Good software to find duplicate/matching images: Visual Similarity Duplicate Image Finder

Started Dec 20, 2012 | Discussions
cyrano
Contributing MemberPosts: 874
Like?
Good software to find duplicate/matching images: Visual Similarity Duplicate Image Finder
Dec 20, 2012

I often need to determine if a given image is one of mine. This can be a very time-consuming task if the image has been stripped of its original file name and embedded metadata, as is often the case for images posted on blogs and social media sites.

I found a good solution in Visual Similarity Duplicate Image Finder:
http://www.mindgems.com/products/VS-Duplicate-Image-Finder/VSDIF-About.htm

As the name implies, this application searches for duplicate or similar images not by file name or metadata, but by visual similarity. It's like Google Image Search, but running on your own desktop, searching your own files.

I've been quite pleased by its performance, and it's very inexpensive.

starfire990
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Re: Good software to find duplicate/matching images: Visual Similarity Duplicate Image Finder
In reply to cyrano, Dec 21, 2012

The best ever software I have used for managing my photos is duplicate photo cleaner www.duplicatephotocleaner.com It pulls up all the photos in my folders that are similar not just the exact duplicates. I can view them side by side and decide which (if not both) to keep. Don't take my word for it, give it a try yourself, they have a free trial. This software has saved me over 4 gigs of space and counting.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
maxic9
Like?
Re: Good software to find duplicate/matching images: Visual Similarity Duplicate Image Finder
In reply to starfire990, Mar 30, 2013

starfire990 wrote:

The best ever software I have used for managing my photos is duplicate photo cleaner www.duplicatephotocleaner.com It pulls up all the photos in my folders that are similar not just the exact duplicates. I can view them side by side and decide which (if not both) to keep. Don't take my word for it, give it a try yourself, they have a free trial. This software has saved me over 4 gigs of space and counting.

I can suggest Image Comparer for finding and removing the duplicates. The benefits are:

- it can detect flipped or rotated duplicates

- supports RAW formats (great when you store your photos in both RAW and JPEG formats and finally decided to stay with only one of them)

- it detects resized duplicates with very high precision

filibuster
Senior MemberPosts: 2,710
Like?
In reply to maxic9, Mar 30, 2013

This one works for me; and it's free. As well as matching duplicates, it also gives a percentage rating for shots that are extremely similar.

http://www.duplicate-finder.com/photo.html

-- hide signature --

Quote hhgttg: Life is wasted on the living.
filibuster (Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, UK)
http://picasaweb.google.com/scenic.filibuster

daylight903
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to cyrano, Apr 9, 2013

cyrano wrote:

I often need to determine if a given image is one of mine. This can be a very time-consuming task if the image has been stripped of its original file name and embedded metadata, as is often the case for images posted on blogs and social media sites.

As the name implies, this application searches for duplicate or similar images not by file name or metadata, but by visual similarity. It's like Google Image Search, but running on your own desktop, searching your own files.

Indeed VSDIF is the best tool that I managed to find too. It provides the best results and can handle large libraries - 100 000+ files.

Latest cache system is incredibly fast.

markbun02
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to cyrano, Jun 21, 2013

An alternative tool that I've been using is "DuplicateFilesDeleter" Its best in finding and deleting duplicate photos, music and files.

SarahWilliams
Like?
In reply to cyrano, 4 months ago

cyrano wrote:

Thank you so much! You made my day! The web is so spammed with crappy tools that it is hard to find such "gems" indeed. I see the idiots have spammed your thread with their crap too.

This tool is amazing indeed and besides the RAW support it supports Photoshop PSD files too and xmp sidecar files.

Great recommendation indeed.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads