Best UV or Clear filters for 70-200 f2.8 IS II ?

Started Dec 22, 2012 | Discussions
Maculosa
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
Best UV or Clear filters for 70-200 f2.8 IS II ?
Dec 22, 2012

Hi,

I'm planning to buy a new Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II along with the Canon 500d close-up lens.

I never bought a filters and i do not know which one i should take. The primary use for the filters is for protecting the lens.

I know those filters can degrade image quality, so i'm looking for a good with minimal image degradation without paying 200$ for the filters. So which one i should take with a good performance / price ratio?

Thanks and sorry for my poor english.

Canon EOS 500D (EOS Rebel T1i / EOS Kiss X3)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OctaneZ
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?
Re: Best UV or Clear filters for 70-200 f2.8 IS II ?
In reply to Maculosa, Dec 22, 2012

Without trying to start a holy or flame war, I stick a B+W Clear UV Haze with Multi-Resistant Coating on the front of all my lenses.

http://www.amazon.com/77mm-Clear-Haze-Multi-Resistant-Coating/dp/B0000BZLBQ/

OctaneZ's gear list:OctaneZ's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DWR0082
Regular MemberPosts: 237
Like?
In reply to OctaneZ, Dec 22, 2012

OctaneZ wrote:

Without trying to start a holy or flame war, I stick a B+W Clear UV Haze with Multi-Resistant Coating on the front of all my lenses.

I can second this. I've been buying the same brand/make and they are worth the extra cost over the cheaper Hoya/Tiffin models IMHO. Easier to clean too.

Hank3152
Forum ProPosts: 12,527Gear list
Like?
B+W MRC
In reply to Maculosa, Dec 22, 2012

I'll also suggest B+W MRC filters as they are worth the extra cost being that they use premium German Schott glass and the mounts are made of brass which minimize binding..............besides being easier to clean than some of the Hoyas which tend to smear......

Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +5 more
amosf
Contributing MemberPosts: 680Gear list
Like?
In reply to Maculosa, Dec 23, 2012

If it was mine I would just get a good Hoya for those times it might be necessary. But I would take it off for shots where protection wasn't needed.

I suppose get a B+W if you want to leave it on all the time for some reason.

amosf's gear list:amosf's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +3 more
9VIII
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?

It seems to me that the B+W filter is nicer. I haven't compared the Hoya HD filters with B+W though, apparently they have similar "easy to clean" coatings and they cost about the same.

http://www.lenstip.com/113.1-article-UV_filters_test.html

I found this helpful.

9VIII's gear list:9VIII's gear list
Canon EOS 1100D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
Maculosa
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
In reply to 9VIII, Dec 23, 2012

Thanks for the answer, so i think i will get the B+W 010M and it's a very well reviewed filter.

But i'm just wondering there is also the B+W Clear 007M filter, but it's 10$ more.

It's strange that is cost more than the UV one (look the same minus the UV protection)

do you think the 007M degrade the image less than 010M ? (even if the image degradation is minimal)

Thanks

Sovern
Contributing MemberPosts: 907
Like?

Maculosa wrote:

Thanks for the answer, so i think i will get the B+W 010M and it's a very well reviewed filter.

But i'm just wondering there is also the B+W Clear 007M filter, but it's 10$ more.

It's strange that is cost more than the UV one (look the same minus the UV protection)

do you think the 007M degrade the image less than 010M ? (even if the image degradation is minimal)

Thanks

Honestly I wouldn't use a filter at all.......no manner how thin the filter is it will degrade your image quality and if your filter gets banged chances are your front element/lens will get damaged too. I've actually seen people damage their front element just screwing on a filter because the metal outside of the filter makes contact with the front element trying to screw it on.

I'd just use a lens hood with the lens and you should be fine.

NerdblurbSteve
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
In reply to DWR0082, Dec 24, 2012

DWR0082 wrote:

OctaneZ wrote:

Without trying to start a holy or flame war, I stick a B+W Clear UV Haze with Multi-Resistant Coating on the front of all my lenses.

I can second this. I've been buying the same brand/make and they are worth the extra cost over the cheaper Hoya/Tiffin models IMHO. Easier to clean too.

Agreed. I have a small pile of Hoya lenses that i tired to make due with before finally breaking down and going with the B+W filters. The Hoya's are pretty good, but such a pain to clean/keep clean. The B+W's are definitely worth the additional cost and the filter rings are noticeably thinner than the Hoya rings in case you're worried about vignetting.

NerdblurbSteve's gear list:NerdblurbSteve's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Michael Fryd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,725
Like?
In reply to Maculosa, Dec 25, 2012

Maculosa wrote:

Hi,

I'm planning to buy a new Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II along with the Canon 500d close-up lens.

I never bought a filters and i do not know which one i should take. The primary use for the filters is for protecting the lens.

I know those filters can degrade image quality, so i'm looking for a good with minimal image degradation without paying 200$ for the filters. So which one i should take with a good performance / price ratio?

Whatever filter you buy, make sure you get a 30 day return option.

Put your camera on a tripod, and take two photos in your normal shooting circumstance, one with the filter and one without.

Layer the two images in photoshop, with the top layer in difference mode.

Anything you see that isn't pure black will be a difference caused by the filter.

Depending on your shooting circumstances, you may see no difference, or a huge difference.  It will depend on the filter you use, your lens, and your shooting circumstances.  Situations where there are light sources in, or near, the field of view are difficult for a filter.  You may see reduced contrast or stereotypical flare.  You should be particularly careful if you shoot outdoors in bright sunlight, in a studio against bright seamless, or when you use a hair/rim light on your model.

The results you see may be very different than the results other photographers see in their work.  Do not base your decision on how someone else's filter affects their work.  Base it on how your filter affects your images.

Once you see the difference your filter makes, you may want to avail yourself of the 30 day return policy.

If you decide to keep the filter, you should be extra careful to always use the lens hood.  This will help minimize any flare or contrast loss caused by the filter.

Filters are far more fragile than the front element of your lens.  When the filter is mounted you need to take extra care to prevent anything from bumping the front of your lens.  A pencil eraser may not hurt your lens, but it can easily destroy your filter.

DWR0082
Regular MemberPosts: 237
Like?
In reply to Michael Fryd, Dec 26, 2012

Michael Fryd wrote:

Maculosa wrote:

Hi,

I know those filters can degrade image quality, so i'm looking for a good with minimal image degradation without paying 200$ for the filters. So which one i should take with a good performance / price ratio?

Filters are far more fragile than the front element of your lens. When the filter is mounted you need to take extra care to prevent anything from bumping the front of your lens. A pencil eraser may not hurt your lens, but it can easily destroy your filter.

The OP asked about filter choices not everyone's doomsday prophecies about why they shouldn't use one. Can't people control themselves?

Michael Fryd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,725
Like?
In reply to DWR0082, Dec 26, 2012

DWR0082 wrote:

Michael Fryd wrote:

Maculosa wrote:

Hi,

Filters are far more fragile than the front element of your lens. When the filter is mounted you need to take extra care to prevent anything from bumping the front of your lens. A pencil eraser may not hurt your lens, but it can easily destroy your filter.

The OP asked about filter choices not everyone's doomsday prophecies about why they shouldn't use one. Can't people control themselves?

I wasn't giving him a doomsday prophecy.

I was merely suggesting that he actually perform a test to see if his filter actually meets his needs in his particular shooting situation.

Recommendations from the web will tell him how specific filters perform for others.  They will not tell him how they will perform in his particular shooting situation.

If you think he should avoid performing a simple test, then make that straight forward suggestion.  Don't attack me.

My assumption is that there is a good chance he will be unhappy with his filter purchase, and therefore he should keep open his options to return it.  I don't know for sure, and I am not in a position to make that determination for him.  I think he make that determination himself.  I am merely giving him some things to consider.

Also, none of us know how much "protection" the OP wants, how much IQ impact he is willing to accept, nor what he considers to be a reasonable price.  None of us are in a position to make the decision for him.

A big issue is that the OP has multiple goals which conflict with one another.

On one hand, he wants to provide physical protection for the front of his lens.  Ideally, this would be a thick piece of plastic (or impact resistant glass) with some sort of rubber shock mount.

Secondly he wants to minimize the impact on image quality.  This generally means a very thin piece of fragile, optically pure glass, with high quality coatings.

Thirdly, he wants to keep cost down.  Generally, this means avoiding the filter entirely as they generally cost more than the value of the provided benefit.

Obviously, It is not possible to meet all of his goals.  A filter is a compromise.  Cheap filters can easily degrade IQ.  A good filter is less likely to affect IQ, but tends to be more fragile, and doesn't provide much physical protection.

I suspect the OP has unrealistic ideas over the amount of physical protection provided by filters and how they affect IQ.  I am suggesting he see for himself, rather than listening to any of us.

andrewsf
Contributing MemberPosts: 532Gear list
Like?
In reply to Michael Fryd, Dec 27, 2012

I think your post was very useful.

andrewsf's gear list:andrewsf's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +1 more
Bloxboy
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to Maculosa, Oct 25, 2013

Maculosa wrote:

Hi,

I'd say a Hoya 77mm UV would be a good bet. They have a very good reputation and are very popular. ProMaster would be fine too but not AS good from what i've seen

CanonGuy1980
Forum MemberPosts: 63
Like?
In reply to Maculosa, 11 months ago

Maculosa wrote:

Hi,

I think you should check out the Hoya 77mm Ultraviolet UV Haze HD (High Density) Digital Filter.

I have been using it for years and its 8 layers of multi-coating and scratch, waterproof, stain resistant and easy to clean. Check out the link below.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ipp=100&atclk=Circular+Sizes_77mm&sts=ma&Ns=p_PRICE_2|1&N=4294955264&Ntt=hoya+HD+UV+filters

Cheers.

salamander1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,010
Like?

why would you want to put something like a filter in front of that beautiful glass, best glass in the world,  for which you paid xxx thousands of dollars except sometimes for  strictly artistic purposes? a hood is all you need for protection. it's the best protection.

foAM
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
tonyjr
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,153Gear list
Like?
In reply to salamander1, 11 months ago

I use filters because I can change a filter faster than you can clean a lens .

Go outside and wipe the inside of your windshield in car . That same stuff gets on the camera lens from just sitting - granted it takes longer but it is there .

I probably go places you don't and things like dew drops , pollen , dust , rain etc don't get on your lens but they do on mine .

tonyjr's gear list:tonyjr's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 400D Canon EF 28-90mm f/4.0-5.6 II Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +14 more
CanonGuy1980
Forum MemberPosts: 63
Like?
In reply to salamander1, 11 months ago

salamander1 wrote:

why would you want to put something like a filter in front of that beautiful glass, best glass in the world, for which you paid xxx thousands of dollars except sometimes for strictly artistic purposes? a hood is all you need for protection. it's the best protection.

The best way to fully weather proof your lens is to put on a High Quality UV filter that does not alter the image in any way. Of course if you put a cheap filter on the front of your expensive lens it will alter your image. But everyone here knows to go with either B+W or Hoya filters.

Mike921
Regular MemberPosts: 284Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sovern, 11 months ago

Sovern wrote:

Maculosa wrote:

Thanks

Honestly I wouldn't use a filter at all.......no manner how thin the filter is it will degrade your image quality and if your filter gets banged chances are your front element/lens will get damaged too. I've actually seen people damage their front element just screwing on a filter because the metal outside of the filter makes contact with the front element trying to screw it on.

I'd just use a lens hood with the lens and you should be fine.

Not so fast - for some lenses, the weather seal is NOT complete without a filter being in place....

Mike921's gear list:Mike921's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot S400 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads