Ken Rockwell: Don't buy a midrange zoom. Carry a fixed 50mm instead, like a pro.

Started Dec 17, 2012 | Discussions
Click Click Rizzy
Regular MemberPosts: 105Gear list
Like?
Ken Rockwell: Don't buy a midrange zoom. Carry a fixed 50mm instead, like a pro.
Dec 17, 2012

Ken Rockwell:

Get over buying a midrange zoom today. This isn't as bad as you think. Few, if any, pros use mid-range zooms. Most use a wide zoom and a tele zoom, and maybe drop a 50mm in their pocket for low light.

Even at f/2.8, the $1,700 24-70mm AFS is nowhere near as good in low light as the $120 50mm f/1.8D. Try it and see.

I never use a midrange zoom. For almost all my walking around and family photos, I use the 50mm f/1.4 AF-S. The fast f/stop lets me stop action in any sort of darkness, all with clean, creamy and sharp images at the high ISOs so easy for Nikon's FX cameras.

EDIT by Moderator...

Please refrain from posting more than 1 link to an external site unless completely necessary - in this case 1 is sufficient but 6 could be considered spam...

Click Click Rizzy's gear list:Click Click Rizzy's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro
nirvana0001
Contributing MemberPosts: 902
Like?
Re: Ken Rockwell: Don't buy a midrange zoom. Carry a fixed 50mm instead, like a pro.
In reply to Click Click Rizzy, Dec 17, 2012

Each lens has its own purposes, pros use whatever suits their task the best and so should everyone elses. KR is a troll, don't waste your time on his site.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Peter Hayward
Contributing MemberPosts: 631
Like?
Re: Ken Rockwell: Don't buy a midrange zoom. Carry a fixed 50mm instead, like a pro.
In reply to nirvana0001, Dec 17, 2012

I rarely criticize threads but sheeze the continuing anti Ken Rockwell sentiment smacks of cheap shots from afar.

Please, if you don't like Ken's articles don't go to his site (I don't). Please let this forum revert to what it once was. i.e very useful, informative and respectful.

-- hide signature --
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?

We live in an age where ever blogger with B&H or Amazon Buy It Here links can pretend they're some kind of expert.  For KR, I stopped visiting his site years ago when he wrote that lens hoods are a waste of time, and that he always keeps his lens hoods in the drawer and uses a hat to shield the sun instead.

Writing the tired "use a fast fifty instead of a zoom" is one thing, giving out bad shooting tips is another.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Click Click Rizzy
Like?
In reply to Peter Hayward, Dec 17, 2012

Peter Hayward wrote:

I rarely criticize threads but sheeze the continuing anti Ken Rockwell sentiment smacks of cheap shots from afar.

Please, if you don't like Ken's articles don't go to his site (I don't). Please let this forum revert to what it once was. i.e very useful, informative and respectful.

-- hide signature --

Oh no, please dont misunderstand... I was just confused cuz I just placed an order for a D600 with kit lens + Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 lens. So I am spending a huge amount... I wouldn't wanna buy the 24-70mm lens if the kit 24-85mm lens is more than enough for the Midrange Zoom...

Just wanna know what actual photographers think...

Cheers !

Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro
Peter Jonas
Senior MemberPosts: 1,487
Like?

Click Click Rizzy wrote:

Just wanna know what actual photographers think...

Cheers !

If you do want a genuine discussion about the topic of using fixed lenses instead of mid range zooms, then it's best to just float the idea and leave KR's name out of it.

If you don't, and especially if you put his name in your subject line, the thrad will soon enough turn into a discussion about KR.

KR has his opinions and his reasons for them. Some people who don't agree with his opinions or do not understand his reasons call him an idiot. I don't.

It may make perfect sense to use a fast prime instead of the mid range zoom or the other way around. It just depends on what YOU want to do and how YOU want to do it.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Peter Jonas

wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,207
Like?
In reply to nirvana0001, Dec 17, 2012

nirvana0001 wrote:

Each lens has its own purposes, pros use whatever suits their task the best and so should everyone elses. KR is a troll, don't waste your time on his site.

You have no way to back up what you just said.  I am certain Ken has much more experience with Nikon cameras and lens than you do.  He offered an alternative to using the 24-70mm, a midrange zoom.  That's is exactly what I did.  I use a AF-S 50mm f1.8G for those situations. The consequences of the 50mm is that I have to move around, but in most situation, that is NOT a problem.  Do I want the 24-70mm lens?  Of course, I have the money for it, and maybe I will buy one on eBay after the new year.

Click Click Rizzy
Like?
In reply to wasserball, Dec 17, 2012

So you can live without a 24-70mm, and continue with your 50mm prime?

paulski66
Senior MemberPosts: 1,452Gear list
Like?

Ken's a moron.

1/2 the time he's telling you the 18-200 is the only lens you'll ever need and the only lens he ever carries, the other half he's spouting this garbage. It gets tiresome.

For the OP:

Of course pros use the 24-70. The damn thing costs $2000...who else do you think is buying it?

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
Click Click Rizzy
Like?
In reply to paulski66, Dec 17, 2012

paulski66 wrote:

Ken's a moron.

1/2 the time he's telling you the 18-200 is the only lens you'll ever need and the only lens he ever carries, the other half he's spouting this garbage. It gets tiresome.

For the OP:

Of course pros use the 24-70. The damn thing costs $2000...who else do you think is buying it?

Well that's what  I believe too... But like I said, want to check if what KR said is true !

Cheers...

Click Click Rizzy
Like?

Also, I just placed an order for one... So I am like 'WT* is he talking about? Am I crazy spending so much?'

Peter Jonas
Senior MemberPosts: 1,487
Like?

Click Click Rizzy wrote:

paulski66 wrote:

Ken's a moron.

For the OP:

Well that's what I believe too... But like I said, want to check if what KR said is true !

Surely you must see that there is no absolute truth in a matter like this. If you think you need one or want one, then go ahead and get one.

KR has his reasons for what he says, and in most cases he tells you what those reasons of his are. If those reasons or circumstances or subjective views do not apply to you, or you have a different subjective view, then you should not worry about what other people say. And you should not worry about that other people may different opinions. Of course thay have.

Enjoy your lens.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Peter Jonas

fad
fad
Forum ProPosts: 11,510Gear list
Like?
Ignore this garbage post

KR was writing in 2009.  At that point only the 24-70 of today's midrange zooms was available.   It is seriously out of date.

All 4 current midrange zooms can take better pictures than you are likely to need, if stopped down.  I use all 4 of them and the 50D.  They each have their place.

If you don't have some understanding of the differing advantages of zooms and primes, an FX camera is more camera than you need.

-- hide signature --

Frank
All photos shot in downtown Manhattan unless otherwise noted.
Thanks in advance for the kindness of your comments or critiques.

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,486Gear list
Like?
Once again...

read between the lines and take his advice with a grain of salt (or two).

As others have said, mid range zooms have their uses and can be invaluable.

That being said, there is a lot of value in a 50mm prime, particularly as a learning aid as it teaches you composure.  You can zoom with your feet most of the time.

The 50mm prime will be lighter and easier to carry.  It is less obtrusive than a zoom lens, making it a less invasive tool when you want to be less noticed.

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
Swaleck
Regular MemberPosts: 275
Like?
Re: Once again...
In reply to user_name, Dec 17, 2012

Unless you really feel the need for that expensive 24-70, I'd return it for a refund and enjoy the camera with the zoom you ordered and perhaps add a 50mm f/1.8g . I had the canon variant, 24-70 f/2.8L and while it's not quite up to the standards of the Nikon zoom it's similar enough to compare. While I personally enjoyed the lens in the end I sold it and went back to primes and a cheaper zoom for when I need the versatility. The Nikon 24-70 is deff a pro lens, pro price tag and pro IQ but it is a huge price to pay unless you are making money with the camera IMO.

Scott

-- hide signature --
Todd Ka
Senior MemberPosts: 2,304Gear list
Like?

I enjoy Ken's site.  I don't think it's worth getting irritated over. I take whatever he says with a grain of salt.  I do think his site has become to commercialized over the last couple of years.  I enjoyed it much more when was more focused on photography, and less on get readers to buy stuff.

Leif Goodwin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,386Gear list
Like?

Click Click Rizzy wrote:

Ken Rockwell:

Get over buying a midrange zoom today. This isn't as bad as you think. Few, if any, pros use mid-range zooms. Most use a wide zoom and a tele zoom, and maybe drop a 50mm in their pocket for low light.

Even at f/2.8, the $1,700 24-70mm AFS is nowhere near as good in low light as the $120 50mm f/1.8D. Try it and see.

I never use a midrange zoom. For almost all my walking around and family photos, I use the 50mm f/1.4 AF-S. The fast f/stop lets me stop action in any sort of darkness, all with clean, creamy and sharp images at the high ISOs so easy for Nikon's FX cameras.

-- hide signature --

-----------------------------------

Do you agree? Share your experiences...

Next week, or next month, he will lambast anyone who uses a prime, as zooms are much better.He has a history of changing his mind more than Imelda Marcos changed her shoes.

The truth is that Rockwell makes statements with the sole intention of stirring up controversy, the ultimate motive of course being to get publicity for his web site, and attract visits. From the first post it looks like he has succeeded.

As to discussing this issue, I'll pass.

-- hide signature --

Leif Goodwin's gear list:Leif Goodwin's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +4 more
leighton w
Senior MemberPosts: 1,879
Like?
In reply to Leif Goodwin, Dec 17, 2012

Leif Goodwin wrote:

The truth is that Rockwell makes statements with the sole intention of stirring up controversy, the ultimate motive of course being to get publicity for his web site, and attract visits. From the first post it looks like he has succeeded.

Kinda of like some do on this site!

nalax
Regular MemberPosts: 481Gear list
Like?

You probably don't need a 24-70mm if you need to ask about it.

nalax's gear list:nalax's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
nirvana0001
Contributing MemberPosts: 902
Like?
In reply to wasserball, Dec 17, 2012

wasserball wrote:

nirvana0001 wrote:

You have no way to back up what you just said. I am certain Ken has much more experience with Nikon cameras and lens than you do.

And you have ways to to backup what you just said? Do you see KR shooting each Nikon's personally? AFAIK he did review products which he didn't own in the past. And how are you so sure my Nikon experience is less than his? Do you know me the entire life? I am not saying I do, but prior to this post, what you said is also speculation.

He offered an alternative to using the 24-70mm, a midrange zoom. That's is exactly what I did. I use a AF-S 50mm f1.8G for those situations.

As I said, each lens has its own purposes for. If 50 satisfy your shooting needs, chance is you don't need the 24-70. I've seen plenty of pros using the latter one for events and weddings.

The consequences of the 50mm is that I have to move around, but in most situation, that is NOT a problem.

Then by all mean stick with your 50. For many others this could be a problem. ie: wide angle indoor with limited space.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads