as an owner of an DMC FZ 200...

Started Dec 12, 2012 | Discussions
Geka
Forum MemberPosts: 79Gear list
Like?
as an owner of an DMC FZ 200...
Dec 12, 2012

would you recommend this camera to your best friend ?

Geka's gear list:Geka's gear list
Apple Aperture
RudyPohl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,936
Like?
Re: as an owner of an DMC FZ 200...
In reply to Geka, Dec 12, 2012

Yes, without hesitation. As part of my recommendation, if he/she was a DSLR user, I would explain the difference between small sensor bridge cameras and DSLRs; I would explain the FZ200's strengths and limitations, and I would show him/her some of the excellent photo galleries on Flickr and other places of some of the members of this forum.

Rudy

-- hide signature --

The FZ200 - One step closer to bridging the gap.
Flickr photo gallery

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,401Gear list
Like?

I have recommended it...with caveats.  You always need to get a feeling for the kind of shooting they do to help determine what will work best for them.  The FZ200 isn't exactly the first choice in an indoor party camera, for example.

Daniel Lauring's gear list:Daniel Lauring's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
rfactor
Regular MemberPosts: 495Gear list
Like?
In reply to Daniel Lauring, Dec 12, 2012

Daniel Lauring wrote:

I have recommended it...with caveats. You always need to get a feeling for the kind of shooting they do to help determine what will work best for them. The FZ200 isn't exactly the first choice in an indoor party camera, for example.

Agreed 100%.  Most of my friends are going to be shooting there children, which will most likely be indoors.  So therefore, probably not the camera for them.

rfactor's gear list:rfactor's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
Sunny Caribe
Contributing MemberPosts: 504
Like?

It would depend on the friend and their need, of course.  But somewhere over 90% of my photography-inclined friends would be very well served by either the LX7 or the FZ200.

Recently I worked on a remote video shoot where the cameraman, someone whose work you've seen if you ever watch National Geographic videos, took an earnest and extended interest in the FZ200 which I brought along.  He instantly understood its inherent limitations but he focused on its potential, remarking positively on its capabilities and the successful shots it got in some really difficult shooting situations.  Contrary to what you might think, pros at this level are generally taciturn about gear, especially in the field, unless they're working out how to do something to get a shot. After all, we had redundant sets of the newest shiniest and most expensive video gear on the market worth as much as my fairly nice house,  so I took his keen interest as a genuine endorsement.

chillgreg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,037Gear list
Like?
Wow that is awesome! Not the first high-level pro exultation I've seen either... (NT)
In reply to Sunny Caribe, Dec 12, 2012

chillgreg's gear list:chillgreg's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony RX100 II
mtgirl
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?

Well, it would depend on the friend.  If they are used to DLSR results, I'd warn them about the smaller sensor, but also point out that the camera is much easier to carry around and much cheaper in the long run than a system camera.  In many cases, DLSR users are more photography savvy anyway, so I'd expect them to be satisfied with the camera.

Turn around to the average person who has been using a camera the size of a pack of cigarettes and who hasn't even tried to figure out the settings on THAT camera.  For them, I'd say forget it.  This camera takes someone willing to take the time with it.  If they are never going to open a manual, check out the 1001 combinations of settings, etc., they will more than likely be overwhelmed.  In addition, many times these same users expect the camera to do ALL their work and not look at the scene with the eyes of a photographer and understand what is needed out of the camera before hitting that button.  This camera does a LOT to handle that in the IA modes, but cannot properly handle everything that is thrown its way.  I think that kind of user would be happiest with the thing that they've been using or something not too much different.  Heck, I saw a review of someone who had a similar zoom to this and didn't like the different menus on this from what they had.....

I have a TON of friends in that category.

Geka
Forum MemberPosts: 79Gear list
Like?
In reply to mtgirl, Mar 27, 2013

Thanks All for your explanations, advices and points of view !

Geka's gear list:Geka's gear list
Apple Aperture
yorbo
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
In reply to rfactor, Mar 27, 2013

So which one for that indoor use?

A Girard
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,199Gear list
Like?
In reply to Geka, Mar 28, 2013

Geka wrote:

I guess that all depends what they plan to use it for, whether you think they'll actually use the FZ200 for its potential or whether they want something "that takes nice pictures and fits in my purse" sort of expectations. Maybe order from a reputable seller with a return policy in case your friend and the camera aren't a fit. Perhaps a copy of a review of this camera might be a nice touch to go with it?

-- hide signature --

my website www.rememberyourjourney.com

A Girard's gear list:A Girard's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nik Color Efex Pro
Mikedigi
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,434Gear list
Like?
To be honest, I'm not completely sure why I've got one . .
In reply to Geka, Mar 28, 2013

Geka wrote:

Only if he's a keen photographer or, at the other end of the spectrum, is blind to imperfections.

For SOOC JPEGs, it is unforgiving and demands patient attention to settings and, especially, to correct exposure, where the range of good exposure is less than +/- 0.33 EV.

Therefore a lot of knowledgeable people only shoot low-settings, slightly under-exposed "RAW JPEGs" and PP them all.

Other knowledgeable people only shoot RAW, put up with the enormous file sizes and hassle and tell the rest of us that this is the only sensible way to go.

Why do I have one?  I'm not quite sure, but I guess it's mainly because, if I want this lens, I have nowhere else to go.

But do I want the lens because it's cool, and one-up-on-others, or because I really need it?

But I am seriously wondering whether to sell it while it still has value, i.e. before Panny or Fuji or someone else puts a more forgiving suite of goodies behind a constant f2.8 lens.

I understand why extreme birders and extreme safari buffs get far more than I do out of the FZ200 . . . it works best when zoomed in on an interesting animal or bird or art-form where the long zoom/f2.8 is key.  I don't point it at more general subjects or landscapes with the same feeling of expectant confidence.

Mike

Mikedigi's gear list:Mikedigi's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
stevetexas
Regular MemberPosts: 151Gear list
Like?
In reply to yorbo, Mar 28, 2013

yorbo wrote:

So which one for that indoor use?

For indoor use, I'm very happy with the Canon G15 if the cost doesn't deter you. Panny's LX7 should do about as well indoors as the G15.

Steve

stevetexas's gear list:stevetexas's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads