picture IQ........RX100 VS RX1

Started Dec 10, 2012 | Discussions
mordicai
Forum MemberPosts: 95
Like?
picture IQ........RX100 VS RX1
Dec 10, 2012

Will someone please post some pictures that show the RX1 blowing away the RX100 in IQ, so I can sell my RX100 and spend $3,000 on a RX1 that I don't need.  PLEASE!!!  I keep thinking that my little R100 takes great pictures and that I don't need the RX1......but I want it!

Ricoh R10 Sony RX1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Marti58
Marti58 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 18,825Gear list
Like?
question what do you do
In reply to mordicai, Dec 10, 2012

with your images ? internet printing, what kind of things do you shoot ?

-- hide signature --

*All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2*
Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

Marti58's gear list:Marti58's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Samsung HZ35W Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon Coolpix P500 +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mordicai
Like?
Re: question what do you do
In reply to Marti58, Dec 10, 2012

Marti58 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

I shoot everything. I've used everything from 8x10 film to sinars, Linhofs,Leica's and hasselblads. I'm a pixal peeper but I'm not a pro anymore. Now I just have a little web site for myself and friends. The RX100 is the highest Rez sensor I've every owned, and I love it.  I shoot RAW and spend hours on Lightroom. This is what I'm shooting now with the RX100 http://www.pbase.com/mordicai/image/147679629

Hughesnet
Senior MemberPosts: 1,024Gear list
Like?

mordicai wrote:

Marti58 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

I shoot everything. I've used everything from 8x10 film to sinars, Linhofs,Leica's and hasselblads. I'm a pixal peeper but I'm not a pro anymore. Now I just have a little web site for myself and friends. The RX100 is the highest Rez sensor I've every owned, and I love it.  I shoot RAW and spend hours on Lightroom. This is what I'm shooting now with the RX100 http://www.pbase.com/mordicai/image/147679629

I don't have the RX1 yet, it comes tomorrow,  but it may help you to do some research on differences between sensor sizes. Like APSC vs FF as an example. And what you get with the changes in sensor sizes. You can't always see on a computer screen looking at a pic on a web site the real differences that the larger sensor gave you. You need to put the raw files on your computer, shoot in light conditions you couldn't manage before, play with DoF you didn't have before. Most people just put two pictures side by side and look for which is sharper and call that IQ. But there is so much more to the difference. Sounds you like could really use it given what you say you do with your pictures.

Someone who only takes pictures and then stores them digitally never printing and never displaying except on facebook or flikr though wouldnt notice it as much.

Hughesnet's gear list:Hughesnet's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +1 more
Marti58
Marti58 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 18,825Gear list
Like?
now i understand

your *want* better ....:-), i recently even started to shoot my Mamiya 645 on the day's i'm good.

my guess you will love the RX1, need is another thing, but  i fully understand where the want comes from

-- hide signature --

Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

Marti58's gear list:Marti58's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Samsung HZ35W Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon Coolpix P500 +25 more
WCguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 941Gear list
Like?
Re: picture IQ........RX100 VS RX1

mordicai wrote:

Will someone please post some pictures that show the RX1 blowing away the RX100 in IQ, so I can sell my RX100 and spend $3,000 on a RX1 that I don't need. PLEASE!!! I keep thinking that my little R100 takes great pictures and that I don't need the RX1......but I want it!

So why not have both, you will then cover everything.No need to get rid of the RX100 unless you can't afford both.Best of both worlds,one in each pocket and yes the RX1 fits into my jacket pocket with ease.    WC

-- hide signature --

It's What You Learn After You Know It All That Counts !

WCguy's gear list:WCguy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sony RX1 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 AW1 +31 more
teseg
Senior MemberPosts: 2,037Gear list
Like?
Thing 1 and Thing 2

My RX1 arrived hours ago... It is raining out and the Mrs. is entertaining upstairs so I am relegated to my dark man-cave. Nonetheless, here are the first 2 shots out of my new camera. I already sense the enourmous ability this camera will deliver... months and months of me just trying to figure out all its capabilities.

ISO 1250

ISO 6400

Not until you start composing pictures do you realize how wide open flexible the possiblilites are. It is pretty mind-blowing the versatility of this small metal block.

Edit: It is not until you download the images onto your computer and see the results have blown away any similar attempt on another camera that you realize you got your money's worth.

teseg's gear list:teseg's gear list
Sony RX1
mordicai
Like?
Re: Thing 1 and Thing 2
In reply to teseg, Dec 11, 2012

Serious resolution with that lens-sensor combo. An obvious class above my rx100. This camera should keep you satisfied for quite a while. Thanks for the photos

harry cannoli
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,293Gear list
Like?
If you have to ask..
In reply to mordicai, Dec 11, 2012

mordicai wrote:

Will someone please post some pictures that show the RX1 blowing away the RX100 in IQ, so I can sell my RX100 and spend $3,000 on a RX1 that I don't need. PLEASE!!! I keep thinking that my little R100 takes great pictures and that I don't need the RX1......but I want it!

If you have to ask, you're not ready. When you understand what a FF sensor and a fast prime lens does, then you'll have the information required to make a sensible decision.

ice nine photography

"Take only pictures, leave only footprints"

harry cannoli's gear list:harry cannoli's gear list
Olympus C-700 UZ Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 350D +9 more
WCguy
Like?

teseg wrote:

My RX1 arrived hours ago... It is raining out and the Mrs. is entertaining upstairs so I am relegated to my dark man-cave. Nonetheless, here are the first 2 shots out of my new camera. I already sense the enourmous ability this camera will deliver... months and months of me just trying to figure out all its capabilities.

ISO 1250

ISO 6400

Not until you start composing pictures do you realize how wide open flexible the possiblilites are. It is pretty mind-blowing the versatility of this small metal block.

Edit: It is not until you download the images onto your computer and see the results have blown away any similar attempt on another camera that you realize you got your money's worth.

Very nice, job well done. Funny how we can all be just like when we were young and got excited about opening our gifts at Christmas , its happening once again.My wife thought I was crazy spending what I did on this camera, but I saw a twinkle in her eye watching as I put my RX1 together with its accessories and snapping off shot after shot,having that excitement as I had as a young lad, she knew, I could tell from that twinkle and her head shaking as she left, she knew  I was that kid once again but one with expensive  taste.  Hope you enjoy your new camera as I am mine.   WC

-- hide signature --

teseg
Senior MemberPosts: 2,037Gear list
Like?
In reply to WCguy, Dec 11, 2012

WCguy... That is so funny you say that about your wife... My wife doesn't really know how much I spent on this but she suspects a lot. She too had a very "happy for me" expression as I was so excited opening my package. This is the first big unprompted splurge on myself likely since we were married so I think she is very excited for me (and at some point for her, because at some point, months or years out, I'm sure she will hold it over my head too her advantage )

Anyway, interesting to see the exuberance of forum members over this darn camera. I've not been around the camera forum scene long enough to see the same kind of excitement and anticipation as with this RX1.

teseg's gear list:teseg's gear list
Sony RX1
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,240Gear list
Like?

I have my own fun online account where I've saved for many years and never touched any of the money. My RX1 is coming out of this account and I am not telling my wife how much I am spending, but she knows I am getting a nice new camera. She doesn't care as long as I have it covered since we pay off our credit cards each month. But this is really the first time I've spent more than about $500 without talking to my wife in our 16 years of marriage.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
chiumeister
Contributing MemberPosts: 615Gear list
Like?
In reply to mordicai, Dec 11, 2012

mordicai wrote:

Marti58 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

you seem to be doing great with the RX100.  can't see any reason why you would need the RX1 based on these pictures.

-- hide signature --

www.BillyChiu.com
www.youtube.com/paulchiu

chiumeister's gear list:chiumeister's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Leica M9 Canon EOS-1D X Fujifilm X-Pro1 +2 more
Docno
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,054Gear list
Like?
Actually, ...
In reply to harry cannoli, Dec 11, 2012

harry cannoli wrote:

mordicai wrote:

If you have to ask, you're not ready. When you understand what a FF sensor and a fast prime lens does, then you'll have the information required to make a sensible decision.

ice nine photography

... it seems he has experience with medium format cameras, so he'll definitely have a good feel for what a FF can do in the right hands. I guess it's more of a question of the possible constraints of working with a FF in such a compact package and when your are 'confined' to a single prime lens. Or more likely, he's getting close to going over the cliff and plonking down a lot of cash to buy one of these tempting things...

-- hide signature --

NEX-7, Sony a900; SEL18-200mm, CZ135mm, CZ24-70mm, SAL70-300mmG, 50mm F1.4, 100mm F2.8 macro, KM17-35mm, CZ16-80mm, KM11-18mm, SAL18-250mm
http://lh5.google.com.au/glennjude/Rsa2wUQ1RxI/AAAAAAAAA-g/TjvlEY5BpIA/s400/Pano%20-%20Glaciers%20and%20Temple.jpg

Docno's gear list:Docno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R
barjohn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,092Gear list
Like?
Re: Actually, ...
In reply to Docno, Dec 11, 2012

In looking at your images, one thing you could use is better dynamic range and the RX1 will give you that.

-- hide signature --

John
Visit my web gallery at:
www.barjohn.com/My Photographs/index.html
Comments and critiques welcome.

barjohn's gear list:barjohn's gear list
Olympus XZ-1
WCguy
Like?

teseg wrote:

WCguy... That is so funny you say that about your wife... My wife doesn't really know how much I spent on this but she suspects a lot. She too had a very "happy for me" expression as I was so excited opening my package. This is the first big unprompted splurge on myself likely since we were married so I think she is very excited for me (and at some point for her, because at some point, months or years out, I'm sure she will hold it over my head too her advantage )

Anyway, interesting to see the exuberance of forum members over this darn camera. I've not been around the camera forum scene long enough to see the same kind of excitement and anticipation as with this RX1.

Well to tell you the truth my wife knew all along that I was getting a new camera but not how much it was going to cost, she asked since I had several others ,why did I need another, no answer did I give, just slipped away quickly.Three months went by and then finally the camera. I paid for it myself with funds I had put aside and when I sat down to show my wife my newest proud possession, she politely asked ,oh and how much did that cost. Over $3000 I said (the stare) and of course the accessories (the head tipping a little back) so about another $1000 I said (the head shake) but its ok I had the money saved I said (another prolonged head shake) but alas I won her over, a big hug and away I went with my proud possession. Whew !       WC

-- hide signature --

asterox101
Regular MemberPosts: 196
Like?
Re: If you have to ask..
In reply to harry cannoli, Dec 11, 2012

harry cannoli wrote:

mordicai wrote:

ice nine photography

ah come on harry!

his images look like he knows what he's doing. he's struggling with the same thing a lot of us are: trying to rationalize "want" with "need".

to the OP: looks like you do great things with your RX100. it's a win win situation for you.

1. buy RX1 and enjoy the new shiny. judging by your gallery i'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with the dynamic range, color depth and overall image quality.

or

2. keep working with your RX100 and feel wise when the inevitable next new shiny comes along in a few months.

no downside unless the cash and/or change in workstyle caused by FF is a big problem.

enjoy!

mike779
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
In reply to chiumeister, Dec 11, 2012

chiumeister wrote:

mordicai wrote:

Marti58 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

I shoot everything. I've used everything from 8x10 film to sinars, Linhofs,Leica's and hasselblads. I'm a pixal peeper but I'm not a pro anymore. Now I just have a little web site for myself and friends. The RX100 is the highest Rez sensor I've every owned, and I love it. I shoot RAW and spend hours on Lightroom. This is what I'm shooting now with the RX100 http://www.pbase.com/mordicai/image/147679629

you seem to be doing great with the RX100. can't see any reason why you would need the RX1 based on these pictures.

-- hide signature --

www.BillyChiu.com
www.youtube.com/paulchiu

Yeah. Why people tends to sell rx100 & get an expensive rx1. For me rx100 is awesome job with excellent iq. M happy with my baby.

mordicai
Like?
Re: Actually, ...
In reply to barjohn, Dec 11, 2012

barjohn wrote:

In looking at your images, one thing you could use is better dynamic range and the RX1 will give you that.

-- hide signature --

John
Visit my web gallery at:
www.barjohn.com/My Photographs/index.html
Comments and critiques welcome.

John, the rx100 has about 12.5 DR( according to DXO) What is the DR of the RX1?

mordicai
Like?
Re: If you have to ask..
In reply to asterox101, Dec 11, 2012

It is about money. For me it's about what I give up to own a RX1 over my RX100. Even though I love my shiny new rx100, I suspect that the IQ of the 1 is far and above what I'm getting now. As far as fast primes go, my walk around lens for the past three years has been a 85 1.2. I love fast primes. The f2 Zeiss is speedy, but not fast!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads