Any evidence of the 5D3 underexposing in AV and M (flash)?

Started Dec 23, 2012 | Discussions
canon person
Senior MemberPosts: 1,406
Like?
Any evidence of the 5D3 underexposing in AV and M (flash)?
Dec 23, 2012

I find it necessary to add 1/3 or 2/3 additional exposure in both AV and M (flash) mode with my new 5D3.   Anyone else experiencing similar underexposure? Thanks.

Canon Person

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,786Gear list
Like?
Re: Any evidence of the 5D3 underexposing in AV and M (flash)?
In reply to canon person, Dec 23, 2012

canon person wrote:

I find it necessary to add 1/3 or 2/3 additional exposure in both AV and M (flash) mode with my new 5D3.

Av mode  your flash will work as a fill-in flash, in M mode the flash will provide enough light based upon the ISO, shutter speed, and aperture selected.  ISO 400 is a good starting point for M use with flash and possibly 800 since the ISO is so good.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
canon person
Senior MemberPosts: 1,406
Like?
To RedFox:
In reply to RedFox88, Dec 23, 2012

Thank you for your reply.  Perhaps I was unclear.  I meant to say that in AV mode (non-flash) OR if Flash (M mode), I have the issue.  Perhaps that helps.

Thanks again.

Canon Person

Brian de Cambra
Contributing MemberPosts: 512
Like?
In reply to canon person, Dec 23, 2012

Hi Canon Person, yes, I have found that in AV there is a tendancy to underexposed by about a third, however I have not had time to check this out thoroughly. AV is my default mode therefore this is where I have noticed it. I will try to do some more tests later today and get back to you.

-- hide signature --

Brian

Nigel Wilkins
Senior MemberPosts: 1,006
Like?
In reply to Brian de Cambra, Dec 23, 2012

On the 5DII, I found flash exposure to be more accurate if the flash exposure metering was set to average rather than evaluative.  It may be worth a try changing this in the External Speedlite Control settings to see if it results in better metering for your circumstances.

rndman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,590Gear list
Like?
In reply to canon person, Dec 26, 2012

canon person wrote:

I find it necessary to add 1/3 or 2/3 additional exposure in both AV and M (flash) mode with my new 5D3. Anyone else experiencing similar underexposure? Thanks.

Canon Person

I believe I saw experienced this (need more tests to confirm) that in M mode, it underexposes. The AutoISO also does not function very well. It keeps on selecting ISO 400..

rndman's gear list:rndman's gear list
Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 Aspherical Fisheye
The Lazy Photographer
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
In reply to canon person, Dec 26, 2012

canon person wrote:

I find it necessary to add 1/3 or 2/3 additional exposure in both AV and M (flash) mode with my new 5D3. Anyone else experiencing similar underexposure? Thanks.

Canon Person

I'm experiencing the same thing. In some cases I've had to increase my exposure comp. by +1! Really sucks because in doing so my shutter speed drops accordingly (in Av) and I have to up my ISO to recover the shutter speed.

On the T2i the problem was the other way around, which really wasn't a problem at all. I'd have to set my exposure comp. to -1/3 to -2/3 to get proper exposure.

The results, for me, is that I'm having to shoot in low light at ISO 6400 shots that I would have gotten at ISO 3200 or even 1600 on my T2i.

-- hide signature --

Dave
Blog: http://www.lazyphotographer.ca
Gear: Canon 5D Mrk III and 24-105 F4 L Glass
Canon T2i (550D) | Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 VR | Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 wide angle | Canon 55-250mm F3.5-5.6 telephoto

rndman
Like?
In reply to The Lazy Photographer, Dec 27, 2012

The Lazy Photographer wrote:

canon person wrote:

Canon Person

I'm experiencing the same thing. In some cases I've had to increase my exposure comp. by +1! Really sucks because in doing so my shutter speed drops accordingly (in Av) and I have to up my ISO to recover the shutter speed.

On the T2i the problem was the other way around, which really wasn't a problem at all. I'd have to set my exposure comp. to -1/3 to -2/3 to get proper exposure.

The results, for me, is that I'm having to shoot in low light at ISO 6400 shots that I would have gotten at ISO 3200 or even 1600 on my T2i.

-- hide signature --

Dave
Blog: http://www.lazyphotographer.ca
Gear: Canon 5D Mrk III and 24-105 F4 L Glass
Canon T2i (550D) | Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 VR | Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 wide angle | Canon 55-250mm F3.5-5.6 telephoto

I think this is a candidate for FW fix..

motifone
Regular MemberPosts: 109
Like?
In reply to rndman, Dec 28, 2012

I need to test this more myself, but coming from the 5D classic and now shooting on the 5D III (both in manual), I do feel the 5D III captures from manual tend to feel a bit unexposed, compared to my experience on the original 5D -- also confirmed by the histogram.  I need to do some controlled tests shooting the same subject/situation with both the 5D and 5D III to really confirm any discrepancies. My 5D III does not have the light leak problem either.

The previous poster mentioned a FW fix -- is that a firmware fix? Can you clarify?  Mine is using firmware 1.1.3

rndman
Like?
In reply to motifone, Dec 28, 2012

motifone wrote:

I need to test this more myself, but coming from the 5D classic and now shooting on the 5D III (both in manual), I do feel the 5D III captures from manual tend to feel a bit unexposed, compared to my experience on the original 5D -- also confirmed by the histogram. I need to do some controlled tests shooting the same subject/situation with both the 5D and 5D III to really confirm any discrepancies. My 5D III does not have the light leak problem either.

The previous poster mentioned a FW fix -- is that a firmware fix? Can you clarify? Mine is using firmware 1.1.3

I said it is a candidate (for canon to work on) a firmware fix..

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads