Olympus XZ-2, Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 or Sony RX100?

Started Dec 19, 2012 | Discussions
Jerra
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?
Olympus XZ-2, Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 or Sony RX100?
Dec 19, 2012

Just read this review and I'm still not sure which camera to purchase:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/12/18/enthusiast-zoom-compact-roundup

Just tell me if you had the chance to compare these cameras yourself or what you (dis-)liked in general, e.g. which type of user should choose what camera.

Tahnks

Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Chris R-UK
Forum ProPosts: 12,637Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus XZ-2, Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 or Sony RX100?
In reply to Jerra, Dec 19, 2012

The Conclusions page of the review pretty well sums it up.

I suggest that you decide which of the three groups you fall into (small size/zoom range/general purpose) and them go into a camera store and try them out for yourself.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jerra
Like?
In reply to Chris R-UK, Dec 19, 2012

"Much as we like the Panasonic LX7, the longer lens, excellent JPEGs and engaging user interface make the XZ-2 stand out for us. The XZ-2 is one of the nicest cameras in this group to use, featuring extensive customization inherited from Olympus's PEN-series interchangeable lens cameras. This is a serious enthusiast camera and easily one of the best of its type that we've encountered. Really the Olympus's strongest competition comes from the Sony RX100 - which at least matches it for image quality but doesn't quite offer the sense of engagement that we appreciate in the XZ-2's operational ergonomics."

I would like a RX100-sensor with XZ-2 ergonomics

I'm not sure how to compare the LX7 in relation to the XZ-2 ...

Jerra
Like?

May anyone just please contribute anything else to the topic?

Richard Butler
dpreview AdminPosts: 2,016
Like?

The LX7 and XZ-2 are both very nice, but I enjoyed using the XZ-2 more and the JPEG engine is rather better at producing pleasingly coloured images, for my tastes.

The LX7 is cheaper, but the XZ-2 is worth it if you can stretch (we have to assume it'll drop in price).

Richard - dpreview.com

earful
Senior MemberPosts: 1,115
Like?
In reply to Jerra, Dec 20, 2012

i have an rx100 and it's really a marvel in its own way. but i wouldn't mind trying the xz-2 - i believe it has a slightly longer reach and a brighter lens, but the rx100 has the advantage of a larger sensor. it might depend on your usage as to which is better for you.

Jim Marshall4057
Regular MemberPosts: 138Gear list
Like?
In reply to earful, Dec 20, 2012

I'm in a similar position-mulling over either the XZ2 or the RX100. The alleged superior Sony sensor is an attraction but from the DPR studio results, there is not a lot in it.

My 2p: If you routinely do giant prints or are a dedicated pixel peeper then the Sony may swing it ( but bear in mind the possible soft corners with the Sony lens)

If you need a pocket cam, then the Sony is streets ahead.

If you need the best all rounder, and value the flip up screen, hotshoe and add on EVF, the Oly wins.

Eddaweaver
Senior MemberPosts: 2,227
Like?
In reply to Jerra, Dec 20, 2012

Take a look at some pictures they produce

http://www.flickr.com/groups/rx100/pool/

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1564797@N25/pool/

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1915414@N21/pool/

People have been able to buy the LX7 for alot cheaper than the other two.

It may sound counter-intuitive but the RX100 is alot smaller and lighter than the other two.

The Olympus E-PM2's body (excluding lens) is smaller and and lighter than the LX7 and XZ-2. So it may be worth considering if you're not specifically after something pocketable.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/2075497@N25/pool/

The RX100 has a 3:2 aspect ratio sensor while other cameras discussed are 4:3. That may be an influence on you if you like to do prints.

Jerra
Like?
In reply to Jerra, Dec 21, 2012

I think I'm droping the RX100 and will decide between the XZ-2 and LX7.

XZ-2:
+Tilting touch-screen
+Better user-interface
+Longer lens

LX7:
+Brighter lens
+Wider lens
+Maximum shutter speed

I just can't decide.

Cy Cheze
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028
Like?

One could look forever at the cameras and, from the sole vantage of specifications, remain undecided.  Might pricing be a factor to consider?

All three cameras (and the S110) are good cameras.  The RX100 is pocketable, but the price eats a hole in that pocket.  Have any German retailers offered discount prices?  In the US, the LX7 has been cut to $299, intermittently.  That is an inducement sufficient to offset the other competing distinctions.  For less than half the price of an RX100, one gets a very good coat pocket camera, capable of some tricks the others lack: time lapse and 720 120p video.

In some markets, the 1" Nikon and certain m4/3 devices are also offered at rather low prices.

Sometimes low prices are a warning, rather than an attraction.  Not in this case.

Jerra
Like?
In reply to Cy Cheze, Dec 21, 2012

Sadly there is no discounted offer available in Germany, but apart from that I just want to know which advantages of each camera are more likely to be usefull.

Cy Cheze wrote:

One could look forever at the cameras and, from the sole vantage of specifications, remain undecided. Might pricing be a factor to consider?

All three cameras (and the S110) are good cameras. The RX100 is pocketable, but the price eats a hole in that pocket. Have any German retailers offered discount prices? In the US, the LX7 has been cut to $299, intermittently. That is an inducement sufficient to offset the other competing distinctions. For less than half the price of an RX100, one gets a very good coat pocket camera, capable of some tricks the others lack: time lapse and 720 120p video.

In some markets, the 1" Nikon and certain m4/3 devices are also offered at rather low prices.

Sometimes low prices are a warning, rather than an attraction. Not in this case.

ryder78
Contributing MemberPosts: 546
Like?

Jerra wrote:

Just tell me if you had the chance to compare these cameras yourself or what you (dis-)liked in general, e.g. which type of user should choose what camera.

Tahnks

The review has pretty much summed up everything nicely.

I guess the choice will be dependent on the user's preferences and criteria which will vary with individuals. Since you've asked, if it was me I would have probably gone with the RX100 for its larger sensor, better low light performance. Olympux XZ-2 would be my 2nd choice(I do not like the looks of the LX7, which is something personal). In the end, all are good capable cameras.

Good luck.

Jerra
Like?
In reply to ryder78, Dec 21, 2012

Question is if someone needs these features:

XZ-2:
+Tilting touch-screen
+Better user-interface
+Longer lens

LX7:
+Brighter lens
+Wider lens
+Maximum shutter speed

Is the user-interface worth it or the brighter lens? etcpp

ryder78 wrote:

Jerra wrote:

Tahnks

The review has pretty much summed up everything nicely.

I guess the choice will be dependent on the user's preferences and criteria which will vary with individuals. Since you've asked, if it was me I would have probably gone with the RX100 for its larger sensor, better low light performance. Olympux XZ-2 would be my 2nd choice(I do not like the looks of the LX7, which is something personal). In the end, all are good capable cameras.

Good luck.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads