X-E1 + 18-55mm strange pixels problem

Started Dec 24, 2012 | Discussions
cigno82
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
X-E1 + 18-55mm strange pixels problem
Dec 24, 2012

Image crop: pink pixels row on the upper left corner.

Hello,

I'm an happy new owner of the Fuji x-e1 + 18-55 mm lens, it's seriously a great camera! I've a question for you, I've found a strange behaviour of the camera, shooting only between 27 and 30 mm of the focal length, jpeg files. I'm finding in all shots at this focal length a strange pink row of pixels on the extreme upper left of the image. Do you have opinion about this problem? Similar experiences? I haven't tried raw version of files (I haven't a converter on my mac now), but seeing the raw image preview on camera's lcd, it seems to not have that strange row.

Could you help me with opinions? Thank you very much, merry Christmas!

Valerio

Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
cigno82
Like?
Re: X-E1 + 18-55mm strange pixels problem
In reply to cigno82, Dec 25, 2012

Full image with upper left corner with the pixel problem

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
IrishhAndy
Contributing MemberPosts: 868
Like?

cigno82 wrote:

Hello,

I'm an happy new owner of the Fuji x-e1 + 18-55 mm lens, it's seriously a great camera! I've a question for you, I've found a strange behaviour of the camera, shooting only between 27 and 30 mm of the focal length, jpeg files. I'm finding in all shots at this focal length a strange pink row of pixels on the extreme upper left of the image. Do you have opinion about this problem? Similar experiences? I haven't tried raw version of files (I haven't a converter on my mac now), but seeing the raw image preview on camera's lcd, it seems to not have that strange row.

Could you help me with opinions? Thank you very much, merry Christmas!

Valerio

I was getting a similar problem round the edges with my 2 bodies. I sent them back as I thought there might be a bad batch of sensors.

Do you notice it getting worse if you lift the shadows?  Does it only happen when you have exposure compensation down by a stop ?

-- hide signature --

Without the darkness the light would be nothing !

cigno82
Like?
In reply to IrishhAndy, Dec 25, 2012

For now, all these samples have been taken without exposure compensation. It's strange that this happen only between 27 and 30 mm of the zoom focal length... I think to carry the camera to the authorized Fuji center in Milan, do you think the camera needs to be replaced?

opticaloptimum
Forum MemberPosts: 87Gear list
Like?

As it only occurs with certain focal lengths with a particular lens type I suspect that it is a minor bug in the lens correction software - the parameters used for this will naturally depend on the focal length used as the distortion correction needed will change as well.

opticaloptimum's gear list:opticaloptimum's gear list
Fujifilm X100S +1 more
cigno82
Like?
In reply to opticaloptimum, Dec 25, 2012

And if it's a lens correction sotware problem....do you think that it can be fixed in a fuji center, or in other ways? Maybe firmware updating?

Now i'll try to see a raw on my Mac, if I won't see this problem in the raw, what do you think?

Update: I tried 2 RAW 2 minutes ago, in this format I don't see the pink row in the corner...Opinions?

JimMc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,857Gear list
Like?

Contact Fuji. Send it back for observation.

JimMc's gear list:JimMc's gear list
Samsung Tab S 8.4
TitusXIII
Regular MemberPosts: 449Gear list
Like?

cigno82 wrote:

(I haven't a converter on my mac now)

Valerio

Try this one, it's free and a good one too:Raw Photo Processor

TitusXIII's gear list:TitusXIII's gear list
Pentax Optio W90 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon PowerShot S110 Ricoh GR Nikon D80 +5 more
cigno82
Like?
In reply to JimMc, Dec 25, 2012

Well, i'll carry it to the authorized fuji reseller when I'll return in Milan, hoping that it won't be a serious problem with long waiting time...

A firmware overwriting (I have the 1.01 from fabric...that is...the last) could be useful to try something?

Suzi Morris
Regular MemberPosts: 153
Like?
In reply to cigno82, Jan 13, 2013

Was there a conclusion?  Did it turn out to be a software bug?  The reason I ask is that although I have had my X-E1 for about 6 weeks now I have noticed this evening the exact same pink line in exactly the same place on many of my shots from this weekend.  Im hoping its a simple fix.

cigno82
Like?
In reply to Suzi Morris, Jan 13, 2013

10 days ago I sent the camera back to fuji assistance...I'm waiting to have it back. Do you have this problem when you take your photos among 27 and 30 mm of your zoom?

Suzi Morris
Like?

Will investigate that this evening and post back, its only random ones in the set of photos I uploaded.  All jpegs, I dont use RAW generally.  Nightmare!

Suzi Morris
Like?

OK, Ive looked through and yes a number of the ones affected are ones taken at 27mm.  However, although most others are ok, there are 2 which have the pink line that were taken at 48mm according to the camera.

Do we think at this time that it is a software bug caused when it performs its lens correction?

I will keep an eye on this thread and my camera for now.  Never noticed this before this weekend, I dont believe it has showed itself before as I noticed it as a glowing pink line as soon as I opened the photos so I believe I would have noticed it if it had happened before.

Please post again when you get your camera back.

Suzi

mmalone
Forum MemberPosts: 69Gear list
Like?

Well what do you know... I have the same issue. Never noticed it until reading this post. As mentioned before, not every image has it. Always seems to be present in skies.

I wonder if all cameras have this issue or only certain batches? Does anyone NOT have this issue?

mmalone's gear list:mmalone's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Epson Stylus Photo R3000 Apple Aperture +1 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Defective Sensor
In reply to mmalone, Jan 13, 2013

mmalone wrote:

Well what do you know... I have the same issue. Never noticed it until reading this post. As mentioned before, not every image has it. Always seems to be present in skies.

I wonder if all cameras have this issue or only certain batches? Does anyone NOT have this issue?

This has all the hallmarks of a sensor with bad pixels.  I would definitely get these cameras back to FUJIFILM so that they can replace them with fully functioning units.

-- hide signature --

DISCLAIMER: The text written herein is meant to provide the opinions and/or suggestions of the author. No statement herein is meant to be considered law of the land, representative of any party or group, and or a quote from any party or group. Neither is any statement in the contained text meant to be taken as scripture, doctrine, or all encompassing of an entire populous or any groups or individuals therein.

rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
iseeu
Contributing MemberPosts: 641Gear list
Like?

Yes I have exactly the same problem except it has a green line, wondering if anybody with X-Pro1 and this lens get the same issue?

iseeu's gear list:iseeu's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +2 more
jmczaja
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?
Re: Defective Sensor
In reply to rattymouse, Jan 13, 2013

rattymouse wrote:

mmalone wrote:

Well what do you know... I have the same issue. Never noticed it until reading this post. As mentioned before, not every image has it. Always seems to be present in skies.

This has all the hallmarks of a sensor with bad pixels. I would definitely get these cameras back to FUJIFILM so that they can replace them with fully functioning units.

Even though the OP didn't notice this with the RAW file?

-jay

jmczaja's gear list:jmczaja's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Defective Sensor
In reply to jmczaja, Jan 13, 2013

jmczaja wrote:

rattymouse wrote:

mmalone wrote:

This has all the hallmarks of a sensor with bad pixels. I would definitely get these cameras back to FUJIFILM so that they can replace them with fully functioning units.

Even though the OP didn't notice this with the RAW file?

-jay

Interesting.  I missed that.  Excellent point.

-- hide signature --

DISCLAIMER: The text written herein is meant to provide the opinions and/or suggestions of the author. No statement herein is meant to be considered law of the land, representative of any party or group, and or a quote from any party or group. Neither is any statement in the contained text meant to be taken as scripture, doctrine, or all encompassing of an entire populous or any groups or individuals therein.

rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
briny
Regular MemberPosts: 272Gear list
Like?
In reply to cigno82, Jan 14, 2013

I just checked a couple of my shots in this range of focal lengths, and I don't have the problem.

MonteCarlo67
Regular MemberPosts: 162Gear list
Like?
In reply to briny, Jan 14, 2013

Interesting. I have the X-Pro 1 and the 18-55mm. After reading this post I tried to duplicate the issue. And what do ya' know, there it is! Just as the original poster said, right around 27-30mm only. Mine is a green line. Only in JPEG's not in RAW. I can only see it at about 200% and it is just that extreme upper left corner. To be honest, had I not read this post I probably never would have noticed it. Seeing that it is in the same spot and at the same lens settings for everyone who seems to be seeing this I am not to concerned with it. In fact its so hard to notice I suspect everyone with this lens is having this issue and they don't even know it. I would have to guess it is a lens firmware issue (possibly related to lens correction as has been mentioned). Worth dropping a note to Fuji about it just to document it. My guess is a firmware update will take care of it. I am pretty sure it is not a sensor issue. For now, I'm not worried about it and don't plan to send it in.

MonteCarlo67's gear list:MonteCarlo67's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads