Opening RX-1 RAW images in Photoshop

Started Dec 16, 2012 | Discussions
Alex P Scorsch
Regular MemberPosts: 114Gear list
Like?
Opening RX-1 RAW images in Photoshop
Dec 16, 2012

Hi, I can't open my RX-1RAW images in Photoshop (CS5). Here on DPReview they recommend downloading the update in Photoshop using the HELP/UPDATES menu, but there is no Camera Raw Update in this menu. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Must I first upgrade to Photoshop CS6? Thanks.

Alex P Scorsch's gear list:Alex P Scorsch's gear list
Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +4 more
tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,992Gear list
Like?
Re: Opening RX-1 RAW images in Photoshop
In reply to Alex P Scorsch, Dec 16, 2012

Adobe isn't providing more Raw updates for older versions of Photoshop, apparently. I was in the same boat. Lightroom is cheaper to upgrade, and its conversions can be opened in PS for further processing.

tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
barjohn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,106Gear list
Like?
In reply to tesilab, Dec 16, 2012

Adobe doesn't provide RAW processing updates to past versions of CS.  That is why I am still using CS3 and have refused to upgrade it.  If more of us did that they would get the message.  This program is far too expensive to not provide RAW processing upgrades.  Then when the new features warrant and upgrade users will feel that it is justified and not because Adobe held a gun to their head.

-- hide signature --

John
Visit my web gallery at:
www.barjohn.com/My Photographs/index.html
Comments and critiques welcome.

barjohn's gear list:barjohn's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Leica T Sony Alpha 7 II
Alex P Scorsch
Like?
In reply to barjohn, Dec 16, 2012

So, how can I open RAW RX-1 images in Photoshop CS5?

Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +4 more
Donald Chin
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,415Gear list
Like?

Wait for DNG converter update is the only option.

Mir_ro
Forum MemberPosts: 79Gear list
Like?

Alex P Scorsch wrote:

So, how can I open RAW RX-1 images in Photoshop CS5?

Lightroom =>TIFF=> Photoshop

Mir_ro's gear list:Mir_ro's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
daxrocker
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?

...if you dont want to use newer versions of photoshop, just convert your files to DNG... to make this, you have to change their caption with the xiftool. here is a description:

http://rx-1.tumblr.com/RX1-RAW-english

Docno
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,108Gear list
Like?
Yes, DNG converter is the way to go...

I had to do this with my RX100 RAW files for a few weeks before I got my CS5-CS6 upgrade. Only slightly less convenient than transferring your files directly through Bridge ... very little added hassle.

-- hide signature --

NEX-7, Sony a900; SEL18-200mm, CZ135mm, CZ24-70mm, SAL70-300mmG, 50mm F1.4, 100mm F2.8 macro, KM17-35mm, CZ16-80mm, KM11-18mm, SAL18-250mm
http://lh5.google.com.au/glennjude/Rsa2wUQ1RxI/AAAAAAAAA-g/TjvlEY5BpIA/s400/Pano%20-%20Glaciers%20and%20Temple.jpg

Docno's gear list:Docno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7
tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,992Gear list
Like?
In reply to daxrocker, Dec 16, 2012

Merely getting the raw file converted into DNG and/or TIFF would preclude any automated distortion correction, no? Seriously, look into Lightroom. Most of those files won't even need to see photoshop.

tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
Alex P Scorsch
Like?
Re: Yes, DNG converter is the way to go...
In reply to Docno, Dec 17, 2012

Thanks everyone. Probably my best bet would be buying Lightroom. I have never used it. One more software to master. Hmmm. At least it will make my workflow go faster. I'm going to check out the Sony Raw Converter. Maybe I'll just export from there to TIFF for now. I'll see if that works for an emergency fix, then check out that DNG thing.

sjprg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,848Gear list
Like?
In reply to barjohn, Dec 17, 2012

And I bet you like to get paid every payday. The programmers and engineers at the software companies work hard to make the improvements that you enjoy with your upgraded cameras.

They need a paycheck also! Don't be such a cheapskate. Besides the difference between CS3 and CS6 is tremendous.

-- hide signature --

Paul

sjprg's gear list:sjprg's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +9 more
Alex P Scorsch
Like?
Re: Yes, DNG converter is the way to go...
In reply to Alex P Scorsch, Dec 18, 2012

I just paid $199 at Best Buy for Lightroom 4 and am presently downloading the upgrade for the RX-1.

ericN2
Forum ProPosts: 15,109Gear list
Like?
Camera Raw latest 7.3 upgrade FILE seperately ????
In reply to Alex P Scorsch, Dec 18, 2012

Can you get the FILE as a seperate download somewhere ?? .. as I can't seem to get my CS6 to give an Update which I presume self-installs..  adding the update 7.3 in place of the file that is in now would seem easy enough..

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads