People using their tablets as cameras, explain this to me!

Started Dec 26, 2012 | Discussions
oki_
Regular MemberPosts: 124
Like?
People using their tablets as cameras, explain this to me!
Dec 26, 2012

This is an increasing trend. People carrying around their huge tablets to take pictures, or worse, videos. I can completely understand taking snapshots with your phone, but not with tablets. I fail to comprehend this.

malabraxis
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?
Re: People using their tablets as cameras, explain this to me!
In reply to oki_, Dec 26, 2012

Dude, ever since photography went digital, every Tom, Dick and Harry is now a photographer! And of course, every corporate type must also advertise the fact that they are corporate types.

After two decades in the business, I've seen some pretty weird stuff . I've already learnt that technology and common sense don't always work together. I suppose it's easier to just pick up your I-pad instead of fumbling for your I-phone?

Don't worry; as with every fad, the novelty factor will soon fade off when they realise what tits they look like.

malabraxis's gear list:malabraxis's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D90 Nikon D200 Nikon D3X Nikon D3100 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brianj
Forum ProPosts: 13,266Gear list
Like?

oki_ wrote:

This is an increasing trend. People carrying around their huge tablets to take pictures, or worse, videos. I can completely understand taking snapshots with your phone, but not with tablets. I fail to comprehend this.

Its just infatuation with their new toy, they want to use it for everything and sleep with it, they will eventually get over it and fall in love with the next new toy.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 5,712Gear list
Like?

oki_ wrote:

Yes, it looks awkward. But I guess if people want to look at their pictures/videos on the tablets, shooting with one device and then transferring to another becomes a hassle (althoguh with all those cloud sync features it should not matter).

contadorfan
Contributing MemberPosts: 862Gear list
Like?
In reply to brianj, Dec 26, 2012

Last year I was in a dim restaurant with some friends. I took pictures with my DSLR & flash, and my friend took pictures with her iPad.  Her pictures were nice & bright &  got the subtle colors just right. My photos weren't as good -- darker & the colors weren't true.  I was shocked (and a little annoyed).

contadorfan's gear list:contadorfan's gear list
Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD
MPrince
Senior MemberPosts: 1,038
Like?

Why should it matter to you what other people choose to do?  No doubt you engage in various activities that befuddle others.  If you want the freedom to exercise your own quirks, you need to be tolerant of others to exercise theirs.

David Clarke29
Contributing MemberPosts: 708
Like?
In reply to MPrince, Dec 26, 2012

The OP, if that is who you are referring to was merely wondering why people did what they did - he wasn't criticising.

-- hide signature --

Dave. (UK)

brianj
Forum ProPosts: 13,266Gear list
Like?
In reply to contadorfan, Dec 26, 2012

contadorfan wrote:

Last year I was in a dim restaurant with some friends. I took pictures with my DSLR & flash, and my friend took pictures with her iPad. Her pictures were nice & bright & got the subtle colors just right. My photos weren't as good -- darker & the colors weren't true. I was shocked (and a little annoyed).

I had a similair experience on a dimly lit tramcar restaurant, I wanted the waiter to take my mife and I picture, and my fabulous settings were coming out too dark, so he simply turned my camera to full AUTO and got a perfect shot !!

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
pcassel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,975Gear list
Like?
Duh

You have your iPad with you and wish to take a snap. You use it to take a snap. The alternative is to not take the snap.

-- hide signature --

-paul

donaldsc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,546
Like?

As was said by some politician - you can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time.

-- hide signature --

Don

Michael Melb AU
Contributing MemberPosts: 935
Like?
In reply to contadorfan, Dec 26, 2012

Someone is better with iPhone than the one with DSLR? Shocking indeed... Ditch your DSLR or take some lessons on it's proper use.

GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,273Gear list
Like?
Re: Duh
In reply to pcassel, Dec 26, 2012

pcassel wrote:

You have your iPad with you and wish to take a snap. You use it to take a snap. The alternative is to not take the snap.

No, the alternative is to use the proper tool for the job, and a large tablet is NOT the right tool.

I have seen people using their large tablets (presumably ipads) to take photos in restaurants.  In most cases it appears to be nothing less than showing off... 'ohhh, look what I have'.

I live in Bangkok, where flaunting it is the norm among Thais.  I can guarantee you that every Thai I saw using their tablet to take a photo also had a phone with them.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +39 more
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,900Gear list
Like?
In reply to contadorfan, Dec 27, 2012

contadorfan wrote:

Last year I was in a dim restaurant with some friends. I took pictures with my DSLR & flash, and my friend took pictures with her iPad. Her pictures were nice & bright & got the subtle colors just right. My photos weren't as good -- darker & the colors weren't true. I was shocked (and a little annoyed).

You were doing something wrong...

Mike_PEAT
Forum ProPosts: 10,302Gear list
Like?
Having just done that the other day...
In reply to oki_, Dec 27, 2012

I needed to take a picture for work...I didn't have any of my dSLRs or my MILCs, and I didn't have my phone...all I had was my iPad which I always have on me.  It was made more awkward due to the cover I have on it.

In my defense it was either iPad or no picture.  My iPod Touch would have been a lot less awkward...I can't imagine the iPad mini being better though.

Mike_PEAT's gear list:Mike_PEAT's gear list
Lytro Light Field 16GB
T3
T3
Forum ProPosts: 17,876
Like?
can't beat the size of that viewfinder!

oki_ wrote:

Well, a tablet's screen does make one heck of a large viewfinder!

Seriously, though, I doubt people are carrying around tablets specifically and exclusively to shoot pictures or video.  They just happen to have it with them.  But I can easily see why someone might want to use a tablet to do so.  First of all, as I mentioned, you do get a HUGE screen to look at and compose with.  Secondly, if you want your picture or video to end up on your tablet, it sure does make a lot of sense to just shoot it on your tablet to begin with.  Then, you can do all kinds of editing with it on your tablet, and share it with others off your tablet.  Believe it or not, there are a lot of less sophisticated users who find it too tricky or too troublesome to get an image or video from a camera onto a computer then onto a tablet.  So they find it just a lot easier to just use the camera on the tablet!

My parents have an iPad, and yes, they do take photos and videos with the iPad.  Because of their age, their eyes are not great anymore, so they appreciate the big screen.  And they love that the pictures or videos go right onto the iPad, with its big beautiful screen, ready to show others or to send off to friends.

At any rate, keep a more open mind when it comes to the needs or preferences of others.  If you do that, then you might find it easier to "comprehend" why people use tablets to take pictures or shoot video.

Plus, while you might decry the use of tablets because you think they are "huge", I'm sure you have no problem with people lugging around big DSLRs and big DSLR lenses to take pictures or shoot video!  Heck, you would probably think nothing of someone lugging around a big bag full of camera gear that is far bulkier and heavier than a thin, light tablet!

T3
T3
Like?
In reply to peevee1, Dec 27, 2012

peevee1 wrote:

oki_ wrote:

Yes, it looks awkward. But I guess if people want to look at their pictures/videos on the tablets, shooting with one device and then transferring to another becomes a hassle (althoguh with all those cloud sync features it should not matter).

Yes, I can definitely agree that that is one reason.  I have older parents who have an iPad, and if they want photos or videos on their iPad (which they usually do), they just find it a heck of a lot easier to use the iPad's camera to begin with!  It saves them the hassle of having to transfer files from one device to another!  I'm sure a LOT of people feel the same way.  So in reality, for many people it's actually MORE convenient to just use a tablet to take a photo than to use a phone or a dedicated camera.

T3
T3
Like?
In reply to Michael Melb AU, Dec 27, 2012

Michael Melb AU wrote:

Someone is better with iPhone than the one with DSLR? Shocking indeed... Ditch your DSLR or take some lessons on it's proper use.

Well, that is an issue isn't it: that you might actually have to take "lessons on it's proper use" to get good results from a DSLR. Sure, while it might be a noble thing to dedicate some time towards lessons or reading a book on how to use a DSLR to get good results, a lot of other people would rather just get good results without all that hassle.

For all the technological firepower that is packed into a DSLR, I too find that my smart phone can take a better exposed and better looking image with far greater convenience and far less hassle than my DSLR, especially if you just want a good snap shot.  My sister, who doesn't know a thing about photography, recently showed me a series of wonderful photo from a recent trip she took...all images shot with her new smart phone.  I was dumbstruck at how good the images looked, straight out of the camera...er, I mean, straight out of the phone.  I can pretty much guarantee that if I had lent her one of my DSLRs for the trip, her images would have come back looking a lot worse, requiring a lot of post processing to get them to look good.  And someone like you or me would have scolded her by saying, "You should take some lessons on its proper use!"

robert1955
Senior MemberPosts: 1,705
Like?
In reply to David Clarke29, Dec 27, 2012

The way he formulated his 'question'was not neutral. From his tone it ws clear he was critizing.

malabraxis
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?

I suppose if you're booked at a wedding and you pitch up with a I-pad, some eyebrows will be raised. OTOH, if ease of use and convenience is important, what could be easier than to just pick up that tablet and go 'click'. Each to their ways, I suppose... both have their merits. Still looks kinda funny though.

malabraxis's gear list:malabraxis's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D90 Nikon D200 Nikon D3X Nikon D3100 +9 more
Lee Jay
Forum ProPosts: 44,406Gear list
Like?
Re: Having just done that the other day...
In reply to Mike_PEAT, Dec 27, 2012

Mike_PEAT wrote:

didn't have my phone...all I had was my iPad which I always have on me.

You can carry a huge iPad, but not a phone?  You must have some oddly-shaped pockets.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay
(see profile for equipment)

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon ELPH 500 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads