Lenshood for NEX-6 with 16-50 Kit zoom

Started Dec 15, 2012 | Discussions
GodSpeaks
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,738Gear list
Like?
Lenshood for NEX-6 with 16-50 Kit zoom
Dec 15, 2012

Anybody using a lenshood for the collapsible kit zoom?  If yes, what one?

Thnaks.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +35 more
Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
GodSpeaks
Like?
So...
In reply to GodSpeaks, Dec 16, 2012

No one using a lens hood?  Really?

I know theat Sony lists the ALC-SH117 as the hood, but no one seems to have it inn stock.  At least none that I can find.

Any alternatives?

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +35 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
aodi
Contributing MemberPosts: 681Gear list
Like?
Re: So...

I do not

-- hide signature --

Anatoli

aodi's gear list:aodi's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Bart Hickman
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,087Gear list
Like?
I'm not using a lens hood (nt)
-- hide signature --
 Bart Hickman's gear list:Bart Hickman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +9 more
José B
Forum ProPosts: 16,886Gear list
Like?
Same here, I don't (nt)
In reply to Bart Hickman, Dec 16, 2012

Bart Hickman wrote:

-- hide signature --
 José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +4 more
Karl Gohl
Contributing MemberPosts: 713
Like?

GodSpeaks wrote:

No one using a lens hood? Really?

I know theat Sony lists the ALC-SH117 as the hood, but no one seems to have it inn stock. At least none that I can find.

Any alternatives?

-- hide signature --

- Rayna Butler

This is probably a mistake.  The 16-50 does not have any provision for a bayonet mount lens hood.  So unless this screws into the filter thread, I doubt it would work.

-- hide signature --

Karl

nosnoop
Senior MemberPosts: 1,688
Like?
In reply to GodSpeaks, Dec 17, 2012

GodSpeaks wrote:

I know theat Sony lists the ALC-SH117 as the hood, but no one seems to have it inn stock. At least none that I can find.

No, that's for the SAL1650 16-50mm f/2.8 Alpha lens, not the E mount retractable zoom.

EinsteinsGhost
Senior MemberPosts: 8,901Gear list
Like?
Re: Lenshood for NEX-6 with 16-50 Kit zoom
In reply to GodSpeaks, Dec 17, 2012

I don't have 16-50PZ, but if I did, I would buy 40.5 to 49mm step up ring, also to use filters and use screw on lens hood I already have.

-- hide signature --

Sony A55, Sony NEX-3, Sony F828

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
GodSpeaks
Like?
In reply to Karl Gohl, Dec 22, 2012

Karl Gohl wrote:

This is probably a mistake. The 16-50 does not have any provision for a bayonet mount lens hood. So unless this screws into the filter thread, I doubt it would work.l

Yes, I agree, it has to be a mistake.  I just got my 6 with the 16-50 kit lens, and lo and behold, no bayonet on the lens at all.  So obviously, someone at Sony has made a mistake and matched it with the Aplha mount lenshood for the same focal length(s).

But this raises the question, what IS the correct lenshood for the e-mount kit lens?

-- hide signature --

- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, Dec 22, 2012

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

I don't have 16-50PZ, but if I did, I would buy 40.5 to 49mm step up ring, also to use filters and use screw on lens hood I already have.

If that is what works for you, that is fine.  But I want a proper petal lenshood.

-- hide signature --

- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks
Like?
In reply to nosnoop, Dec 22, 2012

nosnoop wrote:

GodSpeaks wrote:

No, that's for the SAL1650 16-50mm f/2.8 Alpha lens, not the E mount retractable zoom.

I agree, it is not the correct hood, yet many sites are listing that hood as the one matching the e-mount SELP1650.

Additionally, the SELP 1650 has no bayonet on which to mount such a hood.

So what is the correct hood?

-- hide signature --

- Rayna Butler

captura
Forum ProPosts: 10,917Gear list
Like?
In reply to GodSpeaks, Dec 23, 2012
 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Nikon 1 S1 NEX5R Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +10 more
GodSpeaks
Like?
In reply to captura, Dec 25, 2012

captura wrote:

Try these marked 40.5mm or 40.5mm and petal.

http://www.shopping.com/lens-hood-40.5mm-olympus/products?sb=1

Thanks, good find.  For $10 I don't have much to loose and it's a petal shape too.

-- hide signature --

- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks
Like?
Update (for those that are interested)
In reply to GodSpeaks, Jan 2, 2013

I ended up buying this item through Amazon

Amazon link

It is basically, a 52mm petal hood that has a screw down ring for adjusting alignment, and comes with a 40.5 to 52mm step ring so it fits the 16-50mm lens.

Actually, it works and does NOT vignette at 16mm.  For less than $10 I consider it a fair price, especially since it comes with a lenspen and a cap keeper.  In my case, I also got free shipping from amazon.

I will be curious what the official hood from Sony looks like and how much it costs.

_

-- hide signature --

- Rayna Butler

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads