Leonard Cohen -- last concert shot with the F200EXR

Started Dec 25, 2012 | Discussions
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,407Gear list
Like?
thanks Gary!
In reply to Gary N W, Dec 30, 2012
 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kim Letkeman
Like?
Re: Leonard Cohen -- last concert shot with the F200EXR
In reply to Michael Melb AU, Dec 30, 2012

Michael Melb AU wrote:

Gary N W wrote:

To my eyes this is one terrific series. Fine framing, outstanding color and clarity. Subject matter is superb. Even with the slight crop still looks great here. I would not get rid of your F200EXR anytime soon. Overall a very fine share and nice to view.

I do wish you luck with your new F770EXR!

Be well and Happy New Year,

Gary N W SFO

I would rather reserve my superlatives for something like this http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/37620795

So you are saying that a long zoom on a 4/3" sensor should not have so easily beat an F200EXR in JPEG from a long distance

And , while I do not share too much affection with the subject (in both cases)

Wow, how many people do you think would actually find that tidbit interesting?

I should say that for a guy that developed his own unique technique of imaging with EXP soapbox this is pretty lame in technical sense.

EXP soap box ... you must mean EXR. These two are 6 keys apart, so maybe I am wrong

Pretty lame ... in what technical sense? The sense where I chose to not try to get my GX1 confiscated at the door?

Perhaps a few of my other concert images would be more satisfactory ...

The Hip, shot way back in 2007 ... an F10 on auto no less ... again, I was unable to sneak in a larger camera ... bummer, yes?

The F550EXR was much more useful with its long lens ... here is Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues in 2011 ...

But since you favour images shot with larger sensors, how about this image of Jakob Dylan of the Wallflowers? I was a bit closer and had the D300 with 70-300VR with me ...

And what a treat a few days later ... of course, I was further away this time ...

Great knowledge of subject matter though - here I agree.

Me too

Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Kim Letkeman
Like?

Michael Melb AU wrote:

These images are taken with love and knowledge - which compensates in part for blotchy colors of curtains and unclear face expessions because of conveniently chosen downsampling. They are definitely not out of place on some internet blog.

Wow ... you are one bitter dude.

F30/31 would probably do just as well -

Se my other response to your other whinge ... I show an F10 in action, and a few other cams ...

and probably not worse than F770.

Yes, worse. By a mile. Reach and RAW win every time.

But, as compared to iPhone,

WHy are you still talking

(many of concert goers use), the images are definitely much better.

Thanks for the back of your hand ... what a lame critique.

I just keep wondering why buy something like a discounted F770 if 4/3s are at hand?

Have you been to a concert in this century? One cannot take an m4/3 into most major venues. Not with a lens that can reach the performers from anywhere.

They would definitely do. 2Mp crop from central part of an image would take us much closer than this.

So? Getting one in is dicey and leaving one with security is of no interest to me.

Knuckles 79
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?

Michael Melb AU wrote:

Gary N W wrote:

To my eyes this is one terrific series. Fine framing, outstanding color and clarity. Subject matter is superb. Even with the slight crop still looks great here. I would not get rid of your F200EXR anytime soon. Overall a very fine share and nice to view.

I do wish you luck with your new F770EXR!

Be well and Happy New Year,

Gary N W SFO

I would rather reserve my superlatives for something like this http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/37620795
And , while I do not share too much affection with the subject (in both cases) I should say that for a guy that developed his own unique technique of imaging with EXP soapbox this is pretty lame in technical sense. Great knowledge of subject matter though - here I agree.

I'm with you Michael.  I did not like Guns and Roses at all.  November Rain was the only song they sang that I liked.

But, they are fantastic low light images.  Thanks for linking to them.

-- hide signature --

"Knuckles"

danny_only
Forum ProPosts: 11,115Gear list
Like?
Re: Pocket MegaZoomCompact is Just Fun...
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Dec 31, 2012

Kim Letkeman wrote:

danny_only wrote:

is good for concert shooting, but then the tele end is limiting.

Yes, which is my whole point.

Because it is possible to shoot at 400iso or 800iso in bright light, all the EXR cameras can actually shoot in JPEG with some success. But longer lenses still help a great deal.

I see what you mean, ever since I used the Panasonic FZ1 (not exactly compact but the lens with constant aperture and stabilized is just fun to use), I loce to have a megazoom to carry with me to work.

Some of my F300exr examples

I was standing on a foot bridge and looking down to the zebra crossing.

F70EXR from quite a distance

But with RAW, we can get even better results from the F550 ... which is why I look forward to again shooting this newer generation of camera with an even stronger lens.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
Danny
'Close enough is good enough, I just come here for fun:p
Fujifilm Alternate Low Light Solution'
http://g4.img-dpreview.com/994AB6F626554A6BB0A3BD05309E0000.jpg
Other Pics
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/yeeonly/

danny_only's gear list:danny_only's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Olympus C-4000 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 +13 more
Kim Letkeman
Like?
Re: Pocket MegaZoomCompact is Just Fun...
In reply to danny_only, Jan 3, 2013

Nice shots. Hopefully, people who see the crop will understand that 1/2" sensors are not meant to bear scrutiny in shadows at 100% ... they are meant to provide opportunities to grab shots that could not otherwise be taken.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads