a few days to return the camera, so that counted out sending the film off. Someone asked if I just bought the Fugifilm 200 that we are questioning and yes, I just bought it and the exp is 2014. Maybe a different film is in order and should be processed at a professional place? Where is a good place for negative film (no prints have highly rated scanner) and for slide film as it is what I originally wanted to do. Have considered self processing, but really have had enough of that while teaching. Thanks all for your great input.

-- hide signature --

Dan Hudson
Like?

As you can see...the 2nd image is not an enhanced version of the 1st as I said, but it is from an image of similar quality from the same CD.

-- hide signature --

mburns
Regular MemberPosts: 153Gear list
Like?

The small size of the images from your local film processor is a consequence of their scanner setting; 1.5 million pixels is just too inadequate. The low contrast is also a scanner setting which can be somewhat fixed in post processing, just as you have already done. Your fixed up example looks great, which implies that any underexposure or underdevelopment was not serious on that frame. Adding artificial detail to get more pixel resolution is not a good idea for film or digital.

But send your exposed film to North Coast Photo for development and their enhanced scans. Seventeen million full color pixel scans and the ability of film to compress highlights (differentiated from pure white) make very competitive digital renditions possible.

Slide film is another matter; you can project on a screen many extreme colors that just do not show on a computer screen.

mburns's gear list:mburns's gear list
Samsung ST65 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 80-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II +57 more
Dan Hudson
Like?
In reply to mburns, Dec 28, 2012

WOW, what great insight you have. The big question remaining is do you think my New old Rebel G is OK? Thanks so much

-- hide signature --

mburns
Like?

Well, what I can add is that underexposure eliminates contrast in the shadows, and underdevelopment reduces contrast more in the highlights.

Samsung ST65 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 80-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II +57 more
Dan Hudson
Like?
In reply to mburns, Dec 29, 2012

Haze seem to be over all.

-- hide signature --

R2D2
Forum ProPosts: 14,523Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dan Hudson, Dec 29, 2012

Keep in mind that Negatives don't lie (anyone you know have a Transmission Densitometer?).

I'd just buy a fresh roll of color positive and send it off to a reputable lab such as AandI (aandi.com). I thnk that Adorama still does E-6 and C-41) too. That way you'll be sure.

Best of luck,

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 70D
mburns
Like?
In reply to Dan Hudson, Dec 29, 2012

I found your examples to be easy to fix, so it is hard for me to think that anything serious is wrong with your camera. ( I used a level curve, pulled the black level from the lower left to the base of the histogram, moved the white level, from the top right, left along the top closer to the right edge of the histogram, and then I pulled down the middle of the level curve until the white haze was gone.) The most needed is perhaps some compensation for the shutter calibration, which must be found out by experience with the camera.

Please send your work to a better film processor.

Dan Hudson
Like?
In reply to Dan Hudson, Jan 4, 2013

As suggested by this group, I used a different processor (Walgreens) and got very good negatives. I have an Epsom Perfection V500 Scanner which makes good positive scans. At first My scans were better than the CD images that the first processor provided, but were still a little hazy. I changed scan DPI and sRGB and the scans became fine without haze. Started at 300 DPI and went to 1200 DPI. I do not believe the DPI had anything to do with the quality improvement. It must have been that I checked ICC sRGB. What DPI should I scan at for images of sharp quality at 11 x 14 and larger?

Thanks again everyone!!!

-- hide signature --

Y0GI
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,210Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dan Hudson, Jan 4, 2013

Dan Hudson wrote:

As suggested by this group, I used a different processor (Walgreens) and got very good negatives. I have an Epsom Perfection V500 Scanner which makes good positive scans. At first My scans were better than the CD images that the first processor provided, but were still a little hazy. I changed scan DPI and sRGB and the scans became fine without haze. Started at 300 DPI and went to 1200 DPI. I do not believe the DPI had anything to do with the quality improvement. It must have been that I checked ICC sRGB. What DPI should I scan at for images of sharp quality at 11 x 14 and larger?

Thanks again everyone!!!

-- hide signature --

You're talking about scanning the 35mm film negative, right?  If so, I would scan at your scanner's maximum resolution, hopefully something like 2400 or 4800 DPI.

-- hide signature --

Yogi
When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!
See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.
Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads