Help deciding which lens combo to keep for D600

Started Dec 21, 2012 | Discussions
mkirshteyn
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
Help deciding which lens combo to keep for D600
Dec 21, 2012

Hi Guys,

I've made the leap to the D600 FX world recently and need help deciding which lens to keep.

The lenses I picked up are the 24-85 kit lens, 50mm 1.8g, and 85mm 1.8g primes.

All 3 serve different purposes, but my wallet begs that I return one of the them...

Which combo would be a smarter choice for the long run? I have a kid on the day so will be doing lots of portaites and outdoors shots and shooting video as well.

A) keep 85mm and 50mm, sell 24-85 on ebay for $400 bucks

B) keep kit lens and 50mm, return the 85mm prime

C) Keep kit lens and 85mm, return the 50mm prime

D) Convince myself that I need all 3, and keep the all

I really like how the 85mm prime makes photos looks super sharp, and I feel like the VR in the kit lens might come in handy...but not sure its worth 400 bucks just so I can get VR.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Nikonfan99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,411Gear list
Like?
Re: Help deciding which lens combo to keep for D600
In reply to mkirshteyn, Dec 21, 2012

I say keep the kit lens and 50 1.8g The reason I say this is that at some point you may be in a tight space like a living room and need to take a group shot and a 50mm may be too tight. You will need the zoom trust me. The 50 is a great lens because it gives you 1.8 for your low light needs yet will also give you some room because the 85 will be too tight in most places. The 24-85 will still give you a good zoom should you need it outside. I have a d600 and the old 85 1.8D and 50 1.8G. The 85 gets the least use. I also just got the tamron 28-75 2.8 lens. It has no VR but is a great lens for the d600 and gives you 2.8 for $499-$25 rebate.

Nikonfan99's gear list:Nikonfan99's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,455
Like?

mkirshteyn wrote:

This is what I would do. What you should do depends on what you shoot, how you shoot, and what you expect out of it.

-- hide signature --
slidewilson
Regular MemberPosts: 134
Like?
In reply to Robin Casady, Dec 21, 2012

Robin Casady wrote:

mkirshteyn wrote:

This is what I would do. What you should do depends on what you shoot, how you shoot, and what you expect out of it.

-- hide signature --

Keep the kit lens for versatility. Aside from that, keep the 85mm. Doesn't the 85mm do everything better than the 50mm for your purposes? Portraits will look great with the 85mm. What's the argument for keeping the 50mm? It's not really wide enough to be worth it, right?

mkirshteyn
Like?
In reply to slidewilson, Dec 21, 2012

I love it.  Basically so far I've heard keep the kit for versatility, 50mm for 1.8 capability, and 85 for portraits.

that's what makes it hard is that all 3 serve their purpose for different type oF shooting.  I have a feeling I would use the 85 more than the 5look for the baby shots.  But for 200 bucks it may ot be worth returning it.

gwenhael appere
Regular MemberPosts: 351Gear list
Like?

Hi,

i'd say kit the 24-85 and 50mm, and sell the 85mm. If you need close-ups you can crop your 50mm...

Good luck with your decision...

Gwen

gwenhael appere's gear list:gwenhael appere's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Willie
Regular MemberPosts: 159
Like?
In reply to mkirshteyn, Dec 22, 2012

mkirshteyn wrote:

That is what I was thinking, too but now I'm not sure if I'd be able to get $400.  Have you seen how many are for sale on e-Bay already?  There will probably be a lot more as a result of the D600 kit deal.

mkirshteyn
Like?
In reply to Willie, Dec 23, 2012

Ha you are right. It may not be worth selling it for less than 400 as its a handy lens for the time being until getting a better one. I will probably just keep all 3.

perthwestaustralia
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
In reply to mkirshteyn, Dec 24, 2012

Keep the 50mm. I found it perfect for baby shots and toddlers. You can get nice and close for close ups.

thedaddyo1973
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?

D.) keep all three

Unless you can return the lens for a full refund, keep all three.  The 24-85 and the 50 are a very good all around shoot anything type of lens kit.  If your around the house or at the park taking pictures of family that 85mm f1.8 lens can deliver outstanding images.

eNo
eNo
Forum ProPosts: 11,732
Like?
Sounds like you need all 3

Find something else to sell?

-- hide signature --

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Home page: http://imagesbyeduardo.com/main/
Seeking the heart and spirit in each image

Swiss L
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
In reply to thedaddyo1973, Dec 24, 2012

I have the same decision to make as we have a baby on the way too...is a 50mm a must (light, fast)or would the 85 1.8G be a better walk around lens as well as a portrait lens (Similar reach as the 50mm on DX), and combine it with a Wide zoom, 16-35mm f4 VR (great for landscapes and not a bad people lens).

I would sell the mid-range zoom (not fast or sharp enough for the little one) and add a wide zoom. When the baby arrives I supect the goodwill to spend on lenses maybe a thing of the past!

mkirshteyn
Like?
In reply to Swiss L, Dec 24, 2012

Right now I find myself using the 50mm and 85mm primes for everything.

for 200 bucks the 50mm seems to do a nice job.  I wish I could flip the kit lens for 500 or so, but ebay has been saturated with the recent promo people selling off their kit lenses for under 400.

I am debating whether its worth selling it, as it could be a good option as the only lens to walk around with when I dont want to take them all with me.

the 85mm is by far my favorite lens of the 3..I am definitely not planning to rid of that one.

Kelly M Jones
Regular MemberPosts: 383
Like?

mkirshteyn wrote:

D) Convince myself that I need all 3, and keep the all

I really like how the 85mm prime makes photos looks super sharp, and I feel like the VR in the kit lens might come in handy...but not sure its worth 400 bucks just so I can get VR.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

For myself, definitely option D. When you need a wide angle, even a kit lens will be greatly appreciated. If push came to shove, I would keep the kit and 85/1.8 or the kit and the 50/1.8. Happy shooting!

-Kelly

puttin
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,829Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kelly M Jones, Dec 24, 2012

Keep all 3, the 24-85 is a good walk-around lens, the 85 is good for portraits and the the 50mm is handy enough and you won't get that much for it.

puttin's gear list:puttin's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Nikon D800 +25 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads