Leonard Cohen -- last concert shot with the F200EXR

Started Dec 25, 2012 | Discussions
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 31,907Gear list
Like?
Leonard Cohen -- last concert shot with the F200EXR
Dec 25, 2012

So I do like the F200EXR, but the Leonard Cohen concert was the last straw on that "only goes to 140mm" thing ... and that "no RAW" thing is just a PITA.

Some examples from the concert, during which I was unable to get closer to the stage than this

This is a slight crop, showing that the players are clearly visible, as it Leonard ... but the detail is a bit lacking.

Cropping can get you only so far when the optical zoom is weak and there is no RAW option.

The concert itself was magnificent ... Leonard continues to do what he started a few years ago when he blew much younger acts off the stage at Glastenbury and other venues (if I recall that info correctly) ... he gave us almost three hours of hits and new music with 3 or 4 encores going well past the usual concert ending time ... extremely impressive for a 78 year old man. And his voice was perfect all the way through.

This was, I believe, the scene during Hallelujah ...

A beautiful, if simple, set with the kind of lights that look great on film. The F200EXR was shot, as usual, in P mode at 6mp and I used DR400 (of course.) This preserves the lights very well while providing a reasonable level of control over the noise. Basically, as good as EXR JPEG gets ...

But again, cropping is pretty dicey ...

See the whole gallery here: http://letkeman.net/Photos/cohen_nac_7dec2012

Regarding the subject line ... why did I say "last concert shot with the F200EXR" ... ?

Because I placed an order this morning for the F770EXR, which is on sale today for $229 at Henrys ... this is the lowest price I have ever seen. It is lower than every available price on amazon, even for used cameras. I call that an irresistible deal ... I almost bought it for more money two weeks ago ... glad I waited

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Kim Letkeman
Like?
Re: Leonard Cohen -- last concert shot with the F200EXR
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Dec 25, 2012
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Maybe if you stopped buying cheap seats....

-- hide signature --

DISCLAIMER: The text written herein is meant to provide the opinions and/or suggestions of the author. No statement herein is meant to be considered law of the land, representative of any party or group, and or a quote from any party or group. Neither is any statement in the contained text meant to be taken as scripture, doctrine, or all encompassing of an entire populous or any groups or individuals therein.

rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,101Gear list
Like?

Kim Letkeman wrote:

So I do like the F200EXR, but the Leonard Cohen concert was the last straw on that "only goes to 140mm" thing ... and that "no RAW" thing is just a PITA.

Some examples from the concert, during which I was unable to get closer to the stage than this

This is a slight crop, showing that the players are clearly visible, as it Leonard ... but the detail is a bit lacking.

Looks good still for that distance.

Because I placed an order this morning for the F770EXR, which is on sale today for $229 at Henrys ... this is the lowest price I have ever seen. It is lower than every available price on amazon, even for used cameras. I call that an irresistible deal ... I almost bought it for more money two weeks ago ... glad I waited

That's a good deal for now.

We got ours from Amazon Warehouse (meaning it was a return but completely as new) in July for $219. That low price only lasted a week or so - they had quite a few returns at that time, which seems to be what sets the pricing.

You, however, will have 12 months warranty! Ours expired long ago.

Happy Christmas to you.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

HZP
HZP
Contributing MemberPosts: 737
Like?
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Dec 26, 2012

Kim, no way that 770 is going to beat the 200. Unless you plan to get a front row seat nex time.

Macro performance of the 770 is excellent, allowing you to focus as close as 1cm away from the subject. Can't believe you went for that one.

Nice pics though.

Kim Letkeman
Like?
In reply to rattymouse, Dec 26, 2012

rattymouse wrote:

Maybe if you stopped buying cheap seats....

I spent years paying $200 per seat ... my boys got to see all the greats as they toured through the city from very close proximity ... I still buy good seats now and again ...

But I have found that the acoustics are excellent everywhere in the Scotiabank Center and at the NAC, so I really do not need to spend $600 when I can get us all in for $100 ...

But if you want to burn your cash, please feel free

Kim Letkeman
Like?
In reply to Trevor G, Dec 26, 2012

Trevor G wrote:

That's a good deal for now.

We got ours from Amazon Warehouse (meaning it was a return but completely as new) in July for $219. That low price only lasted a week or so - they had quite a few returns at that time, which seems to be what sets the pricing.

You, however, will have 12 months warranty! Ours expired long ago.

Happy Christmas to you.

Thanks Trevor. and to you. The cost of these cams will continue to drop ... I almost went F800 for $279, but I did not see much point in taking WiFi over GPS. I like GPS now and again.

Kim Letkeman
Like?
In reply to HZP, Dec 26, 2012

HZP wrote:

Kim, no way that 770 is going to beat the 200. Unless you plan to get a front row seat nex time.

Interesting comment ... I have shot dozens of concerts from all over the arenas with various Fuji cams from the F11 to the F70, the F80, the F300 and the F550 and now the F200 ... the F550 stomped them all because it had 360mm reach and RAW.

The F770 is even better.

I wonder why it is that you would say what you said as it cannot possibly be correct?

Macro performance of the 770 is excellent, allowing you to focus as close as 1cm away from the subject. Can't believe you went for that one.

I'm really confused. The 770 has a 500mm lens and the wonderful 1/2" sensor that shoots RAW so well. What is the issue with it?

Nice pics though.

Thanks. The F200 is as good as it can be with only JPEG and 140mm ...

Ralph McKenzie
Senior MemberPosts: 1,649Gear list
Like?

I would agree with Kim's assessment. The F770 should do the trick nicely. Its got a good sensor and a long lens. Easier to get into the venue than my HS20, which of course sports the same sensor as the F770.

Lowlight response of the 1/2 inch sensor is pretty good to.

-- hide signature --

Love dat Fuji
http://akiwiretrospective.wordpress.com/
Fuji HS20EXR
Fuji HS10,
Pentax K1000, Pentax sf7, Pentax zx-50

Ralph McKenzie's gear list:Ralph McKenzie's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR
Kim Letkeman
Like?
2/3" versus 1/2" sensors ...
In reply to Ralph McKenzie, Dec 26, 2012

Ralph McKenzie wrote:

I would agree with Kim's assessment. The F770 should do the trick nicely. Its got a good sensor and a long lens. Easier to get into the venue than my HS20, which of course sports the same sensor as the F770.

Lowlight response of the 1/2 inch sensor is pretty good to.

It is amazing ... and thanks for introducing that topic ... the F600 is the last one with that sensor that was tested in RAW and it almost ties the X-S1 which we know cannot really be shot well in RAW. So the two really are in what I would consider to be a tie ... which is very impressive when you consider that the light gathering area of the 2/3" sensor in the X-S1 is 1.9 times the size of the 1/2" sensor ...

HZP
HZP
Contributing MemberPosts: 737
Like?

My mistake Kim. Thought you ment JPEG. I always forget about raw. Never use it myself. Hope you get to try it out next time good old Leonard is on stage.

danny_only
Forum ProPosts: 11,115Gear list
Like?
Re: F200

is good for concert shooting, but then the tele end is limiting.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
Danny
'Close enough is good enough, I just come here for fun:p
Fujifilm Alternate Low Light Solution'
http://g4.img-dpreview.com/994AB6F626554A6BB0A3BD05309E0000.jpg
Other Pics
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/yeeonly/

danny_only's gear list:danny_only's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Olympus C-4000 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 +13 more
Kim Letkeman
Like?
In reply to danny_only, Dec 26, 2012

danny_only wrote:

is good for concert shooting, but then the tele end is limiting.

Yes, which is my whole point.

Because it is possible to shoot at 400iso or 800iso in bright light, all the EXR cameras can actually shoot in JPEG with some success. But longer lenses still help a great deal.

F70EXR from quite a distance

But with RAW, we can get even better results from the F550 ... which is why I look forward to again shooting this newer generation of camera with an even stronger lens.

rube39
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,286Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Dec 29, 2012

The F770 has been at ¥14,500 for several months now in Japan. I got mine 6 weeks ago, and to me it was a steal at that price. I bought it for the long lens and have good success with birds in good light. I thought I would use it in RAW, but in good light I don't find the RAWs developed in LR4 all that much better than the JPEGs shot using Kim's recommend EXE sensor settings. And they come in a 25megs!

BTW, I have the F200 too, and am keeping it.

Kim Letkeman
Like?
In reply to rube39, Dec 29, 2012

rube39 wrote:

The F770 has been at ¥14,500 for several months now in Japan. I got mine 6 weeks ago, and to me it was a steal at that price. I bought it for the long lens and have good success with birds in good light. I thought I would use it in RAW, but in good light I don't find the RAWs developed in LR4 all that much better than the JPEGs shot using Kim's recommend EXE sensor settings. And they come in a 25megs!

That's a good point to note. I shoot RAW with the F550 and now the F770, but JPEG looks great in bright light. It really is a terrific sensor.

CAcreeks
Senior MemberPosts: 5,971
Like?
Re: question about Leonard Cohen

Hope you get a good lens on your F770, Kim!  Nice work with the F200EXR.

Why does Leonard Cohen always wear a hat in concert? Maybe you Canadians know.

I really like his voice. It is a wonderful break from all the high-pitched Rock & Roll castrati.

Gary N W
Forum ProPosts: 10,444
Like?

To my eyes this is one terrific series.  Fine framing, outstanding color and clarity.  Subject matter is superb.  Even with the slight crop still looks great here.  I would not get rid of your F200EXR anytime soon.  Overall a very fine share and nice to view.

I do wish you luck with your new F770EXR!

Be well and Happy New Year,

Gary N W  SFO

Michael Melb AU
Contributing MemberPosts: 935
Like?
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Dec 30, 2012

These images are taken with love and knowledge - which compensates in part for blotchy colors of curtains and unclear face expessions because of conveniently chosen downsampling. They are definitely not out of place on some internet blog. F30/31 would probably do just as well - and probably not worse than F770. But, as compared to iPhone, (many of concert goers use), the images are definitely much better. I just keep wondering why buy something like a discounted F770 if 4/3s are at hand? They would definitely do. 2Mp crop from central part of an image would take us much closer than this.

Michael Melb AU
Contributing MemberPosts: 935
Like?
In reply to Gary N W, Dec 30, 2012

Gary N W wrote:

To my eyes this is one terrific series. Fine framing, outstanding color and clarity. Subject matter is superb. Even with the slight crop still looks great here. I would not get rid of your F200EXR anytime soon. Overall a very fine share and nice to view.

I do wish you luck with your new F770EXR!

Be well and Happy New Year,

Gary N W SFO

I would rather reserve my superlatives for  something like this http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/37620795
And , while I do not share too much affection with the subject (in both cases) I should say that for a guy that developed his  own unique technique of imaging with EXP soapbox this is pretty lame in technical sense. Great knowledge of subject matter though - here I agree.

Kim Letkeman
Like?
Re: question about Leonard Cohen
In reply to CAcreeks, Dec 30, 2012

CAcreeks wrote:

Hope you get a good lens on your F770, Kim! Nice work with the F200EXR.

Why does Leonard Cohen always wear a hat in concert? Maybe you Canadians know.

I really like his voice. It is a wonderful break from all the high-pitched Rock & Roll castrati.

Not sure about the hat ... but he makes reference to himself in a suit in at least one of his songs ... so perhaps it's just "a thing" ...

Remember, he's 78 years old and was born in the great depression. Which means that his formative years were the 40s and 50s ... one gets used to a certain look I imagine ...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads