Help Buying an External Flash for the Canon T2i.

Started Dec 11, 2012 | Discussions
Vince Canon
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Help Buying an External Flash for the Canon T2i.
Dec 11, 2012

Hey,

I am looking for an External Flash for the Canon T2i.

Looking to spend $100 or less. I cannont afford the Canon 430.

I take alot of indoor photos of my children.

I have found Vivitar, Bower, and Yongnuo in this price range.

Leaning towards the Bower SFD926C or SFD680C.

Any experience or advice? What should I look for?

Thanks

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
WilbaW
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,617Gear list
Like?
Re: Help Buying an External Flash for the Canon T2i.
In reply to Vince Canon, Dec 11, 2012

You'll find some general advice and links in the Flash section of the unofficial Rebel Talk FAQ.

I don't know anything about Bower. The Customer Reviews section for each flash on B&H is a good place to get some feedback, e.g. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=605922&is=REG&si=rev#costumerReview and http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=605932&is=REG&si=rev#costumerReview.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
amosf
Contributing MemberPosts: 680Gear list
Like?

How much is a midrange yongnuo?

But I think saving up for the 430 was the best for me...

amosf's gear list:amosf's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +3 more
wave01
Regular MemberPosts: 258
Like?
In reply to amosf, Dec 11, 2012

hi look at a nissin di622, they are powerful cheap and very easy to use

zigi_S
Senior MemberPosts: 2,034
Like?

If you can, get a nissin di622 mk2. Although all the US online shops I looked through it's ridiculously expensive. In europe you can get it for 100€. Just try to get one with usb update compability possibility, tilt swivel, ttl and GN at least 35. The bowen looks ok.

Drogba88
Forum MemberPosts: 69Gear list
Like?
In reply to zigi_S, Dec 11, 2012

I have a Yongnuo  YN565EX which basically is a copy of the Canon 580 EX.   I use it paired with a Canon 430EXII for wireless flash and it has performed flawlessly.   And it costs much less than the 580EX.

Drogba88's gear list:Drogba88's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX160 IS Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +8 more
zigi_S
Senior MemberPosts: 2,034
Like?
In reply to Drogba88, Dec 11, 2012

Peter Parsons wrote:

I have a Yongnuo YN565EX which basically is a copy of the Canon 580 EX. I use it paired with a Canon 430EXII for wireless flash and it has performed flawlessly. And it costs much less than the 580EX.

Yes the YN565EX is a good flash for it's price also. But it's a copy only on the outside of the Canon 580 EX. It's not master capable and no high-speed sync.  Still, a good flash. And relatively cheap.

Vince Canon
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?

Thank you all for the replys. Keep them coming please.

The Nissin is $229 at BHphoto, so still out of my price range.

Anyone have the Bower SFD680C ?

Thanks

Suave
Contributing MemberPosts: 950Gear list
Like?
In reply to Vince Canon, Dec 12, 2012

You know, my first flash was Sunpak 383.   Five cameras later I still own it, and still use it.   It's fully manual of course, but it's like 20-30 bucks on ebay, and shooting with manual flash is not that difficult.

Suave's gear list:Suave's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +2 more
Drogba88
Forum MemberPosts: 69Gear list
Like?
In reply to zigi_S, Dec 14, 2012

You are quite right, not master capable, but with the setup I use, the camera flash is the master, and the Yongnuo is an excellent slave.   I think I paid just over $100 for it about a year ago.   I don't know anything about the Nissin or Bower flashes, sorry.

Drogba88's gear list:Drogba88's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX160 IS Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +8 more
BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,614Gear list
Like?
In reply to Suave, Dec 15, 2012

Would it be possible to explain just how you set a manual flash....such as your 383?

What do you need to know, and what sort of settings are there to manipulate?

Just a brief how-to would be VERY helpful and much appreciated.  Thank you.

Suave
Contributing MemberPosts: 950Gear list
Like?
In reply to BobT, Dec 15, 2012

BobT wrote:

Would it be possible to explain just how you set a manual flash....such as your 383?

Just a brief how-to would be VERY helpful and much appreciated. Thank you.

It doesn't really differ that much from regular manual shooting.  So in the manual mode you have two variables to adjust - shutter speed and aperture.  Here you add a third one - flash power.   You would start by setting shutter speed - usually 1/125 or 1/160 - it does not really matter since flash discharge is only about 1/10,000 the amount of light will be the same - you just want to stop the motion. 1/200 will work on most cameras, but not all, and if I recall it correctly at 1/250 Rebels will show an artefact in the shot.  For that matter if you are using a speedlight in its manual mode camera won't let you go past 1/200 (I don't have a Rebel on hand but I think it's 1/200).  So the shutter is set at 1/125.  Now you set the aperture to whatever you want.  All that remains is to dial in shutter power and take a few practice shots until the scene is properly lit.   Say,  for a typical indoor shot with flash bounced of the ceiling and the subject with 10 feet from me I will start with 1/125, f4, and 1/4 power.   It gets a bit trickier if you shoot in the dark since there's no AF assist or if you need to balance flash and ambient light, but you can get the hang of simple indoor shooting in 10 minutes flat.

Suave's gear list:Suave's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +2 more
miked58
Senior MemberPosts: 1,466Gear list
Like?
In reply to Suave, Dec 16, 2012

To get a cheap flash look in the used section of ebay etc. Look for a flash that has auto thyristor.

BUT check out its trigger voltage so not to damage your camera (botzilla.com) The Vivitar 285HV is a good flash easy to find online. The non HV version has too high a trigger voltage.

Shoot in manual setting on camera. Set flash to f4,  set camera to f4 , 1/60th, iso 100. Everything should look good.

I have 3 used flashes and none has ever given me problems (580EX, 430EX, Panasonic)

miked58's gear list:miked58's gear list
Ricoh GR
Y0GI
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,210Gear list
Like?
In reply to BobT, Dec 16, 2012

BobT wrote:

Just a brief how-to would be VERY helpful and much appreciated. Thank you.

A simple way to set a manual flash is to remember the formula:  GN = f X y where GN is the guide number of your flash, f = f/stop, and y = subject distance. Most manual flashes have a table on the back of the flash for calculating the proper aperture at various distances.  Select a shutter speed less than the camera's FP Synch speed (1/200 sec for Canon Rebels) and fast enough to freeze the action.  For a person sitting in a chair, use at least 1/30 sec SS.  For a group of people standing still, use 1/60 to 1/125 sec. SS.  If antsy children are involved, use 1/200 sec SS.  Keep in mind that the faster the shutter speed, the darker the background will be.

For example:

A Sunpak Digital Flash with a GN 52 (ft) or 16 (m) were used to take a number of sample shots. This is a very small and cheap flash that has a exposure table on its back panel as shown below.

The flash is mounted in a FZ-10 and the flash-subject distance is 6 feet. Since the GN at ISO 100 is 52, the lens aperture should be 52/6 = F8.7 to yield well-exposed results. If the ISO is set to 50, the lens aperture should be 1 stop larger (i.e., F6+) to compensate the slower ISO speed. The above table shows approximately the same results.

More info here:  http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/FZ-10/Ext-Flash/Flash-Manual-Mode.html

-- hide signature --

Yogi
When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!
See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.
Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads