questions about sigma lenses

Started Dec 12, 2012 | Questions
Wael Hussain
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
questions about sigma lenses
Dec 12, 2012

Guys, i have two questions about sigma lenses !! 1st, Does anyone have an idea about sigma lens 70-200 f/2.8 and how does it perform in the night? Actually i found one costs 1200$ ???
secondly, I planning to buy a macro lens and i found sigma 105mm f/2.8 but without OS ! Does anyone know any thing about this sigma lens and is OS important for the macro shooting?

-- hide signature --

My camera is my heart

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Pitbullo
Regular MemberPosts: 253
Like?
Re: questions about sigma lenses
In reply to Wael Hussain, Dec 12, 2012

Here is a test of the Sigma 70-200 vs the Canon counterpart:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6XCaqamsZQ

When it comes to macro, you cant go wrong, and the Sigma 105mm is to my knowledge very very good. I have the Canon 100mm macro, without IS, and I shoot alot of handheld. However, I dont miss the IS, but mabye II dont know what I`m missing I use a flash to avoud camera shake. In my mind, IS on a macro lens is useful when shooting other things, like portraits etc.

Edit: When shooting close to 1:1 macro, DOF is very shallow, and stopping down is often a way nessacery. When doing so, you need extra light anyway, so flash is quite handy when doing macro. However, not a requirement, just a tip

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nikkorwatcher
Contributing MemberPosts: 684
Like?

1) autofocus performance in night depends mainly on your camera, but the f2.8 will focus better than an f4 or f5.6 lens

2) if you are shooting at true life-size macro for static objects you would normally need a tripod and patience to compose the shot so the OS does not seem a key feature. If you can manage to get close to live bugs at near life magnification you might want OS.

Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?

You might want to check more into that ultra-cheap 70-200 f2.8, as I suspect it must either be manual or defective.  Note that some old Sigma lenses require re-chipping to function on modern cameras, and that could be an issue here also.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

Fogel70
Regular MemberPosts: 437
Like?

Wael Hussain wrote:

Does anyone know any thing about this sigma lens and is OS important for the macro shooting?

Image stabilization is pretty much useless for macro, as most lenses can't compensate for the type of camera shake that is in high magnification pictures.

Flash is much more useful for macro subjects.

Wael Hussain
Like?
In reply to Pitbullo, Dec 12, 2012

Thanks pitbullo for responding 
i am still thinking of sigma 70-200 but my camera is not a full frame one
but i think i can use it
any objections

-- hide signature --

My camera is my heart

Wael Hussain
Like?
In reply to nikkorwatcher, Dec 12, 2012

appreciate your ideas nikkorwatcher
actually i like to take macro photos in the field, means it seems OS, IS and VR necessary to me especially it is difficult to use tripod outside and shoot bugs in flowers and on leaves
thanks anyway

-- hide signature --

My camera is my heart

Pitbullo
Regular MemberPosts: 253
Like?

Wael Hussain wrote:

Thanks pitbullo for responding
i am still thinking of sigma 70-200 but my camera is not a full frame one
but i think i can use it
any objections

-- hide signature --

My camera is my heart

I dont think the Sigma is a bad lens at all, and it seems that others are very happy with them. Check out this page:

http://www.pixel-peeper.com/lenses/?lens=248

Here are pictures taken with the Sigma. You can also choose what camera is being used, and compare with your own camera. A very good site!!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads