Selling nex 7 for rx1?

Started Dec 10, 2012 | Discussions
Alphamale77
Regular MemberPosts: 240Gear list
Like?
Selling nex 7 for rx1?
Dec 10, 2012

Has anyone done that or considering? assume you have the zeiss 24mm to sell in exchange.

The review seems to be really good for rx1, but the accessories is keeping me away...

If you've done it, how much better do you find the rx1 to be over the nex 7 combo?

Alphamale77's gear list:Alphamale77's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +6 more
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
guizai
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
Re: Selling nex 7 for rx1?
In reply to Alphamale77, Dec 10, 2012

Don't!!!

-- hide signature --

th

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jefenator
Senior MemberPosts: 1,432Gear list
Like?

The RX1 doesn't seem to fare especially well against the NEX-7 with dpreview's comparison tool - the N7 seems sharper at the pixel level and the pixel count is pretty much equal. Of course, they're using very different lenses at different lengths, so it's a bit of an apples-oranges thing - and that comparison tool isn't necessarily the end-all measure of a camera's worthiness. (But still...)

If the SEL24 is the only lens you ever plan to use on your NEX-7 and compactness is all-important and you have the money handy, then it might make sense to switch.

I am intrigued by the RX1 - I would certainly accept it as a gift! But I think I just ruled myself out on at least 3 different counts for trading up.

Jefenator's gear list:Jefenator's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS M Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +1 more
nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,377Gear list
Like?

Alphamale77 wrote:

Has anyone done that or considering? assume you have the zeiss 24mm to sell in exchange.

The review seems to be really good for rx1, but the accessories is keeping me away...

If you've done it, how much better do you find the rx1 to be over the nex 7 combo?

Haven't seen a decent bird shot from one yet !!

Danny.

-- hide signature --
iSurvivor
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?

I would say no, but then again, I can't keep more than one lens on my camera, get bored easily. I think the best feature is being able to try out different lenses that which you most certainly cannot do with the RX1. It just seems to be too much of a high-end point and shoot.

iSurvivor's gear list:iSurvivor's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +3 more
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,505Gear list
Like?

Alphamale77 wrote:

The review seems to be really good for rx1, but the accessories is keeping me away...

Say if I used only the E mount 24mm f/1.8 on the NEX 7, I would be tempted, but they aren't that different.  I would only be tempted if I shot a lot of base ISO shots and wanted the best quality, or maybe wanted a little better quality for the high ISO shots as well.

But as soon as you consider that, you also have to consider that say a Nikon D600 with 35mm f/2 lens is less money and offers a lot more features including interchangeable lenses.

Also, a Canon 6D or used 5dII with a 40mm f/2.8 would be similar effective aperture as the Zeiss 24/1.8 on the 7 and just a bit longer field of view and would still be relatively small.

I think the only reason to buy the RX1 is if you want a very small full frame camera without a lot of features for a lot of money.  There is a market for this kind of camera though.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 9,101Gear list
Like?

If I shot primarily with the 24mm f/1.8 I would strongly consider the switch to the RX1. the high ISO performance seems to be nothing short of spectacular and from what I have seen and read the 35mm f/2 and sensor seem to be perfectly tuned for each other in ways that no interchangable lens camera could ever equal.

I just cant do because for my style 35mm is just a bit short. Hopefully they will come out with a rx2 with a normal lens

-- hide signature --

NEX-7 & Sigma 30mm f/2.8
NEX-5 & 18-55 OSS
And a spare black 18-55

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
spacemn
Contributing MemberPosts: 953
Like?
In reply to edwardaneal, Dec 10, 2012

edwardaneal wrote:

If I shot primarily with the 24mm f/1.8 I would strongly consider the switch to the RX1. the high ISO performance seems to be nothing short of spectacular and from what I have seen and read the 35mm f/2 and sensor seem to be perfectly tuned for each other in ways that no interchangable lens camera could ever equal.

I just cant do because for my style 35mm is just a bit short. Hopefully they will come out with a rx2 with a normal lens

-- hide signature --

I share your thoughts, but a 36Mpix RX1-II 32/2 wouldn't be too bad either. You can always go narrower, like 50mm or 70mm using the in-camera crop modes, but you can never go digitally wider.

35mm@36mpix means 17.6Mpix@50mm and 9Mpix@70mm

35mm@24mpix means 11.7Mpix@50mm and 6Mpix@70mm

The RX1 can give you three primes in one *wink*

DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,792Gear list
Like?
In reply to viking79, Dec 11, 2012

viking79 wrote:

I think the only reason to buy the RX1 is if you want a very small full frame camera without a lot of features for a lot of money. There is a market for this kind of camera though.

Disregarding the well-to-do-dilettante that buys an item as a fashion accessory (oddly enough, not meant as a slur; I'm sure it's a valid-enough thing to do given certain circumstances), I think the RX1 is for the photo-connoiseur with an existing quiver of camera systems.

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +16 more
Skipper494
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,084
Like?
In reply to Alphamale77, Dec 11, 2012

Haven't even seen an RX1 in stock anywhere, yet, but you're comparing chalk and cheese. No way am I giving up my viewfinder and interchangeable lenses!

straylightrun
Contributing MemberPosts: 909Gear list
Like?

If you have the money and only shoot with the Zeiss 24/1.8, then go for it.

straylightrun's gear list:straylightrun's gear list
Sony Alpha 7S Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony E PZ 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +6 more
Lightshow
Senior MemberPosts: 2,481Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jefenator, Dec 11, 2012

Jefenator wrote:

The RX1 doesn't seem to fare especially well against the NEX-7 with dpreview's comparison tool - the N7 seems sharper at the pixel level and the pixel count is pretty much equal. Of course, they're using very different lenses at different lengths, so it's a bit of an apples-oranges thing - and that comparison tool isn't necessarily the end-all measure of a camera's worthiness. (But still...)

The focus point is critical for a resolution/sharpness comparison, and that type is better suited to color and noise vs. resolution.

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
Jefenator
Senior MemberPosts: 1,432Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lightshow, Dec 11, 2012

Lightshow wrote:

The focus point is critical for a resolution/sharpness comparison, and that type is better suited to color and noise vs. resolution.

Yeah - if there's one thing that comparison tool proves beyond a doubt to me, it is the importance of critical focus!

I'd love to get my hands on a RX-1 and put it through its paces directly against the N7/SEL24 in a variety of settings. I'll be curious to see the results from the folks who beat me to it.

Jefenator's gear list:Jefenator's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS M Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +1 more
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 7,763
Like?
In reply to Jefenator, Dec 11, 2012

Jefenator wrote:

The RX1 doesn't seem to fare especially well against the NEX-7 with dpreview's comparison tool - the N7 seems sharper at the pixel level and the pixel count is pretty much equal. Of course, they're using very different lenses at different lengths, so it's a bit of an apples-oranges thing - and that comparison tool isn't necessarily the end-all measure of a camera's worthiness. (But still...)

If the SEL24 is the only lens you ever plan to use on your NEX-7 and compactness is all-important and you have the money handy, then it might make sense to switch.

I am intrigued by the RX1 - I would certainly accept it as a gift! But I think I just ruled myself out on at least 3 different counts for trading up.

More like trading sideways.

RX1 is a nice camera but much less flexible than the NEX-7.

Alphamale77
Like?

Well, well, nice to see the love from the Nex communities, if anything i guess sony did a good job placing its product, rx1 won't be eating into the nex line. If it was a FF nex, i think i would have sold the nex 7 without much thinking.

I originally got the 24mm comobo to get 35mm focal length which i really enjoy, and the cost of that is a lot cheaper in comparison to a FF canikon body plus a 35mm 1.8 FF lens.

Although i have the la-ea2 and lots of A mount glass, i do find them to be of a better combo with the a77, the weight isn't much of an issue if you have a good camera strap (black rapid)

i think i would keep the 7 after all, the tri navi is really nice and being able to use it as a backup body despite i shoot 90% with the 24mm zeiss is worth its own while.

The reviews have made it really tempting for me, but i think the 7 suits my need more afterall, thanks to everyone who've contributed.

Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +6 more
Philip Corlis
Contributing MemberPosts: 822Gear list
Like?

I think that's a good decision. I would only add that it might be a good idea to wait until Sony evolves the camera forward. Very few products reach the marketplace perfectly designed. If we are lucky, Sony may create a second generation that's even better than this remarkable little camera.

Now - if I won the lottery this week I'd order one in the blink of an eye.

-- hide signature --

Phil
www.PhilCorlis.com
www.FindingBritain.com

LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,448
Like?
In reply to Philip Corlis, Dec 11, 2012

If you ever shoot the RX1, you will throw rocks at the Nex-7 and 24mm f/1.8 (j/k)...it's that good...what a great camera...I am very impressed with it, as much as Steve Huff, he actually called it right on RX1...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Alphamale77
Like?
In reply to LTZ470, Dec 11, 2012

yea, that's where the urge came from after reading his post, i love that butterfly shot.

I was surprised to hear the Rx1 still living with cd type focus, i would thought sony brought over the 6 and 5r stuff over.

i guess Rx2 would be the no brainier for me, after they put in an evf and a better resolution back lcd. (hardware limits)

Did you own the 7 +24 zeiss combo? care to share some samples?

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,089Gear list
Like?

Alphamale77 wrote:

To your main question: trade the Nex-7 with E24 for a RX-1?

• Not here: lenses last longer than bodies, and the quality of the E24 is astonishingly high.
  • The RX-1 adds the FF experience to this FOV - ie. low noise and different DOF.
  • I really would like the PDAF solution on a RX-1. 
The FF sensor would probable make a difference in <5% of all pictures taken. All of the stopped down (low noise) images and non-E24 FOV would not benefit from the RX-1. So it makes the RX-1 a specialty camera.
I find the E24 (35mm equiv. view) not the best lens for traveling. It is a good compromise, and works well with people, but it is too narrow for scenery, architecture, and too wide for details. I guess cropping is an option to be considered, but I end up taking another lens, or two. 

yea, that's where the urge came from after reading his post, i love that butterfly shot.

Full Frame versus APS-C.

I was surprised to hear the Rx1 still living with cd type focus, i would thought sony brought over the 6 and 5r stuff over.

This is the biggest negative about the RX-1 - focusing will be identical to the Nex-7 in terms of CDAF and so will focus misses. But slow and inaccurate CDAF focusing didn't stop the Fujifilm X100 from being successful either (but it has an OVF).

The RX-1 24Mp sensor is a winner imo, and better than the 36Mp D800 version (I care about low noise more than high resolution). Both D800 and D600 (RX-1) sensors were developed pre-PDAF and I guess we will have to wait and see if PDAF will make it to the FF sensor in a Nex-9 (I certainly hope so).

If PDAF shows up in an RX-2, I may pull the trigger, but by then I expect to be able to choose between Nex-9 or RX-2. To me, it is an ease-of-use factor, I tend to take pictures of family and have family take pictures with the camera - no need for them to understand DMF and so on.

i guess Rx2 would be the no brainier for me, after they put in an evf and a better resolution back lcd. (hardware limits)

There is an add-on EVF for the RX-1, expensive and bulky, but HQ.

Did you own the 7 +24 zeiss combo? care to share some samples?

Use the DPreview search archives - it will find all camera+lens combo's that you specify.

• Click on Sample Images on top of your screen
-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
mgatov
Senior MemberPosts: 1,018Gear list
Like?

I wouldn't.  The NEX-7 has much more flexibility and does a lovely job with telephoto.  I have no doubt that the RX-1 gives you better high ISO performance and wonderful Bokeh, but not all (or even most) situations require that. Different tools for different jobs.

mgatov's gear list:mgatov's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D810 AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads