My friend has a $500 budget for a Canon or Nikon DSLR

Started Dec 26, 2012 | Discussions
Damianicus
Regular MemberPosts: 118Gear list
Like?
My friend has a $500 budget for a Canon or Nikon DSLR
Dec 26, 2012

Maybe I can get her to spend a little more. I was thinking used Canon XSI body and a used Tamron 17-55mm. I told her to avoid the kit lenses and I assume she wants a zoom not a prime. My wife has an XSI, it's pretty good, but her 18-55mm is junky... So we'd rather go older used camera to get the next level of glass.

she is open to Nikon. Doesn't care if it shoots video.

Any other suggestions?

Damianicus's gear list:Damianicus's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
kgbruce01
Senior MemberPosts: 1,245
Like?
Re: My friend has a $500 budget for a Canon or Nikon DSLR
In reply to Damianicus, Dec 26, 2012

Damianicus wrote:

Maybe I can get her to spend a little more.

No need, there are lots of camaeras in that range.

I was thinking used Canon XSI body and a used Tamron 17-55mm.

those are fine, but a new kit and kit lens will be just as good,

I told her to avoid the kit lenses

Why would you do a thing like that? Thats just silly! That implies there is something inherently wrong with kit lenses, and there is not.

and I assume she wants a zoom not a prime.

Never assume, always ask, you may be wrong.

My wife has an XSI, it's pretty good, but her 18-55mm is junky...

That is a great lens capable of producing wonderful pictures in the hands of a knowledgeable photographer.

So we'd rather go older used camera to get the next level of glass.

'Next level'? I'm not so sure your thinking is is solid on these matters. Modern so called 'kit lenses' trounce the lenses I used on my first SLR's - and those early SLR's took great pics.

I am suspect of these shots from the 'junky' kit lens. If you or she cannot make good photos with the XSi and kit lens - you won't be able to buy into a solution.

Any other suggestions?

Yes, have your friend go to a camera store and hand hold all the options to see which one 'feels' right. Good luck.

Canon DSLR and kit lens shot below...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Prime85
Contributing MemberPosts: 731
Like?
In reply to kgbruce01, Dec 26, 2012

I would consider the Nikon D5100 with kit lens at $550.00

Very good price.

ARShutterbug
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,354Gear list
Like?
What's it for?

Spend a little more than what, and more importantly, for what?  It doesn't sound like the purchase has a purpose, which makes it hard to choose a camera and lenses.

baloo_buc
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,710Gear list
Like?

Damianicus wrote:

Canon 18-55 mm lens was one of the worst lens ever made (Sony 18-70 mm was another junk). In the meantime Canon has upgraded its kit lens so now it's decent.

Based on the budget a Nikon D5100 with 18-55 mm VR or Canon 550D with 18-55 mm IS. Nikon has a better sensor while Canon puts more features in the camera. Ergonomically I prefer Nikon. Let your friend try the Canon of your wife. If she will not like the ergonomics I would rule out Canon.

If the budget can be increased I would get Nikon D5100 with 18-105 mm VR (sometimes found as a kit).

Here are a few with different lenses:

with Nikkor AF-S 18-105 mm VR (ISO 1600)

with Nikkor AF-S 35 mm f/1.8 G (ISO 100)

with Nikkor AF-S 18-105 mm VR (ISO 4500)

baloo_buc's gear list:baloo_buc's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +9 more
gwlaw99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,111
Like?
In reply to baloo_buc, Dec 26, 2012
inlawbiker
Contributing MemberPosts: 796Gear list
Like?
In reply to gwlaw99, Dec 26, 2012

What an amazing deal that is.  I bought my D5100 without the lens for $499 and I still think it was a great deal.

This is a no-brainer, the D5100 refurbished kit is the best deal going right now.  With the extra $100 in the budget get the SB-400 flash.

inlawbiker's gear list:inlawbiker's gear list
Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED
Damianicus
Like?

Why would you do a thing like that? Thats just silly! That implies there is something inherently wrong with kit lenses, and there is not.

because I have owned the 18-55mm IS, the 18-135mm and the 18-200mm. I also first drove a Chevy Monza and now I drive an Audi TT. So you can praise the kits and Monzas all day but I know the difference beyween a 3.5 to 5.6F lens versus a 2.8 and better. Yes they both take "good" pics but there is a reason they sell bodies only,

Yes the kits are acceptable. But ill take a used 2.8F Tamron over a new Canon 3.5-5.6 kit any day, and I'm advising she do the same.

That is a great lens capable of producing wonderful pictures in the hands of a knowledgeable photographer

"Junky" refers to the build. I own L glass, I have seen the light brother.

So we'd rather go older used camera to get the next level of glass.

'Next level'? I'm not so sure your thinking is is solid on these matters. Modern so called 'kit lenses' trounce the lenses I used on my first SLR's - and those early SLR's took great pics.

I am suspect of these shots from the 'junky' kit lens. If you or she cannot make good photos with the XSi and kit lens - you won't be able to buy into a solution.

next level means 2.8F. And not "plastic" feeling with a crappy tiny focus ring. Are you really going to praise Canon's 18-55 all day?

Any other suggestions?

Yes, have your friend go to a camera store and hand hold all the options to see which one 'feels' right. Good luck.

of course, that's advice I always include. Thanks.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 5,443Gear list
Like?

kgbruce01 wrote:

Damianicus wrote:

No need, there are lots of camaeras in that range.

I was thinking used Canon XSI body and a used Tamron 17-55mm.

those are fine, but a new kit and kit lens will be just as good,

I think he meant Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical IF SP AF (what a name). And no, the kit 18-55/3.5-5.6 is not as good, especially in low light.

Damianicus
Like?
In reply to peevee1, Dec 27, 2012

She's leaning toward a Canon T2i or T3i body so I need to suggest a lens. So I'd love to hear suggestions on a new or used 2.8F zoom and prime of any brand. I'm not sure which she wants first, zoom or prime. If it's a prime IMO it should be a 24mm, 28mm (Canon) or 30mm (Sigma). As 50mm on a crop sensor is too zoomed for indoor.

It seems in my research that Tamron is beating Sigma in the off brand game. Higher build consistency.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
beagle1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,683
Like?
In reply to Damianicus, Dec 27, 2012

Damianicus wrote:

She's leaning toward a Canon T2i or T3i body so I need to suggest a lens. So I'd love to hear suggestions on a new or used 2.8F zoom and prime of any brand. I'm not sure which she wants first, zoom or prime. If it's a prime IMO it should be a 24mm, 28mm (Canon) or 30mm (Sigma). As 50mm on a crop sensor is too zoomed for indoor.

It seems in my research that Tamron is beating Sigma in the off brand game. Higher build consistency.

Both Tamron and Sigma make good lens but they vary so look at the lens comparison sites.  Sigma makes a good 17-50 2.8 zoom.    For the best price on a T3i or T2i (550D) look at the "market price watch" section on this site

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads