A37 discontinued!!!

Started Dec 19, 2012 | Discussions
bruschini
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
A37 discontinued!!!
Dec 19, 2012
Sony SLT-A37
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
bigchiefally
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
Re: A37 discontinued!!!
In reply to bruschini, Dec 19, 2012

Could explain why the price for the a37 has been plummeting.

I just bought one for £280 which is over £150 less than when it came out 6 months or so.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
photo chris
Regular MemberPosts: 281
Like?

After changing the hotshoe on the A99 and Nex6 the writing was on the wall, the A37/57/65/77 and Nex7 will get a refresh soon.

dsiu0001
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?

I just got mine with SAL18135

TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,458
Like?
In reply to dsiu0001, Dec 19, 2012

dsiu0001 wrote:

No need for a sad face if the price was right to you and it meets your expectations for the money paid.

There's always going to be that new kid on the block sooner or later, especially with entry level cameras that get replaced within the year for most brands. By the time the A37 replacement arrives, you've no doubt already shot some pictures that you wouldn't have wanted to miss waiting for whatever is next.

My own replacement rate is extremely low in the current age of throwaway electronics too. I rather spend the money on traveling etc. and seeking opportunities to shoot while the old A500 still does what I expect it to do. I was even offered an A77 as a gift at one point. Great camera, but while I love talking about the latest developments, technologies and advancements in digital cameras, I said that she was free to use the money on her own hobies instead and maybe come back when my A500 refuses to click any further.

G6u7a1m
Contributing MemberPosts: 552Gear list
Like?
I agree
In reply to TrojMacReady, Dec 19, 2012

My A33 has been discontinued for a long time now and I still love shooting with it, even though I replaced it with the A77. I will gladly say it has given me great joy using it and the moments that it has captured can never be replaced not even by the A77.

G6u7a1m's gear list:G6u7a1m's gear list
Sony SLT-A33 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +5 more
Shield3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,440Gear list
Like?
Re: I agree
In reply to G6u7a1m, Dec 19, 2012

I think the shock for most people is this - that camera debuted what, April 2012?  So in 8 months it goes from "just released" to "discontinued".

Shield3's gear list:Shield3's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2 more
G6u7a1m
Contributing MemberPosts: 552Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shield3, Dec 19, 2012

yea that's really depressing for most. I think most people want the latest and greatest even though the latest may very well have it's flaws. I for one think the high ISO on the A77 is nothing compared to the A33, but don't get me wrong the performance of the A77 will never be matched by the A33.

G6u7a1m's gear list:G6u7a1m's gear list
Sony SLT-A33 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +5 more
TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,458
Like?
Hardly a shock based on history
In reply to Shield3, Dec 19, 2012

Shield3 wrote:

I think the shock for most people is this - that camera debuted what, April 2012? So in 8 months it goes from "just released" to "discontinued".

The A35 was introduced in june 2011 and first noted as "discontinued" in february 2012.

BertIverson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,980Gear list
Like?
TrojMacReady -- Re: Camera upgrade intervals ...

TrojMacReady wrote:

... maybe come back when my A500 refuses to click any further.

Exactly how I feel about my A700. However, I did sell a couple of lenses to add the RX100
Cheers,
Bert

BertIverson's gear list:BertIverson's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +3 more
Shield3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,440Gear list
Like?
Re: Hardly a shock based on history

TrojMacReady wrote:

Shield3 wrote:

I think the shock for most people is this - that camera debuted what, April 2012? So in 8 months it goes from "just released" to "discontinued".

The A35 was introduced in june 2011 and first noted as "discontinued" in february 2012.

I think that's part of Sony's problem - too darn many models, and too many being introduced right after each other.

I can't, off the top of my head, tell you the exact difference between the NEX 5N / 5R / 6.  Or exactly between the VG-20 / VG-30.  They do the same thing with their camcorder line.

Shield3's gear list:Shield3's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2 more
falconsusi
Contributing MemberPosts: 553
Like?
In reply to dsiu0001, Dec 19, 2012

Yup.  Mine just came in the mail yesterday.  I love it already.  I also have an a57.

I am not concerned about the a37 being discontinued.  It happens.  I have already owned the a100, a700, a580.  I was still able to resell each of these cameras for good prices.  My plan with the a37 is as a backup camera.  Of course right now I am going to enjoying playing with it as it is the new camera in my bag.  The a37 is a keeper!

-- hide signature --
Ronald A Yorko
Contributing MemberPosts: 574Gear list
Like?
Still available.
In reply to falconsusi, Dec 20, 2012

B&H still has them. Kit with 18-135 for $598 & 2 $25 B&H gift cards.  Kit with 18-55 $498.

I hated to pay more for the A57, but I wanted the articulating lcd.

Maybe a new product line soon, maybe not, but compared to Nikon and Canon models, the A37 was an exceptional deal.  Wonder if Sony just didn't have a big enough profit margin on these.

Ronald A Yorko's gear list:Ronald A Yorko's gear list
DxO Optics Pro Standard
Draek
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028Gear list
Like?
In reply to bruschini, Dec 20, 2012

Hardly surprising; Sony has been discontinuing their entry-level models and replacing them with barely-updated models for a long time now. It's not a bad practice so long as you behave like a sane customer: no matter when you buy your camera you get relatively cutting-edge technology, which in turn allows you to upgrade at your own pace instead of trying to fit your schedule to the manufacturer's---just look at how A700 or D700 owners were reacting before the A77 and D800 were respectively announced. It also allows you to test certain features you might want to integrate into your main lines, like the A380's grip or the A35's wide LCD, since worst case scenario you simply go back to the old design for the next model.

Main problem is, of course, customers who do not behave sanely, and insist on upgrading to the latest shiny toy just to stay on the bleeding edge---between MSRP and eBay prices, it doesn't take long until a pro-grade camera makes sense just to avoid bleeding money out of every pore.

Personally, I'm loving it: barring user-hostile experiments like the A380's grip, I'll probably be first on line to buy an eventual A39. Given that I'd be upgrading from an A390, I figure it's not wholly undeserved, and if it doesturn out to be a stinker, I figure I can just buy an A37 at a nice discount. Or wait for another half a year for the A3B

Draek's gear list:Draek's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot A1200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390
clockwork247
Regular MemberPosts: 366Gear list
Like?
In reply to dsiu0001, Dec 20, 2012

dsiu0001 wrote:

just got mine today too, combo + 16gb card and a crappy bag for 520 USD shipped... better than my A330 for sure.

clockwork247's gear list:clockwork247's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Nikon D70s Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony SLT-A37 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +6 more
Puss in Books
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?

I was told by the Sony store back in September when I purchased my a37 that is was going to be discontinued.  The reason given was that the small-body DSLR market was shrinking because of the NEX.

Puss in Books's gear list:Puss in Books's gear list
Sony SLT-A37 Sony a6000 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +4 more
Ronald A Yorko
Contributing MemberPosts: 574Gear list
Like?
Re: A37 discontinued!!! What's next?

Really don't consider the A37 a small camera.  Since almost identical to the A57, and not as long in the tooth as the A65 & A77, I wonder what the future holds for Sony dslr's?  One or two models only?

Ronald A Yorko's gear list:Ronald A Yorko's gear list
DxO Optics Pro Standard
FreeRadical009
Regular MemberPosts: 331
Like?

Sony carries on with its disturbing attitude of replacing camera models every 15 minutes. Unless they are going to change the sensor and add some features, this is just an excuse to refresh the line to add the damn hot shoe.

Quite frankly I don't see the point in this. They are going to replace the A77 soon as well? I just ordered one for heaven's sake! I remember that I bought my A700 1 year after its release and I bought the A77 a year after its release as well. The damn hot shoe can certainly wait. The only flash compatible with it is the F60 and there are only 3 cameras compatible with it, two of them cost $2800 (A99 and RX1) and the other one less than that, but it's not a DSLR (NEX-6).

4 if you want to count the VG-900, but that's a video camera, not a photography one.

Lest we forget, the pretty thing costs $550, I doubt everyone here has that just laying around. On the other hand, there is the 3600/5600/36/56/42/58/43/20 series of compatible Sony and Minolta flashes available right now. That's 8 compatible flashes that work with 24 DSLRs (both Sony and Minolta's, not counting compatible SLRs) against 1 new model that only works with three cameras.

Sony should just give it a few more years to the Minolta shoe and release flashes compatible with the new (old) one. After all, if it's the damn ISO hot shoe, there are a plethora for flashes compatible already.

In the end, I blame the people who demanded video in a DSLR only to end up bitching about the image quality of it when compared against proper video professional cameras. Thanks to those people, we the photographers, lost the accessory shoe we have grown used to and have compatible flashes for in order to please a crowd that can't be pleased and should have just bought a proper video camera in the first place.

Sony listened to them and here we are now. They pulled the exact same crap with the whole Atrac3plus against Mp3 issue; when they finally figured the format out properly and offered a stable version of the converting/sending to device software, they dropped it overnight in order to favor mp3.

If Sony is going to replace the A77 soon, they better damn well make it the A99 with an APS-C sensor; has to have the same depth awareness funcion and the focus limit function, along the other perks. Otherwise, I won't bother. I bought the 77 now because of the discount with the lens kit that it currently has, which allowed me to buy the vertical grip, the lcd covers, the belt grip and a 95MBs/s card for the same price that it would have costed me just the kit 2 months ago.

If video is so important to Sony, they should have done what Canon did, release a proper video camera in a DSLR-ish body for those people who want video in such a package. That way they could have left the photography division alone.

It does tick me off that when everyone else caved in and started developing accesories for the Minolta shoe, Sony says: "You know what guys? Let's back it up and go the ISO road instead".

For those of you who want the list of the 24 DSLRs I mentioned, here it is:

Minolta:

7D/5D

Sony:

A100/200/230/290/300/330/350/380/390/450/500/550/700/850/900

A33/35/37/55/57/65/77

Mellowmark
Contributing MemberPosts: 515Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shield3, Dec 21, 2012

Shield3 wrote:

By the time the replacement actually comes out (as in on sale) it will be around March/April 2013 - so around a year after the A37 was released.  A year is pretty standard for many of the more entry level cameras these days.

Other cameras I own or have owned (G3, E-PL3, Nex 5) were all replaced by new models around a year after going on sale (G5, E-Pl5, Nex 5n and then 5R).  My A37 was around £240 body only (or £220 if /when I sell the free case it came with) which as pointed out above is a bargain compared to the release price.

Bodies devalue so quickly and are replaced with newer models so quickly that it makes a lot of sense to only buy end of line models just before the replacement comes out and stock is cleared.  I might even pick up an A57 if they go cheap enough when the replacement is announced. 

Think about the early adopters who picked up the Nikon 1 V1 for over £800 when it came out just over a year ago - you can get them now for a third of that price - £279 as stock is cleared to make way for the V2.

Mellowmark's gear list:Mellowmark's gear list
Sony RX100
Todd3608
Contributing MemberPosts: 725
Like?
In reply to bruschini, Dec 21, 2012

I would grab one now if you want one.  I just bought the A37 with 18-135 at adorama for 597.  It came with a 50.00 gift certificate, cheap case and 16GB Sony Class 10 SD Card (2% adorama rewards and 3% cashback also).  I also got the free extra year warranty for being in their new VIP program.

I already have an A57 that I bought when it first came out.  But, I really want the 18-135 lens.  The A37 with lens is not not much more than the lens itself.  It never hurts to have a backup!  Plus we had a pretty bad house fire earlier this year.  Somehow my A57 and lenses survived.  I had them in a very nice Domke bag and it protected everything really well it seems.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads