Official: No More 4/3 Bodies (lenses)

Started Dec 20, 2012 | Discussions
whoodle
Regular MemberPosts: 153
Like?
Official: No More 4/3 Bodies (lenses)
Dec 20, 2012

http://www.43rumors.com/olympus-surprise-we-will-do-the-hybrid-ft-and-mft-camera-by-end-2013-no-classic-ft-e-7-camera-anymore/

4/3 Lenses will certainly be usable, but this kind of is the death knell for the format, in that you will probby not see any new lenses manufactured (much less developed) in this mount.

Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,061Gear list
Like?
You do realize,,,
In reply to whoodle, Dec 20, 2012

m43 uses the SAME sensor as 4/3.

To claim the sensor is dead is rubbish

to claim the format is dead is rubbish

And the 4/3 mount will live on for some years at least- they wouldn't go through the trouble if they wanted to abandon 4/3 entirely.

Maybe no new 4/3 lenses, but Oly considered the lineup more or less complete anyway.  I suspect they'll continue to make 4/3 lenses as long as folks will buy them.

Perhaps, though, it's the DSLR that is dead.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DonParrot
Senior MemberPosts: 1,674Gear list
Like?
Re: Official: 4/3 Sensor is DEAD

The mount may be dead, but the sensor is going strong in the µFT cameras and the OBS body that is coming late next year.

-- hide signature --

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/4688736761_6fd06ae5c8_o.jpg
Why not - if there's enough space on the sofa...
I'm a HOlygan

DonParrot's gear list:DonParrot's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +7 more
Braxton7
Contributing MemberPosts: 882Gear list
Like?

Well that would really suck if true. Have to see what it looks like but I can't see me using a mf/t camera. My E-5 should last a long time though. Maybe I'll buy another one if people start unloading them cheap.

Braxton7's gear list:Braxton7's gear list
Olympus E-410 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +7 more
SHood
Senior MemberPosts: 3,904Gear list
Like?

whoodle wrote:

http://www.43rumors.com/olympus-surprise-we-will-do-the-hybrid-ft-and-mft-camera-by-end-2013-no-classic-ft-e-7-camera-anymore/

4/3 Lenses will certainly be usable, but this kind of is the death knell for the format, in that you will probby not see any new lenses manufactured (much less developed) in this mount.

Looks like this hybrid will be the only way to get the latest sensor improvements.

SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
whoodle
Like?
Re: You do realize,,,
In reply to Art_P, Dec 20, 2012

I forgot about that...but honestly, I didn't have the heart to say the MFT SYSTEM is dead...which in many ways, this news signals.

A MFT (mirrorless) camera that can use FT lenses is just a way of keeping people in the brand & giving a nice level of flexibility (and a transitional pathway) to many of you that have lots of FT glass (most of which is better than MFT stuff) but would still like a smaller body and/or the better sensor tech that the MFTs now have.

Art_P wrote:

And the 4/3 mount will live on for some years at least- they wouldn't go through the trouble if they wanted to abandon 4/3 entirely.

Maybe no new 4/3 lenses, but Oly considered the lineup more or less complete anyway. I suspect they'll continue to make 4/3 lenses as long as folks will buy them.

-- hide signature --

Art P
of light and shadow.

revio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,281Gear list
Like?

whoodle wrote:

I forgot about that...but honestly, I didn't have the heart to say the MFT SYSTEM is dead...which in many ways, this news signals.

A MFT (mirrorless) camera that can use FT lenses is just a way of keeping people in the brand & giving a nice level of flexibility (and a transitional pathway) to many of you that have lots of FT glass (most of which is better than MFT stuff) but would still like a smaller body and/or the better sensor tech that the MFTs now have.

Art_P wrote:

Maybe no new 4/3 lenses, but Oly considered the lineup more or less complete anyway. I suspect they'll continue to make 4/3 lenses as long as folks will buy them.

-- hide signature --

Art P
of light and shadow.

And, if that´s so, why then do you say "MFT SYSTEM" is dead? Isn´t it MFT that will keep on, and FT that "may" be dead?

-- hide signature --

Aim & Frame

whoodle
Like?
In reply to revio, Dec 20, 2012

D'OH...that's just a mistake.

I can't seem to edit it, but I don't recall a time-limit on that...am I missing something?

revio wrote:

whoodle wrote:

Art_P wrote:

-- hide signature --

Art P
of light and shadow.

And, if that´s so, why then do you say "MFT SYSTEM" is dead? Isn´t it MFT that will keep on, and FT that "may" be dead?

-- hide signature --

Aim & Frame

revio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,281Gear list
Like?

whoodle wrote:

D'OH...that's just a mistake.

I can't seem to edit it, but I don't recall a time-limit on that...am I missing something?

revio wrote:

whoodle wrote:

Art_P wrote:

-- hide signature --

Art P
of light and shadow.

-- hide signature --

Aim & Frame

OK, I think I get what you did mean, and I´m the first to admit mistyping is far too easy to do...

-- hide signature --

Aim & Frame

herebefore
Senior MemberPosts: 3,282
Like?
Re:Hello Pentax

The K5 and the K30 are still around

-- hide signature --

Larry Lynch
Mystic, Connecticut
Be Careful, sleep can be a symptom of caffeine deprivation
I figured out why I cant lose weight! The only exercise Im good at is CHEWING
Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does
In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.
Oscar Wilde

CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,519
Like?

Note that the article says this camera has been in development since 2009. This is an aspect of camera design I mention regularly in response to those who think that design changes are done in reaction to forum posts and the reaction of a small percentage of customers. People who think that Olympus said "Ok, the E5 is selling well. What should we do next?" don't seem to understand that's not how things work.

Since m4/3 first came out, I've been of the opinion that it was the goal of Olympus from the beginning of their involvement in the 4/3 consortium. Despite the advantages of dslr design, there are plenty of disadvantages as well. So too with mirrorless. However, while the disadvantages of the dslr are pretty much going to remain due to basic physics, the disadvantages of mirrorless will be lessened as technology improves. If a person simply has to have an OVF, well, go with a company that will continue to produce dslrs, but don't complain about Olympus going with what they feel is going to be most profitable. Being in shrinking minority that wants to hang on to 60 year old technology is a choice made by the individual, not the company that has never had a decent market share with that sort of camera and is struggling financially.

Would I have liked to see a "conventional" E7 come out? Perhaps. However, I do think that anyone who is now deciding to abandon Olympus without even knowing the specs of the hybrid camera should definitely jump ship. I say this because if they are the sort to make such a decision based on an announcement of a camera that's a year from release, they will never be satisfied with any system anyway, much less Olympus.

-- hide signature --

Some people operate cameras. Others use them to create images. There is a difference.
http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/
http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

expressivecanvas
Contributing MemberPosts: 756Gear list
Like?
Re:Hello Pentax
In reply to herebefore, Dec 20, 2012

Yes, I think I will be going this Pentax route as well.  Especially considering the new AA-less K-5IIs.  And, I have absolutely no interest in m4/3 for a number of reasons.

With this news I know I am done with Olympus...  there is no sense in delaying the inevitable by wasting more money on more used Olympus gear (I feel I wasted tons of money already on 4/3 gear in recent years and this news confirms it)...  I was waiting for confirmation from Oly one way or the other on future 4/3 bodies and it looks like the confirmation is not what I had hoped.

Goodbye Olympus...   HELLO Pentax!  The wife won't be happy that I need to start buying a complete new system, but I am excited to be stepping up into a much more attractive system...  finally.  The only problem is that I am left wishing I went with Pentax rather than Olympus back when I first bought my E-620.  That was a very costly mistake.

Patrick

herebefore
Senior MemberPosts: 3,282
Like?
In reply to CharlesB58, Dec 20, 2012

CharlesB58 wrote:

definitely jump ship. I say this because if they are the sort to make such a decision based on an announcement of a camera that's a year from release, they will never be satisfied with any system anyway, much less Olympus.
-- hide signature --

Some people operate cameras. Others use them to create images. There is a difference.
http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/
http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

Thats definitely not true Charles..

It just aint so.

There are types of photography that just dont work well (yet) with an EVF, and the problem most likely wont be fixed in a one year time frame.

I've nothing against m43, and I own and use 4 of that type camera.. As a matter of fact I've been using them a lot more than I use my DSLRs for quite a while.

When I get to needing an OVF (and if you dont find yourself needing one from time to time, then you dont understand the NEED).

I have been very satisfied with all of my Olympus and Panasonic 4/3 cameras, and really pleased with the m43 cameras I have..

If Olympus isnt going to make what I want (a new camera, with the new sensor & an ovf) then I will, with regret, buy one from Pentax or Nikon.

-- hide signature --

Larry Lynch
Mystic, Connecticut
Be Careful, sleep can be a symptom of caffeine deprivation
I figured out why I cant lose weight! The only exercise Im good at is CHEWING
Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does
In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.
Oscar Wilde

vadimraskin
Senior MemberPosts: 3,536Gear list
Like?
Well, it is a good news...

whoodle wrote:

4/3 Lenses will certainly be usable, but this kind of is the death knell for the format, in that you will probby not see any new lenses manufactured (much less developed) in this moun

This is encouraging news (if true of course). I was considering getting a used E-5 to upgrade from E-30 and keep all the FT glass but seems that there might be a hope for a new camera out there. I guess my trusted E-30 will get another “lease on life” for a while, not that I complain, it is a great camera to begin with.

vadimraskin's gear list:vadimraskin's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +3 more
Everdog
Senior MemberPosts: 4,837
Like?
Got any HG or SHG lenses?
In reply to expressivecanvas, Dec 20, 2012

expressivecanvas wrote:

Yes, I think I will be going this Pentax route as well. Especially considering the new AA-less K-5IIs. And, I have absolutely no interest in m4/3 for a number of reasons.

With this news I know I am done with Olympus... there is no sense in delaying the inevitable by wasting more money on more used Olympus gear (I feel I wasted tons of money already on 4/3 gear in recent years and this news confirms it)... I was waiting for confirmation from Oly one way or the other on future 4/3 bodies and it looks like the confirmation is not what I had hoped.

Goodbye Olympus... HELLO Pentax! The wife won't be happy that I need to start buying a complete new system, but I am excited to be stepping up into a much more attractive system... finally. The only problem is that I am left wishing I went with Pentax rather than Olympus back when I first bought my E-620. That was a very costly mistake.

Patrick

I am looking forward to people selling their high end Olympus lenses at fire sale prices.

They work great on M43 bodies and when the hybrid comes out next year, they will work even better.

illy
Forum ProPosts: 12,160Gear list
Like?

will it have on sensor PDAF maybe, and use a new adaptor to AF legacy lenses, that's my bet

-- hide signature --

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

illy's gear list:illy's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
mpeman
mpeman MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,855Gear list
Like?

Took care of the title for you!  Editing is not available to you after 5 minutes or so,

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Kevin
--

goblin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,610Gear list
Like?
Re: Official: No More 4/3 Bodies (lenses)

whoodle wrote:

I don't see the logic in this.

If anything, the release of a hybrid body able to work correctly with 4/3 lenses would give a new push to 4/3 lenses. Including development of new ones, as users of that hypothetical camera will demand better lenses such as the 4/3 ones.

goblin's gear list:goblin's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-400 +31 more
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,016
Like?
useful moderation

whoodle wrote:

I think this is a very good example of useful Moderator intervention.

* the OP wanted to start a valid discussion, but picked a wrong/overstated/exaggerated/flame-baiting subject title. (You can still see it in some of the replies that kept the subject line.)

* the moderator intervened and fixed the title, steering the thread in the right direction.

-- hide signature --

/Roel Hendrickx/
lots of *images*: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field *report* from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,061Gear list
Like?
Thank you
In reply to mpeman, Dec 20, 2012

the OP makes more sense w the corrected heading.

-- hide signature --

Art P
of light and shadow.

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads