5D, 6D vs 7D; what do you get for the extra money?

Started Dec 20, 2012 | Discussions
tom trinko
Regular MemberPosts: 449
Like?
5D, 6D vs 7D; what do you get for the extra money?
Dec 20, 2012

I've got a 7D and I use it for mostly outdoor nature photography.  I take a lot of pictures but I don't make money from them so the price for even the 6D is a bit of a barrier.  I was wondering if you folks who have 5Ds and 6Ds could comment on what added benefit those cameras could provide for nature photography.
The better low light capability would obviously be good but how much better is it than the 7D at ISO 800?
Also I've got Sigma lenses , I use the Sigma 50-500 most of the time, and I'm wondering if those less expensive lens get too bad when used with a full frame sensor.
Thanks for any information and I hope everyone  has a healthy, happy, Holy Christmas!

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
grammieb14
Senior MemberPosts: 2,044Gear list
Like?
Re: 5D, 6D vs 7D; what do you get for the extra money?
In reply to tom trinko, Dec 20, 2012

I have had a 7D for a long time.  I recently purchased a 5Dlll.  The image quality & lack of nasty noise at high iso is much better with the 5Dlll.  I am not qualified to comment on the Sigma 50-500, as I have never owned it, but the 5D makes the best of the lenses I do own & as pleased as I have been with the 7D, the 5Dlll is really the most pleasing all around camera I have ever had.  Of course l like all types of photography & depending on what is needed, some may be just as happy with a smaller sensor or an af system that isn't quite as quick.  Bab

grammieb14's gear list:grammieb14's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Miguel Rodríguez
New MemberPosts: 20Gear list
Like?
Re: 5D, 6D vs 7D; what do you get for the extra money?
In reply to grammieb14, Dec 20, 2012

I used to own a 7D, it is a great camera, but overpriced, 60d would be a better deal. Now I own a 5d mk2, there is no comparison in terms of IQ and for me AF speed and fps are not important... Now if yoy shot sports 7d is the way to go. just the ISO performance of the 7d (and any crop sensor camera) is really bad compared with FF. for what I can see you are shooting, get rid of the crapy lens, get a t3i or the superv t4i and a good lens, maybe 70-300 IS USM or a 70-200 f4L is with a kenko teleconverter,  much bang for the buck...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads