Some shots from the Voigtländer 17.5

Started Dec 18, 2012 | Discussions
oysteinvidnes
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Some shots from the Voigtländer 17.5
Dec 18, 2012

I've been reading these forums since I bought an OM-D and a few lenses in May. I don't take photos for a living, just for fun, and I've enjoyed the camera immensely. The lens I've used the most is perhaps actually the Voigtländer Nokton 17.5 f/0.95. It just has a very unique look, and is very versatile: quite sharp and with a unique "look" wide open, amazing low light performance (of course), an almost non-existent near focus limit, and very sharp when stopped down for landscapes.

Some of these pictures has been taken wide open with an ND-filter, some not. Shot raw, processed with Lightroom.

A Traveller [flickr]

One of the comments on my pictures asked wether I thought this lens was worth buying, despite its size. What I said, in short: I've never had a lens that I have enjoyed so much using. I've become fan of the 35mm eq. focal length and I keep being amazed by this lens - and the camera. You will probably get similar results from an excellent f1.9-lens on a full frame camera or an excellent f1.4-lens on an APS-C-camera. The Sony RX1 compact is actually an alternative (the camera weighs 60 g less than the voigtländer lens alone), but it's very expensive. A Nikon 600D with a Nikon 35 mm f2.0 weighs 920 g, which is about the same as an OM-D with the Voigtländer 17.5. But when taking into account that you need a few lenses in your bag, micro four thirds still makes a lot of sense. But most importantly: ... is fun and visually satisfying.

There's Always a Way In 

Withered Hip [flickr]

Waiting For the Bus (Ålesund) [flickr]

Løfsebaking [flickr]

Lundebotn [flickr]

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes [flickr]

Summer Hat (Lisbon) [flickr]

Halle (Saale)

Walking in Dreams [flickr]

Happiness Multiplied [flickr]

Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dgnelson
Contributing MemberPosts: 660
Like?
Re: Some shots from the Voigtländer 17.5
In reply to oysteinvidnes, Dec 18, 2012

Fantastic images!

Dan

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PaulChapman
Contributing MemberPosts: 929Gear list
Like?
It depends on the eye as well as the lens

and you are making best use of both....I have the 25mm Voigtlander and absolutely love it. The manual process makes you think much more (brain/eye co-ordination) and the result is so much more satisfying. My combination (GF1/25mm) led me down the route to manual FF (M9/Summilux')....I really love the 35mm lux on the M9....but if I had waited for the 35mm Voigt then I may not have bothered. Great images though....

PaulChapman's gear list:PaulChapman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Leica M9-P Leica M Typ 240 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 Asph +7 more
cameron2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,080Gear list
Like?

Honestly, very nicely done. While I believe the lens to be very good, the lens does not make the picture -- at least not on its own

cameron2's gear list:cameron2's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +16 more
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,626Gear list
Like?

Lovely shots. The Voigtlander 17.5mm is a very special lens capable of amazing image quality and you've used it to great effect here. I had always felt it slightly overwhelmed my E-M5 but that isn't the case with my GH3. I have some plans to shoot some video with it (we'll see if that materialises!).

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
since1968
Contributing MemberPosts: 565Gear list
Like?

Lovely shots! I especially like these two, but they are all great:

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes [flickr]

There's Always a Way In 

The Sony RX1 compact is actually an alternative (the camera weighs 60 g less than the voigtländer lens alone).

I ended up getting the RX1 for this very reason. The Voigtlander was fun to shoot with but not so much fun to carry all day! Looks like you did not experience the same limitation and are getting great results from this lens.

Thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --
 since1968's gear list:since1968's gear list
Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +1 more
spacenegroes
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Like?

amazing shots. have you tried not dialing back the highlights so much in "smoke gets in your eyes" and "a traveler"? if you let the sun and the candle flame clip a little, maybe the light/shadow regions of the faces would benefit.

number_6
Regular MemberPosts: 104Gear list
Like?

These are fantastic shots!  Thanks for sharing.  That lens is already on my wishlist.

number_6's gear list:number_6's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +4 more
ebrandon
Regular MemberPosts: 448Gear list
Like?

Excellent photographs, really enjoyed them.

Unfortunately, some of them show up as not-available, bandwidth limits exceeded?

I also have the Voigtlander 17.5mm and it's one of the lenses that "make" the m43 system for me.  It seems there are a few special lenses in each camera system that are so good and unusual that one needs to keep a body in that system just to use those lenses.  In m43 it's the 17.5mm, and 75mm for me.

ebrandon's gear list:ebrandon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Nikon D600 Canon EOS 6D +2 more
oysteinvidnes
Like?

Thanks everybody!

The lens (or camera) don't take the pictures, I happily agree.

@spacenegroes: Critique is welcome! I certainly want to avoid flat looking pictures where the highlights and shadows are pushed too hard. I will have a another look at them. When it comes to "Smoke..." I was at the stage where I was fascinated with just how much highlight/shadow detail can be recovered in the raw files of the E-M5 with Lightroom, and quite gracefully too. And detail is addictive. I was probably overdoing it. "A Traveller" isn't pushed as hard, the sunshine there is weaker than it may seem. But I see what you are getting at.

@since1968: The RX1 certainly is tempting for its weight and size. But for me it's too expensive right now, and the E-M5/Voight-combo does have a couple of advantages of its own, the aperture and stabilization mean better low light perfomance, and it has a viewfinder. And with the battery grip I think it handles very well.

oysteinvidnes
Like?
In reply to ebrandon, Dec 18, 2012

About the unavailable pics: I might have done something wrong when I put them in, but they show up when you click on them (or so they should).

I started fixing them, one by one, to see if they showed up, but didn't know I could only edit my post twice.

RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,556
Like?
Love thse shots

Just when I thought I was cured of my Voigtlander lens lust, along come these, and the lust is back with a vengeance...

-- hide signature --

/Roel Hendrickx/
lots of *images*: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field *report* from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

oysteinvidnes
Like?

Strangely the two missing shots stopped appearing when clicked on, so I post them again here:

Walking In Dreams [flickr]

There's Always a Way In [flickr]

OMaster Dee
Forum MemberPosts: 92
Like?
Re: Love thse shots
In reply to RoelHendrickx, Dec 18, 2012

Nice photos! I had already been flirting with the idea of buying this lens and had seen your photos before on Flickr. But i think i'm gonna stay reasonable and not get it as i already have a Fuji X100 which gives me the equivalent of the 17.5mm at F1.4. Or do you think the difference between F0.95 and F1.4 is really significant DoF-wise?

oysteinvidnes
Like?
Re: Love thse shots
In reply to OMaster Dee, Dec 18, 2012

OMaster Dee:  I would say "sometimes, mostly not". If you are going for really shallow depth of field you are better off with a bit longer focal length, or see to it that you always get in really close. Whether the difference between F0.95 and F1.4 on for this focal length really makes a difference depends on your priorities, of course. Many of my shots would probably have been a lot better technically with a deeper depth of field. I am addicted to the appearance of depth than can be achieved here, but the most important thing, I confess, is to work within the limitations you have. There's always even shallower DOF to be had from a more expensive and/or heavier kit.

sbszine
Regular MemberPosts: 454Gear list
Like?
ND filter

Can you tell us which ND filter you used with which shot?

sbszine's gear list:sbszine's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more
faith_ps
Senior MemberPosts: 1,102Gear list
Like?

Amazing pics you got there. The 1st one is so powerful. All the power of the lens and your intuition to shoot is reflected in that shot.

Jakop

-- hide signature --

The saxophone is a very interesting machine, but I'm more interested in music.
Steve Lacy quotes

faith_ps's gear list:faith_ps's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP3 Merrill Leica X Vario Olympus Stylus 1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II +17 more
mapgraphs
Regular MemberPosts: 394Gear list
Like?
Re: +1
In reply to faith_ps, Dec 19, 2012

faith_ps wrote:

Amazing pics you got there. The 1st one is so powerful. All the power of the lens and your intuition to shoot is reflected in that shot.

Jakop

-- hide signature --

The saxophone is a very interesting machine, but I'm more interested in music.
Steve Lacy quotes

+17.5

Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,883Gear list
Like?
In reply to oysteinvidnes, Dec 19, 2012

I quite enjoyed reading your impressions of the lens. I was nervous at the layout it took to acquire one, but almost immediately putting some light through it I knew it wasn't a mistake. I love its imperfections that impart it's own character wider open, and its construction also makes it a pleasant experience to handle.  And what it and the OM-D can do in the dark is nothing if not empowering.

I'm not sure I find all the images appropriate for this FOV, though there's a lot to like here - but the first just blows me away. Can't quite describe why it's so engrossing. And it's more than a fortunate opportunity, that's clear.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
/"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't."/ - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +19 more
brudy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,428Gear list
Like?
In reply to oysteinvidnes, Dec 19, 2012

Love that first shot. The colors are amazing. I have the cv 35/1.2 (in an m-mount) and it renders similarly. It's a dreamy lens. If I ever go OMD this one will be on the list.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/brudy

brudy's gear list:brudy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha 7R
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads