LX7 for $299, is there an issue???

Started Dec 11, 2012 | Discussions
akula57
Regular MemberPosts: 238
Like?
LX7 for $299, is there an issue???
Dec 11, 2012

This trikes me as strange given that it is a new product.    I'm not very familiar with Panasonic (have a G12 and lust after the FZ200) but is the venerable LX5 preferred by Panasonic owners?

The RX100 is $648 (full price) and will likely stay there.   A bit pricy for what it is to me --- don't get me wrong, I want one !!!

Is it just different corporate cultures --- I mean the G15 is probably still over $400 despite the price of this coming down.

Thanks for views and honesty.   Newbie.

mgatov
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?
Re: LX7 for $299, is there an issue???
In reply to akula57, Dec 11, 2012

At this price point, I go with the LX7, but when they wanted full price for it.... I'd rather pay the $150 extra and get the Sony.

On a different note... I had the LX5 and sold it to get the Sony.  No regrets. The image quality improvement was noticeable.

mgatov's gear list:mgatov's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D810
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
danielsonkin
Forum ProPosts: 11,372Gear list
Like?

Panasonic had a dreadful year financially.  They are just trying to drum up business for the holidays, and from the responses in the forum lately, it seems to be working.  For $300 you really can't get a comparable camera - its definitely worth it.  I also think that smart phones have taken a bite out of the digital camera market as well.  Add this to the droopy economy in general and you have a recipe for dropping gadget prices.  BTW, the LX5 went for $250 for one day last December (which is when I got mine).

The LX series has always been a very good series for the enthusiast photographer.  They used to be ahead of the curve, now they have lots of good competition; which is another reason for falling prices.

Daniel

danielsonkin's gear list:danielsonkin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25 +2 more
Nerja
Regular MemberPosts: 127Gear list
Like?

Errm, they seem to be quite a few people who have returned their LX7s due to various issues and that is just from reading this forum.  Is the LX7 really ready for market, or are they still getting their QC right, hence the low price point?

Nerja's gear list:Nerja's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5
Kevin Coppalotti
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,059Gear list
Like?

the market is moving to big sensors in small packages, panny is chained to M4/3. i see storm clouds ahead.

-- hide signature --
photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,668Gear list
Like?
Re: LX7 for $299, is there an issue??? Now $449
 photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 9,194Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kevin Coppalotti, Dec 11, 2012

Kevin Coppalotti wrote:

the market is moving to big sensors in small packages, panny is chained to M4/3. i see storm clouds ahead.

Which has absolutely bupkis to do with the LX7 of course. The LX7 just ran into a bad case of RX100-itis. Bad for Pany, good for us. Between the RX100 at $650, the X10 at $550, and the LX7 at $500, it was a tough decision with all sorts of tradeoffs favoring each of the different cameras depending on priorities. At $300 for the Pany, $500 for the X10, and $600-650 for the RX100, it becomes a MUCH easier call.

On your unrelated topic, I think the market for m43 gear seems pretty strong. But with their recent offerings, Olympus seems to be kicking a bit of Pany butt. They've been discounting their m43 bodies by a LOT and very quickly in the product cycle - Olympus prices have held pretty steady - I don't think the OMD has come down more than $50 or so since it was released in April. I think Panasonic is having some sales issues with their bodies, although they've released some really nice lenses in the past year that seem to be doing pretty well.
-Ray
-------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/collections/72157626204295198/

Veducci
Contributing MemberPosts: 810Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nerja, Dec 11, 2012

Nerja wrote:

Errm, they seem to be quite a few people who have returned their LX7s due to various issues and that is just from reading this forum. Is the LX7 really ready for market, or are they still getting their QC right, hence the low price point?

I really doubt the recent sale price has anything to do with QC.

As far as I know the Sony`s , Fuji`s, and Oly`s also had their share of returns for various issues. It`s just the way things are .

However , The only way you`d actually know with an undeniable certainty is to buy one and judge for yourself.

The one I bought from B&H  for $299 is as good as a new camera gets. The lens is perfectly centered and tack sharp. No problems whatsoever.

Now you can either jump on an exceptionally terrific bargain and bask in the glory knowing you have the latest and greatest or you can try to convince yourself the LX7 has issues and forever kick yourself in the a$$ for passing up one of the best deals you could ever expect to get on a top performing compact camera.

Veducci's gear list:Veducci's gear list
Fujifilm X-A1
ANAYV
Forum ProPosts: 10,430
Like?

Perhaps they are undercutting the LX7 to deffer many folk from buying the Sony RX100 (or others in this category). They make only a  little profit, but sell more, and that means less going to their competition.

Just a guess.

ANAYV

MchaelG
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?

akula57 wrote:

This trikes me as strange given that it is a new product. I'm not very familiar with Panasonic (have a G12 and lust after the FZ200) but is the venerable LX5 preferred by Panasonic owners?

The RX100 is $648 (full price) and will likely stay there. A bit pricy for what it is to me --- don't get me wrong, I want one !!!

Is it just different corporate cultures --- I mean the G15 is probably still over $400 despite the price of this coming down.

Thanks for views and honesty. Newbie.

I don't think I'd try to read too much into it at this point.  The cameras is brand new and while there are a few enthusiastic early adopters posting on the web, it doesn't really have a track record yet.  And the discount has only been in the United States where it's that frantic time of year when retailers are desperate to increase their bottom line.   The sales have been very short-lived, so they haven't lost much in the grand scheme of things.  3 months from now, most people will have forgotten about the sale, if they knew about it in the first place.  Let's see what happens when the price stabilizes in 2013 before making any final judgments.

-- hide signature --

Mike

MchaelG's gear list:MchaelG's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 +3 more
rowlandw
Regular MemberPosts: 346Gear list
Like?

I'm a Canonian who jumped on the deal (from B&H) and am very pleased!  Now when they take $200 off the FZ 200 I'll be on it, too.

rowlandw's gear list:rowlandw's gear list
Olympus C-3020 Zoom Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 +5 more
Veducci
Like?
In reply to MchaelG, Dec 11, 2012

MchaelG wrote:

akula57 wrote:

This trikes me as strange given that it is a new product. I'm not very familiar with Panasonic (have a G12 and lust after the FZ200) but is the venerable LX5 preferred by Panasonic owners?

The RX100 is $648 (full price) and will likely stay there. A bit pricy for what it is to me --- don't get me wrong, I want one !!!

I don't think I'd try to read too much into it at this point. The cameras is brand new and while there are a few enthusiastic early adopters posting on the web, it doesn't really have a track record yet. And the discount has only been in the United States where it's that frantic time of year when retailers are desperate to increase their bottom line. The sales have been very short-lived, so they haven't lost much in the grand scheme of things. 3 months from now, most people will have forgotten about the sale, if they knew about it in the first place. Let's see what happens when the price stabilizes in 2013 before making any final judgments.

-- hide signature --

Mike

A track record? Enthusiastic early adopters? One could say the same thing about the RX100 , but lets get real here. Both of these cameras have been out long enough now and both have long been tested and written about ad nauseum by the gamut of pro reviewers and rated at the top. Aside from nitpicking inconsequential idosyncrasies or personal preferences  I don`t think anyone is going to argue about what these cameras can do or just how good they are.

Personally I think the small Sony RX100 with it`s bigger 1" sensor stole the whole show this year . It`s seriously dampening sales for all the competition even at it`s rediculously high price point of $650. Add to this the economy stinks. The competition needs to up their sensor size and high ISO capability next time around and meanwhile we can all look forward to the others lowering their prices . I think Panasonic is merely getting the jump on it.

Right or wrong or for whatever reason the low price  , the one thing we do know for sure at this point is at $299 it`s gotta be awful tough to pass up.

Fujifilm X-A1
photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,668Gear list
Like?
I have an rx100 and got the lx7 for sharper pictures in good light

Some macros with the rx100 are not sharp.  In good light the lx7 is sharper

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Justme
Forum ProPosts: 20,989Gear list
Like?
Used it for a shoot today

I finally put the LX-7 thru its paces at a team holiday lunch. We had window seats so light was mixed as you moved further away from the window light. The pictures look great! Colours are rich, images sharp and were nicely exposed.  Out of camera JPegs require no work or sharpening.  I am impressed.

Default settings. Shooting in AWB and in aperture priority. Wasn't paying attention to the shutter speeds as I took images further away from the window light, so some images ended up blurred at ISO 80 and 100. Won't make that mistake again.....famous last words I was relying on this little cam and it more than came through.

The saying may be you get what you pay for.....but in the LX-7's case....the $299 really is a steal.

xx

xx

-- hide signature --

I know you mean well but please do not embed my images into the forum. Thanks for respecting that. http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/some_recent_shots http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/a_red_fox_family http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/image/55043863/small.jpg

graybalanced
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,958
Like?
Re: Used it for a shoot today
In reply to Justme, Dec 12, 2012

I stuck to my LX3 for three years and was pretty happy with it. At the time I bought, there was not much competition for what it did. When the LX7 came out, the field had changed and there were many excellent choices in the manual raw compact market. I couldn't spend $450-500 on an incremental LX upgrade, so I held on.

I only heard of the $299 LX7 deal last night. My local camera store said the offer ended at midnight. I thought about it, and I bought it.

Why? Because while there are other extremely worthy cameras in this segment now, they are not going to be available for $299 any time soon. So far I'm very impressed and happy with having picked up a camera this powerful for $299. I'm also looking forward to shooting slow motion with the 120fps HD video, which I don't think other cameras in this class can do.

Woke up this morning and the $299 deal seems to have disappeared from Amazon, my local store, the Panasonic store, and everywhere else. (B&H didn't seem to be offering it.)

I am very happy to have gotten in on it.

MchaelG
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?
In reply to Veducci, Dec 12, 2012

Veducci wrote:

MchaelG wrote:

akula57 wrote:

I don't think I'd try to read too much into it at this point. The cameras is brand new and while there are a few enthusiastic early adopters posting on the web, it doesn't really have a track record yet. And the discount has only been in the United States where it's that frantic time of year when retailers are desperate to increase their bottom line. The sales have been very short-lived, so they haven't lost much in the grand scheme of things. 3 months from now, most people will have forgotten about the sale, if they knew about it in the first place. Let's see what happens when the price stabilizes in 2013 before making any final judgments.

-- hide signature --

Mike

A track record? Enthusiastic early adopters? One could say the same thing about the RX100 , but lets get real here. Both of these cameras have been out long enough now and both have long been tested and written about ad nauseum by the gamut of pro reviewers and rated at the top. Aside from nitpicking inconsequential idosyncrasies or personal preferences I don`t think anyone is going to argue about what these cameras can do or just how good they are.

Personally I think the small Sony RX100 with it`s bigger 1" sensor stole the whole show this year . It`s seriously dampening sales for all the competition even at it`s rediculously high price point of $650. Add to this the economy stinks. The competition needs to up their sensor size and high ISO capability next time around and meanwhile we can all look forward to the others lowering their prices . I think Panasonic is merely getting the jump on it.

Right or wrong or for whatever reason the low price , the one thing we do know for sure at this point is at $299 it`s gotta be awful tough to pass up.

I guess we'll see how far the stree price comes down.  One thing we agree on is the temptation of the camera at $299 -- which temptation I rid myself of by succumbing to it. 

-- hide signature --

Mike

MchaelG's gear list:MchaelG's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 +3 more
morepix
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,102Gear list
Like?
In reply to akula57, Dec 12, 2012

I'm delighted with mine as a replacement for my LX5. Quite a lot of improved features, among which I'm particularly fond of the bright lens and the in-camera HDR capability.

I fitted mine out with an auto lens cap and a Clearviewer, and it's doing its job well. For that price, you can hardly go wrong. Of course, you might ask ​at what price​? Its price seems to think it's a yo-yo today. At $299, easy; at $449 not as easy.

But from what I read, I'm more comfortable with the LX7 than I would be with the RX100. Too many pimples. I'll be very interested to see the next rev of that one.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/morepix

morepix's gear list:morepix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
Bejersey
Forum ProPosts: 11,691
Like?
I think Panny offered a deeper discount
In reply to graybalanced, Dec 12, 2012

to the dealers for this promo...have been in retail sales that is what HP does and so on and so forth. Great camera great price anyway I look at it

Rick

Nerja
Regular MemberPosts: 127Gear list
Like?
In reply to Veducci, Dec 12, 2012

Veducci wrote:

Nerja wrote:

Errm, they seem to be quite a few people who have returned their LX7s due to various issues and that is just from reading this forum. Is the LX7 really ready for market, or are they still getting their QC right, hence the low price point?

As far as I know the Sony`s , Fuji`s, and Oly`s also had their share of returns for various issues. It`s just the way things are .

However , The only way you`d actually know with an undeniable certainty is to buy one and judge for yourself.

The one I bought from B&H for $299 is as good as a new camera gets. The lens is perfectly centered and tack sharp. No problems whatsoever.

Now you can either jump on an exceptionally terrific bargain and bask in the glory knowing you have the latest and greatest or you can try to convince yourself the LX7 has issues and forever kick yourself in the a$$ for passing up one of the best deals you could ever expect to get on a top performing compact camera.

Don't get me wrong, if I could buy an LX7 for $299 I would upgrade from my LX5.  I'm just surprised by the number of posts on this forum from people with issues with their brand new LX7s.  It doesn't mean all LX7s are bad, but I can't understand why so many people are reporting problems with the thumbwheel - how can QC miss that?

Nerja's gear list:Nerja's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5
Veducci
Like?
In reply to Nerja, Dec 12, 2012

Nerja wrote:

Veducci wrote:

Nerja wrote:

However , The only way you`d actually know with an undeniable certainty is to buy one and judge for yourself.

The one I bought from B&H for $299 is as good as a new camera gets. The lens is perfectly centered and tack sharp. No problems whatsoever.

Now you can either jump on an exceptionally terrific bargain and bask in the glory knowing you have the latest and greatest or you can try to convince yourself the LX7 has issues and forever kick yourself in the a$$ for passing up one of the best deals you could ever expect to get on a top performing compact camera.

Don't get me wrong, if I could buy an LX7 for $299 I would upgrade from my LX5. I'm just surprised by the number of posts on this forum from people with issues with their brand new LX7s. It doesn't mean all LX7s are bad, but I can't understand why so many people are reporting problems with the thumbwheel - how can QC miss that?

The thumbwheel implementation could be better IMO. I found it to be fidgety but after a while I got used to it and it works OK. The old joy stick on the LX3 was also figety.

Every camera has it`s warts and the LX7 isn`t perfect either. I understand the RX100 has it`s share of issues too but you live with the minor niggles and warts when everything else about the camera is so good.

Fujifilm X-A1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads