Using an external flash with the SX50

Started Dec 17, 2012 | Discussions
Ken1
Contributing MemberPosts: 860Gear list
Like?
Using an external flash with the SX50
Dec 17, 2012

I bought an external flash to use on my SX50 and it will not work.  It is the Yongnuo YN560 and is advertised to be compatible with Nikon and Canon cameras.  What happens is there is a micro switch on the left side of the flash mounting bracket, and when a flash of any kind is put into the camera it activates the switch and the flash symbol in the camera is deactivated.  According to the manual  on page 227 Canon Speedlite EX flashes will work with the SX50, but don't see how any flash would work with the micro switch activating when the flash is installed on the camera.  Has anyone used a Canon Speedlite EX flash with the SX50?  Is there any way to disable the micro switch on the flash mount?  Any help would be welcome.

Ken1's gear list:Ken1's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-6
MurryG
Senior MemberPosts: 2,697Gear list
Like?
Re: Using an external flash with the SX50
In reply to Ken1, Dec 17, 2012

Here is an earlier thread that might be of interewt to you?

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50479316

Murry

MurryG's gear list:MurryG's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joe Hanson
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
In reply to Ken1, Dec 18, 2012

I've just tried a Canon Speedlite 270EX with the PowerShot SX50 HS and the red flash icon appears when the flash is turned on. And the flash fires when taking a picture.

Ken1
Like?
In reply to Joe Hanson, Dec 18, 2012

Joe Hanson wrote:

I've just tried a Canon Speedlite 270EX with the PowerShot SX50 HS and the red flash icon appears when the flash is turned on. And the flash fires when taking a picture.

Ok, I guess the Yongnuo is not going to work then.  I appreciate you checking out the Canon Flash.   I guess I will have to do with the camera flash then as the Canon flashes are way too expensive for me.

Digital Shutterbug
Senior MemberPosts: 1,725Gear list
Like?

Ken1 wrote:

I bought an external flash to use on my SX50 and it will not work. It is the Yongnuo YN560 and is advertised to be compatible with Nikon and Canon cameras. What happens is there is a micro switch on the left side of the flash mounting bracket, and when a flash of any kind is put into the camera it activates the switch and the flash symbol in the camera is deactivated. According to the manual on page 227 Canon Speedlite EX flashes will work with the SX50, but don't see how any flash would work with the micro switch activating when the flash is installed on the camera. Has anyone used a Canon Speedlite EX flash with the SX50? Is there any way to disable the micro switch on the flash mount? Any help would be welcome.

Your flash has only basic communication with the camera. The camera simply fires the flash.  I suspect the reason your flash is not firing is because you have not raised the camera's built-in flash. The built-in flash will not fire That's the reason for the hot shoe switch, to sense the presense of an external flash. However, raising the flash tells the camera you want to trigger a flash. Your external flash will then fire.

Due to the lack of communications between the camera and flash, you will need to set the flash power manually, or set it to automatic and allow the sensor (eye) in the flash to set the duration. In that case, since you are not using TTL, any filters you have on the lens will not effect the flash (thus causing a possible underexposure.

Enjoy your savings on your purchase. I expect you will be quite pleased with most uses and a little practice.

Steve

GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,043Gear list
Like?

You really need a dedicated TTL flash to get the full benefit of the external flash.  There are other brands of flash besides Canon that offer full eTTL dedication for Canon cameras.  Take a look at Metz or Nissin flashes.  I prefer the Metz; but both are good and much less expensive than Canon brand.

You might also consider a used flash.  Places like KEH.com; B&H; and Adorama have selections of good used gear.  Any Canon brand flash with EX in the model number will work perfectly on your SX50.  The older 420EX is particularly good and sells used for quite reasonable prices.  I have two of these bought used from KEH and they work fine on my 60D and G15.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
marianco
Senior MemberPosts: 1,125
Like?
Use the Yongnuo YN565

Ken1 wrote:

I bought an external flash to use on my SX50 and it will not work. It is the Yongnuo YN560 and is advertised to be compatible with Nikon and Canon cameras. What happens is there is a micro switch on the left side of the flash mounting bracket, and when a flash of any kind is put into the camera it activates the switch and the flash symbol in the camera is deactivated. According to the manual on page 227 Canon Speedlite EX flashes will work with the SX50, but don't see how any flash would work with the micro switch activating when the flash is installed on the camera. Has anyone used a Canon Speedlite EX flash with the SX50? Is there any way to disable the micro switch on the flash mount? Any help would be welcome.

The Yongnuo YN560 does not have ETTL mode - so is not compatible with automated flash mode on the Canon SX50.

You have to get the Yongnuo YN565 which has ETTL mode.

However, for about the same price as the Yongnuo YN565, you can also get the Canon Speedlite 270EX II Flash.

Joe Porto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,010Gear list
Like?
Canon 270EXII
In reply to marianco, Dec 18, 2012

However, for about the same price as the Yongnuo YN565, you can also get the Canon Speedlite 270EX II Flash.

Yes...the Canon 270EXII is a good flash, although slightly limited in comparison to the larger Canon flashes in that it does not offer automatic exposure when used in "M" mode. Still, it is a much better size fit. I use it on my G15 and couldn't be happier with it's performance.

Also, if you can find the non "II" version at a better price, you may consider that, as it has all the same features, except you cannot use it as a slave, which you probably won't be doing anyway. The 270EX go for under $100 used.

Joe Porto's gear list:Joe Porto's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
Ken1
Like?
Re: Canon 270EXII
In reply to Joe Porto, Dec 18, 2012

Joe Porto wrote:

However, for about the same price as the Yongnuo YN565, you can also get the Canon Speedlite 270EX II Flash.

Yes...the Canon 270EXII is a good flash, although slightly limited in comparison to the larger Canon flashes in that it does not offer automatic exposure when used in "M" mode. Still, it is a much better size fit. I use it on my G15 and couldn't be happier with it's performance.

Also, if you can find the non "II" version at a better price, you may consider that, as it has all the same features, except you cannot use it as a slave, which you probably won't be doing anyway. The 270EX go for under $100 used.

Thanks Joe.  I ordered a 270EX from KEH used for $79.

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,099Gear list
Like?
Re: Use the Yongnuo YN565
In reply to marianco, Dec 18, 2012

marianco wrote:

Ken1 wrote:

The Yongnuo YN560 does not have ETTL mode - so is not compatible with automated flash mode on the Canon SX50.

You have to get the Yongnuo YN565 which has ETTL mode.

Unfortunately, the 270 doesn't swivel soils a bit limited.  I'd spend a few bucks more and go for the 430 exii.

Mark

Ken1
Like?
In reply to Mark B., Dec 20, 2012

Mark B. wrote:

marianco wrote:

Ken1 wrote:

The Yongnuo YN560 does not have ETTL mode - so is not compatible with automated flash mode on the Canon SX50.

You have to get the Yongnuo YN565 which has ETTL mode.

Unfortunately, the 270 doesn't swivel soils a bit limited. I'd spend a few bucks more and go for the 430 exii.

Mark

I got the Canon 270 EX flash in today and could not be happier.  It works great on the camera and the exposure is perfect.  It is much stronger than the camera flash and I am very happy I got it.  Thanks for advising me to buy this one.

I thought about the Yongnuo YN565, but it is too much for me money wise at this time.  I am interested to know if anyone with the SX50 has used this flash successfully.

vipictureman
Forum MemberPosts: 75Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ken1, Dec 26, 2012

Ken1 wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

marianco wrote:

Ken1 wrote:

I got the Canon 270 EX flash in today and could not be happier. It works great on the camera and the exposure is perfect. It is much stronger than the camera flash and I am very happy I got it. Thanks for advising me to buy this one.

On my SX50 I have used my Nikon SB80 in manual mode for great exposure. However, when shooting indoors the viewfinder or LCD go dark during focusing, unlike an the optical finder on an SLR. Does the Canon E-TTL flash avoid this some how?

Tony

vipictureman's gear list:vipictureman's gear list
Canon PowerShot S70 Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS +12 more
Ken1
Like?
In reply to vipictureman, Dec 26, 2012

After reading the reviews on the Yongnuo YN565, I ordered one.  It is a very powerful fllash, and is ETTL.  I will be getting it Friday.  I will know if it works with the SX50 then.  The Canon 270 EX works fine, but is not all that powerful (GN27)and has no controls.  The Yongnuo YN565 is rated at GN58.

I find it hard to believe the Nikon flash will work at all.  I tried my Nikon SB700 on the camera and it doesn't even show any icon on the LCD for flash with it on the camera.

vipictureman
Like?
In reply to Ken1, Dec 27, 2012

Ken1 wrote:

After reading the reviews on the Yongnuo YN565, I ordered one. It is a very powerful fllash, and is ETTL. I will be getting it Friday. I will know if it works with the SX50 then. The Canon 270 EX works fine, but is not all that powerful (GN27)and has no controls. The Yongnuo YN565 is rated at GN58.

I find it hard to believe the Nikon flash will work at all. I tried my Nikon SB700 on the camera and it doesn't even show any icon on the LCD for flash with it on the camera.

Ken, when you use the 270EX indoors on the SX50 in dim light, say at 1/60, F-4, ISO 200, does the viewfinder/LCD go dark when you half press the shutter button to focus? On my LX-5 regardless if I have or don't have a flash in the shoe the LCD does not darken when focusing. The SX50 will darken the same with or without flash. So I'm wondering does using a dedicated flash on the SX50 somehow change that.

Canon PowerShot S70 Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS +12 more
Ken1
Like?
In reply to vipictureman, Dec 27, 2012

My settings are at f/4, ISO 80, Aperture Priority.  When the 270 EX flash is up and running, the LCD screen is fairly bright.  When the shutter button is half pressed, it gets dark, then brightens like it was before I pressed the shutter button.  That is what happens when the flash is being used.  I tried it again without the flash, and it gets dark and does not get brighter.

I tried it with the camera flash up, and it does the same as with the external flash.  It gets dark at half press, then a half second later it brightens up like it was before I pushed the shutter button.

vipictureman
Like?
In reply to Ken1, Dec 27, 2012

I just tested it with the built in flash. In A mode with flash up the shutter locks in at 1/60, but does not darken. With the flash down shutter reads 1 sec. So also the 270 locks the shutter a 1/60 but also does not darken the screen. The SX50 will sync with the Nikon SB80 to fire the flash, but the screen will go dark at 1/60. So I'll have to buy a dedicated unit to get the most from the camera inside.

I look forward to your testing out the YN565 unit to compare with Canon's 430, 580 series units. I don't like direct flash so will need the higher powered units to use in bounce mode. I was looking at the Vivitar 383 unit but many have had them fail after little use. Todays Vivitar is not the same company that made the 283's of 35 years ago.

Ken1
Like?
In reply to vipictureman, Dec 27, 2012

vipictureman wrote:

I just tested it with the built in flash. In A mode with flash up the shutter locks in at 1/60, but does not darken. With the flash down shutter reads 1 sec. So also the 270 locks the shutter a 1/60 but also does not darken the screen. The SX50 will sync with the Nikon SB80 to fire the flash, but the screen will go dark at 1/60. So I'll have to buy a dedicated unit to get the most from the camera inside.

I look forward to your testing out the YN565 unit to compare with Canon's 430, 580 series units. I don't like direct flash so will need the higher powered units to use in bounce mode. I was looking at the Vivitar 383 unit but many have had them fail after little use. Todays Vivitar is not the same company that made the 283's of 35 years ago.

The SX50 has a double flash.  The first is to stop red eye and the second flash is the one that takes with the photo.  It could be that your Nikon flash is going off at the first impulse flash and that is why your pictures are dark.

I looked at the Vivitar DF-383 Flash as well.  As a matter of fact the price has dropped almost $20, making it at just over $100.  I read all the bad reviews about the flash, and many are real.  I have one for my Panasonic FZ150, and it does recycle somewhat slowly.  What really turned me against it is the slave function.  The Yongnuo has slave 1 and slave 2.  Slave 1 fires at the first flash from the SX50 and is useless as a slave flash in that respect. Setting it at Slave 2 causes it to fire on the second flash and the pictures look great.  The Vivitar in slave fires on the first flash and as a result of that, it cannot be used as a slave for the SX50 camera.  It does not have a setting to allow it to fire in slave 2.  The Yongnuo YN565 recycles very fast too, and has E-TTL that Canon uses.

Ken1
Like?
In reply to Ken1, Dec 28, 2012

I got the Yongnuo YN-565 EX flash in Thursday and it is checking out great!  It shows the f stop as well as the zoom level set on the camera.  It is a very powerful flash and can also be used as a slave.  It has the S2 setting for Canon cameras, in which it uses the second flash to trigger.

vipictureman
Like?
In reply to Ken1, Dec 29, 2012

Ken1 wrote:

I got the Yongnuo YN-565 EX flash in Thursday and it is checking out great! It shows the f stop as well as the zoom level set on the camera. It is a very powerful flash and can also be used as a slave. It has the S2 setting for Canon cameras, in which it uses the second flash to trigger.

Great! It looks really large. How does it feel on top of the SX50? Is it controllable from the camera menu? How much noise with recycling and zoom motor? How accurate are the exposures using the ETTL system? Does it sync up to 1/250 sec, and how's the recycling speed? Sorry for so many questions. The only shoe mounted flashes I've used in recent years are the Nikon SB-80's,and SB-800's, both which have been very reliable in use.

Thanks,

Tony

Ken1
Like?
In reply to vipictureman, Dec 29, 2012

vipictureman wrote:

Ken1 wrote:

I got the Yongnuo YN-565 EX flash in Thursday and it is checking out great! It shows the f stop as well as the zoom level set on the camera. It is a very powerful flash and can also be used as a slave. It has the S2 setting for Canon cameras, in which it uses the second flash to trigger.

Great! It looks really large. How does it feel on top of the SX50? Is it controllable from the camera menu? How much noise with recycling and zoom motor? How accurate are the exposures using the ETTL system? Does it sync up to 1/250 sec, and how's the recycling speed? Sorry for so many questions. The only shoe mounted flashes I've used in recent years are the Nikon SB-80's,and SB-800's, both which have been very reliable in use.

Thanks,

Tony

Tony, it is big, but not any bigger than my Vivitar DF-383 or my Nikon SB-700. It feels fine on the top of the camera. The recycling is quiet. The flash does exhibit some noise when it is zooming, and I like that. It is not real loud, but noticeable. It shows me it is working. I was able to shoot in Shutter Priority at 1/250 second. I tried shooting faster than that, but the camera speed was still set at 1/250, no matter what faster shutter speed I set the shutter to.

The camera recycles really fast. Most of the time it was less than one second. If sound is enabled, a tone sounds while the flash is recycling. I kind of liked that, but found it distracting and shut it off. It is just too loud for me.

I ordered the Stophen Plastic cover for the flash as well, but haven't gotten it yet. I zoomed in to something 30 feet away and the picture was exposed nicely. I set the flash at +1 as it looked a little dark at the 0 setting. That could be just the environment that I was shooting in though.

I tried bounce flash as well and it worked perfectly. The photo was well balanced and the lighting was pleasing to the eye.

Here is a link of the flash installed on the SX50.

http://kgravett.smugmug.com/Other/Yongnuo-YN-565/27298379_gw5n3M#!i=2294076406&k=kPXPQkM

I also have the Canon Speedlight 270 EX, and like the Yongnuo much better. The Canon has no controls, just an on/off switch, and many of the shots I took with it were overexposed.

I did check the EV controls on the camera and with the Yongnuo flash installed the Flash Control EV settings are on the camera are blacked out. The EV settings are controlled on the flash unit and not the camera.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads