Few from Cosra Rica. 60D+100-400- 430EXII+ BB

Started Dec 13, 2012 | Discussions
vlab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,405Gear list
Like?
Few from Cosra Rica. 60D+100-400- 430EXII+ BB
Dec 13, 2012

Just came back from Costa Rica, so few for your jugement, Still have to go through another ~ 500 pictures

vlab's gear list:vlab's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +3 more
Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,543Gear list
Like?
Re: Few from Cosra Rica. 60D+100-400- 430EXII+ BB
In reply to vlab, Dec 13, 2012

Vlab, nice job! I also used 60D+100-400L+BB a few times in the Bronx Zoo that has effective reach and IQ to get the job done.  Flash with BB makes your subject look much better in contrast w/o having to increase ISO.  Thx for sharing.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
vlab
Like?
In reply to qianp2k, Dec 13, 2012

Thanks qianp2k, yes, in the rain forest you have nothing to do w/o BB.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +3 more
Moti
Regular MemberPosts: 203
Like?
In reply to vlab, Dec 15, 2012

Nice captures.  I'm going to Costa Rica in February and hope to find similar subjects.  I plan on using my 70-300mm lens and wonder if hand-held will be enough or should I bring a tripod (cumbersome).

Moti
Like?

BB - ???

qianp2k
Like?
In reply to Moti, Dec 15, 2012

Moti wrote:

BB - ???

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/better_beamer.shtml

Better Beamer.  It works but careful not blind animals eyes although just momentarily.  It costs around $36 in Amazon just 4 pieces of plastics.

-- hide signature --
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Jim F
Senior MemberPosts: 1,580
Like?
I've been to Costa Rica a few times ...
In reply to Moti, Dec 15, 2012

... I am not suggesting that I'm an expert on Costa Rica. But I learned a couple of things from my 5 weeks in total there and would suggest that you consider the following: Just about every species of birds, monkeys and whatever you'll be looking for are hiding high up in the thick foliage of trees. And some of these trees are enormous. There's a reason why they're called jungles. (You are going at a good time in that February is one of the drier months - not completely rain-free, but not the heart of the rainy season like September to mid-December). You will be surprised how dark it is in the forest where the 'good stuff' is that you want to shoot. Add cloud cover which is common there all the time and you'll find that you will be struggling to get decent shutter speeds. I would never go there without a tripod and a Wimberley Sidekick, especially for birds and tree dwellers. In fact, I bought a 4-section tripod just so I was assured that it would fit into a suitcase (didn't want to play games with the TSA and carry on issues). If you're going to incur the expense of getting to this fabulous place, take the best gear you've got. If you own some f/2.8 glass (or maybe rent something), take it. You'll be glad you did. You want reach and speed. Bring a macro lens if you can; great for butterflies, frogs etc.

Having said all of that, for sure you can find monkeys, iguanas, and the like down low in some parks like Manuel Antonio that you can easily photograph. However, it's not the most natural experience. I didn't get much of a thrill throwing my half-eaten sandwich on a picnic table and waiting for the "white faces" to show up just to get a snap shot.

Also, I think you should know that flash photography (as seen in the OP's samples) is actually frowned upon by local nature guides and by a number of locals themselves. I know; I got chewed out a few times during my first few days there. And I think it's stressful on the animals too. I like the original poster's image compositions, but I am really turned off by the flash. Just look at the faces on the subject. Bottom line: Let you conscience be your guide. Enjoy your trip to Costa Rica. I cannot wait to get back there.

http://jamesfarrell.smugmug.com/

elfroggio
elfroggio MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,764
Like?

vlab wrote:

> Few from Cosra Rica. 60D+100-400- 430EXII+ BB

Pardon my ignorance, but what is BB?

-- hide signature --

Thanks
http://www.foto-biz.com
The Business of Being a Photographer -- Lightroom Q&A

caspianm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,687Gear list
Like?
In reply to elfroggio, Dec 15, 2012

Moti wrote:

BB - ???

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/better_beamer.shtml

Better Beamer.  It works but careful not blind animals eyes although just momentarily.  It costs around $36 in Amazon just 4 pieces of plastics.

-- hide signature --

http://qianp2k.zenfolio.com/

caspianm's gear list:caspianm's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 7D Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-3N +6 more
Moti
Like?
Re: I've been to Costa Rica a few times ...
In reply to Jim F, Dec 16, 2012

Thanks for the reply and input.  I am counting the days until my trip.

Matt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,964
Like?
A bit over flashed
In reply to vlab, Dec 16, 2012

some of the shots have the typical "flash" look to it. I dont know if it would work but if you reduced flash power a bit, it may look more natural

-- hide signature --

Nothing to see here ...

vlab
Like?
Be carefull with BB
In reply to Jim F, Dec 17, 2012

I agree, you have to be verry carefull with the flash and BB. when I was too close to animals, I was trying to find the position were from I was not to shoot direct to the animal faces.

All shots (I brought home ~ 1000) was hand held - try to shoot above your head  and stay mobile, I was using the flash in ETTL with High speed and the camera in Manual, was keeping Shutter speed shorter than 1/250.

vlab
Like?
Re: A bit over flashed
In reply to Matt, Dec 17, 2012

I agree Matt,

Some of them do, but this the few ones, that I had the chance to convert from RAW in the plain on may way back and they were first ones. Ans I was using BB for the first time. I wish those animals were more still to have the time to readjust and reshoot.

qianp2k
Like?
In reply to vlab, Dec 17, 2012

vlab wrote:

I agree Matt,

Some of them do, but this the few ones, that I had the chance to convert from RAW in the plain on may way back and they were first ones. Ans I was using BB for the first time. I wish those animals were more still to have the time to readjust and reshoot.

Vlab, since 60D has single-function top buttons (which actually is not a disadvantage but a advantage to me as those functions on those buttons are usually the only ones I needed as I only shoot in RAW), I configured FEC (flash exposure compensation) on the SET button as I used frequently and FEC function is not on the top buttons. I always check histogram (as it's difficult to view LCD to get a sense of correct exposure) under bright sunlight outdoor and adjust FEC accordingly.

-- hide signature --
vlab
Like?
In reply to qianp2k, Dec 17, 2012

Thanks qianp2k for the advice, I will try it.

stealthcomputer
Regular MemberPosts: 180
Like?
In reply to vlab, Dec 22, 2012

Always love seeing the monkey's down there

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads