costco printing

Started Dec 18, 2012 | Discussions
phat dinh
Senior MemberPosts: 2,542
Like?
costco printing
Dec 18, 2012

my images look great in cs6 but when printing at a local costco..the prints have a brown tint to them...help please

mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,856Gear list
Like?
Re: costco printing
In reply to phat dinh, Dec 18, 2012

phat dinh wrote:

my images look great in cs6 but when printing at a local costco..the prints have a brown tint to them...help please

That's the reason why i invested in a high quality home printer, the prints you get at Costco and pretty much everywhere else such as Wallmart, Wallgreens etc, SUCK!  The printing machines they have are very capable of printing out very nice photos but they just dont' set those printers to a HIGH QUALITY output because they don't care about quality, even if you ask them to, they won't change the machine settings, period.  You get what you get and you don't get upset!

Those stores are only producing QUANTITY and not quality prints so that they save money and not waste it on ink and paper, and us customers don't matter to them anymore.  A couple of years ago my dad was in charge of printing in a "high quality" photo lab store and his boss would actually get upset at him because he would phisically adjust the printer settings for a high quality output so that customers would be happy, but his boss would tell him to stop doing that and set the printer at a lower quality printing output.

If you want good prints you have to find a different and more expensive place, OR buy a photo printer.

 mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Craig Gillette
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,734
Like?
Re: costco printing
In reply to phat dinh, Dec 18, 2012

Have you calibrated your monitor?  If you adjust to the visual output of your own monitor and it's not adjusted properly, a printer's output is going to appear to be "off" depending on how you "corrected" things to appear "right" on your own monitor.  Costco also allows one to turn off any "adjustments" at their end so any tweaks that their system or their operators might have imposed, aren't going to be applied.

There is a possibility that at this busy time of year, they may have some adjustment problems but I had some done yesterday at my local Costco and there were no obvious quality issues.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,335
Like?
Re: costco printing
In reply to phat dinh, Dec 18, 2012

phat dinh wrote:

my images look great in cs6 but when printing at a local costco..the prints have a brown tint to them...help please

The most common cause of a brown tint is the profile. The safest color space to save them with is sRGB. Costco branches are supposed to use the DryCreek profiles, and you can download and convert your image to the profile supplied for the printing machines at that particular branch. However there have been many reports of Costco simply ignoring the profile.

So saving as sRGB is definately the safest bet. If you have it as AdobeRGB or ProPhotoRGB, then you will get problems.

If you want to look at the DryCreek suggestions:
http://www.drycreekphoto.com/icc/using_printer_profiles.htm

But there have been quite a few users posting on this forum that they followed this proceedure, and they were better off just using sRGB.

Brian A

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mtndew
Senior MemberPosts: 1,281
Like?
Re: costco printing
In reply to phat dinh, Dec 19, 2012

Here's my recent experience with store printing.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50483636

-- hide signature --

Rick,

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Daryoon
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
Re: costco printing
In reply to phat dinh, Dec 22, 2012

Actually, Costco does a good job. You just gotta know how to use the fact that they profile and make their ICC profiles available. Go to DryCreekPhoto and learn the steps necessary.

I created an action in Photoshop that converts all my photos that will be printed at Costco.

I had some 8x10 printed at Professional labs such as WHCC and ProDPI. Then had the same images printed at Costco.

The Costco one held up it's own. Very nice prints and very much like what I see. ProDPI uses Fuji Crystal Pro paper, and they had slightly more shadow details. But gosh, you were really A:B comparing and nitpicking.

Otherwise, color tint, there were none.

Whether you're printing at home or at a pro lab or at Costco. You really need to understand and utilize a color managed workflow. That's the key.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mtndew
Senior MemberPosts: 1,281
Like?
Re: costco printing
In reply to Daryoon, Dec 22, 2012

Daryoon wrote:

Actually, Costco does a good job. You just gotta know how to use the fact that they profile and make their ICC profiles available. Go to DryCreekPhoto and learn the steps necessary.

Thank you for your comments. I went to the DryCreekPhoto site and did some other on line searches. I went back to my Costco photo account to see what my default settings are. As it turns out I had the "do not auto correct" box checked. At some point I checked that box in my default profile. I believe that was a big mistake. I sent some new files over to Costco for comparison prints. I think I will now see the old Costco quality return. You are right, they do a pretty good job at least before I started having problems.

Thanks again - your post spurred me on to see why my results had gone from pretty good to not so great.

-- hide signature --

Rick,

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Petruska
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,685
Like?
Re: costco printing
In reply to mtndew, Dec 22, 2012

mtndew wrote:

Daryoon wrote:

Actually, Costco does a good job. You just gotta know how to use the fact that they profile and make their ICC profiles available. Go to DryCreekPhoto and learn the steps necessary.

Thank you for your comments. I went to the DryCreekPhoto site and did some other on line searches. I went back to my Costco photo account to see what my default settings are. As it turns out I had the "do not auto correct" box checked. At some point I checked that box in my default profile. I believe that was a big mistake. I sent some new files over to Costco for comparison prints. I think I will now see the old Costco quality return. You are right, they do a pretty good job at least before I started having problems.

Thanks again - your post spurred me on to see why my results had gone from pretty good to not so great.

-- hide signature --

Rick,

You really should have the "do not auto correct" box CHECKED.  You want to download the Costco profile, soft-proof using the profile on a cailbrated monitor, and then just send them the saved sRGB file and the print should come back to you matching your monitor very closely.  Once you have them auto-correct then they can do whatever they feel like, including colors, contrast , brightness, etc.

As an example, I have a landscape that I purposely tinted overall pink and want the print that way.  Once you uncheck the "do not auto correct" box they are most likley going to correct the colors and remove the pink tint that I want!

Bob P.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads