Aperture locked and lost files

Started Dec 13, 2012 | Discussions
lem7
Regular MemberPosts: 412
Like?
Aperture locked and lost files
Dec 13, 2012

I was reviewing so old albums in Aperture and found that many of the pictures are locked.  The library has not moved.  I manage all the masters within the library directory.  This is really odd.  When displayed in Browser view,  there appears to be diagonal chunks locked through out the album.

Has anyone had this happen?

-- hide signature --

Lem7

Najinsky
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,598
Like?
Re: Aperture locked and lost files
In reply to lem7, Dec 14, 2012

lem7 wrote:

I was reviewing so old albums in Aperture and found that many of the pictures are locked. The library has not moved. I manage all the masters within the library directory. This is really odd. When displayed in Browser view, there appears to be diagonal chunks locked through out the album.

Has anyone had this happen?

I've never seen a "Lock" file feature in Aperture and a search through the help doesn't turn up any references to locking files either.

Really not sure what you mean by locked files, so quite hard to visualise diagonal chunks of them too.

-Najinsky

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Shuttersp33d
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
In reply to lem7, Dec 14, 2012

Are you talking about disc permissions?

noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 11,232
Like?
In reply to lem7, Dec 15, 2012

lem7 wrote:

I was reviewing so old albums in Aperture and found that many of the pictures are locked. The library has not moved. I manage all the masters within the library directory. This is really odd. When displayed in Browser view, there appears to be diagonal chunks locked through out the album.

Can you post a screenshot? It probably will help us understanding the problem.

TonyK_in_Texas
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,679
Like?
In reply to noirdesir, Dec 16, 2012

I'm interested as well.  Use A3 right now but am looking at LR4.

Don't use managed libraries.  All my images stay in their original location but the libraries under A3 are larger than I think they should be.

Take care,

-- hide signature --

TonyK

Tord S Eriksson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,699Gear list
Like?
In reply to TonyK_in_Texas, Dec 16, 2012

Like Tony I recently progressed from Aperture 3 to LR 4.3. Not a totally problem-free switch, but in some ways, excellent!

-- hide signature --

tord (at) mindless (dot) com

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Pentax K-x Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 +25 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Aperture far superior for file management but can get confusing
In reply to Tord S Eriksson, Dec 26, 2012

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

Like Tony I recently progressed from Aperture 3 to LR 4.3. Not a totally problem-free switch, but in some ways, excellent!

-- hide signature --

tord (at) mindless (dot) com

Without question Aperture is far superior and far more capable for file management but it can get confusing and overwhelming to the point you lose control of your files.

TonyK_in_Texas
Like?
Re: Aperture far superior for file management but can get confusing
In reply to Basalite, Dec 27, 2012

My largest library is 8.1GB.  In going to the contents of the library I find a folder for 2009 but this is library is not 2009 it is 2005.  I am reluctant to remove the 2009 folders from the library and I see no way to do this in Aperture.  The rebuild database command has already been applied and it reduced the size to the current 8.1GB.

All of my files should be by reference, not managed.

Meta tagging in LR4 is far easier than in Aperture, especially after the fact.  In one sitting I was able to meta tag about 1300 pet photos and have them span all the years.  In Aperture I do this either by year or go through and import only those images of our pets and categorize them by their names.

Moving to LR 4.3 from Aperture 3 is not something I am taking lightly.  My copy of LR 4 should be here soon but I am still apprehensive about the move.  Yet I'll probably do it so I can eventually reclaim 27GB of drive space.

Thanks,

-- hide signature --

TonyK

ir Bob
Forum MemberPosts: 66Gear list
Like?
In reply to TonyK_in_Texas, Jan 3, 2013

The dates you'll find inside the Aperture library package are not creation dates. Instead they refer to the date you imported into the library. Unless you have a very compelling reason, there is no reason to search inside the package contents.

Especially since all your photos are referenced and not managed, you'll I only find previews in the package. You can turn of previews in the preferences, and then delete them using the photos menu.

ir Bob's gear list:ir Bob's gear list
HP Photosmart R707 Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +4 more
TonyK_in_Texas
Like?
In reply to ir Bob, Jan 5, 2013

Well digging down in to each Aperture library I found TIFF files I created using plug-ins such as Nik's HDR plug-in.  Strange thing is they were in the Aperture library and also in the reference folder.  Do this often enough and the poor Aperture libraries just grow.

In LR I don't have this issue because Lightroom does not have the concept of managed files.

Thanks,

-- hide signature --

TonyK

ir Bob
Forum MemberPosts: 66Gear list
Like?
In reply to TonyK_in_Texas, Jan 12, 2013

What you found are most likely previews and if so has nothing to do with managed or referenced libraries. You said you've found them inside the Aperture Library Package, what was the top folder inside this package where you found the photo's?

BTW Lightroom also uses the concept of previews and thumbnails for quick browsing.

ir Bob's gear list:ir Bob's gear list
HP Photosmart R707 Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +4 more
TonyK_in_Texas
Like?
In reply to ir Bob, Jan 12, 2013

Need to disagree.  The TIFF files found in the Aperture library were the same date, time, file extension (TIFF) and size (~45MB per file found in this instance) as to files I found in the referenced file location.

All I can fathom is Aperture did it from using the plug-in as I did not do it.  From day one I used referenced files only.

-- hide signature --

TonyK

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads