Examples of sharp pictures with XP1 / XE1

Started Dec 10, 2012 | Discussions
Starred
Regular MemberPosts: 306
Like?
Examples of sharp pictures with XP1 / XE1
Dec 10, 2012

I would love to see the sharpest looking pictures (portraits, cityscapes, etc) you have shot.

Thanks in advance!

Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mrgooch2008
Regular MemberPosts: 352
Like?
Re: Examples of sharp pictures with XP1 / XE1
In reply to Starred, Dec 10, 2012

A portrait of a woman.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Al Downie
Contributing MemberPosts: 596Gear list
Like?
In reply to mrgooch2008, Dec 10, 2012

mrgooch2008 wrote:

A portrait of a woman.

The front of the coin is sharp for sure, but the background really shows that 'watercolour effect' that people are going on about!

I've no doubt that the lens is sharp; my doubt is about the autofocus systems being reliably and consistently being able to access that sharpness. Each autofocus system (single, continuous and manual/AF-L) seems to perform differently and produce different results.

Instead of people showing their very best result out of however many shots they've ever taken, it'd be more informative if we could organise a mass autofocus test, where everyone would download and set up THIS LENS-TESTING CHART , photograph it with wide-open aperture, using each of the three autofocus systems for a single shot only, and then post their three results. I expect it'd be almost impossible to filter out the folk who would cheat to prove that their camera could do no wrong...

Al Downie's gear list:Al Downie's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
vkphoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,559
Like?
I think this one is sharp (X-Pro1+ Fujinon 35 mm)
seukel
Regular MemberPosts: 454Gear list
Like?
In reply to Al Downie, Dec 10, 2012

Oh boy, how utterly boring. I think you should read Jim Radcliffes blogg (http://boxedlight.com/blog/), where he divides camera owners into photographers and testographers. The latter "spend 99% of their time testing their camera rather than actually using it for the purpose for which it was created… producing photographs, either for sentimental reasons or artistic purposes ... photography is an art form."

jouni123
Regular MemberPosts: 429Gear list
Like?
Re: I think this one is sharp (X-Pro1+ Fujinon 35 mm)
In reply to vkphoto, Dec 10, 2012

It's not only sharp, it's a beauty, thanks for sharing, jouni

jouni123's gear list:jouni123's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
Al Downie
Like?
In reply to seukel, Dec 10, 2012

seukel wrote:

Oh boy, how utterly boring. I think you should read Jim Radcliffes blogg (http://boxedlight.com/blog/), where he divides camera owners into photographers and testographers. The latter "spend 99% of their time testing their camera rather than actually using it for the purpose for which it was created… producing photographs, either for sentimental reasons or artistic purposes ... photography is an art form."

It's a very fashionable point of view, but it's not worth very much I think. EVERY photographer needs to know and understand his or her equipment, and wants to get the best from it. Not for nothing did Cartier Bresson choose Leica!

Are you suggesting that we, all of us DPreview users, should spend our many thousands of dollars 'blind' and then just get on with our art without a care if our equipment is faulty?

Incidentally, I was a professional photographer for ten years and worked in an Art School for another ten years after that.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
Highlander77
Regular MemberPosts: 116Gear list
Like?
In reply to mrgooch2008, Dec 10, 2012

mrgooch2008 wrote:

A portrait of a woman.

Is this the original quarter dollar or is it a replica?

Highlander77's gear list:Highlander77's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM
mrgooch2008
Like?
In reply to Highlander77, Dec 10, 2012

A replica of the $50. piece.

Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,125Gear list
Like?
In reply to seukel, Dec 10, 2012

seukel wrote:

I really like this

shawnfb
Contributing MemberPosts: 514Gear list
Like?
In reply to Al Downie, Dec 10, 2012

Al Downie wrote:

seukel wrote:

It's a very fashionable point of view, but it's not worth very much I think. EVERY photographer needs to know and understand his or her equipment, and wants to get the best from it. Not for nothing did Cartier Bresson choose Leica!

Are you suggesting that we, all of us DPreview users, should spend our many thousands of dollars 'blind' and then just get on with our art without a care if our equipment is faulty?

Incidentally, I was a professional photographer for ten years and worked in an Art School for another ten years after that.

What kind of camera equipment did you use? I am just curious because I would like to buy the same PERFECT Camera and lens that you used as a professional.

-- hide signature --

shawn

shawnfb's gear list:shawnfb's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +5 more
Al Downie
Like?
In reply to shawnfb, Dec 10, 2012

shawnfb wrote:

What kind of camera equipment did you use? I am just curious because I would like to buy the same PERFECT Camera and lens that you used as a professional.

I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that I ever owned a perfect camera - that was never my intention. But by all accounts a perfect camera isn't necessary so you shouldn't be wasting your time searching for it. You're an ARTIST for god's sake.

abelits
Contributing MemberPosts: 673Gear list
Like?

What the Hell, are you, guys,

doing

with

your

photos?

abelits's gear list:abelits's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +10 more
justinwonnacott
Regular MemberPosts: 489
Like?
Re: I think this one is sharp (X-Pro1+ Fujinon 35 mm)
In reply to vkphoto, Dec 10, 2012

The image has been scaled down . . . .  to about a third of its original linear dimension.

justinwonnacott
Like?
In reply to abelits, Dec 10, 2012

How were your images processed? (Abelits)

abelits
Like?
In reply to justinwonnacott, Dec 10, 2012

justinwonnacott wrote:

How were your images processed? (Abelits)

They were not (OOC JPEGs), except for the last one (converted in Silkypix, adjusted in Gimp).

Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +10 more
justinwonnacott
Like?
In reply to abelits, Dec 11, 2012

Silkypix followed by Gimp .... well they look pretty good, but the first one (street scene) seems to have that "smoothed over" look that I usually associate associate with NR , although it is clearly a sharply focused  capture. I wish my processing looked as good in general.

Am I imagining this? When the image is sharply focused the images from this  sensor look good but when something is out of focus the problems with artifacts etc seem to be visible. Slightly out of focus grass for example, or skin, or regular textures often look ...... questionable.

Thanks

mrgooch2008
Like?
In reply to justinwonnacott, Dec 11, 2012

justinwonnacott wrote:

Silkypix followed by Gimp .... well they look pretty good, but the first one (street scene) seems to have that "smoothed over" look that I usually associate associate with NR , although it is clearly a sharply focused capture. I wish my processing looked as good in general.

Am I imagining this? When the image is sharply focused the images from this sensor look good but when something is out of focus the problems with artifacts etc seem to be visible. Slightly out of focus grass for example, or skin, or regular textures often look ...... questionable.

Thanks

Out of focus will always be out of focus. You can't change it.

abelits
Like?
In reply to justinwonnacott, Dec 11, 2012

justinwonnacott wrote:

Silkypix followed by Gimp .... well they look pretty good, but the first one (street scene) seems to have that "smoothed over" look that I usually associate associate with NR , although it is clearly a sharply focused capture. I wish my processing looked as good in general.

There is some, but since it fits into the overall look of this photo, I left it as it is. If there was a problem, I would have to process the RAW file with Silkypix, set noise reduction to minimum, etc.

Am I imagining this? When the image is sharply focused the images from this sensor look good but when something is out of focus the problems with artifacts etc seem to be visible. Slightly out of focus grass for example, or skin, or regular textures often look ...... questionable.

No matter what you use, you will have artifacts when you, or "helpful" software/firmware, will try to sharpen something that is genuinely blurry. If you don't want things to be blurry, close the aperture, and your depth of field will expand, hopefully covering them. If this isn't achievable in given conditions, or you actually want them to be blurry, you should "convince" processing software that it should not try to "fix" those things.

Usually just avoiding excessive filtering is sufficient. But sometimes the only way to get rid of obnoxious artifacts while preserving optimal processing of things you want to sharpen, is to create two or even three layers -- say, Silkypix sharp, Silkypix minimal sharpness, and JPEG, then set opacity and edit alpha to get different parts of the image with different amount/types of filtering. Gimp does that easily, I am sure, Photoshop is just as usable for this purpose.

Chris Dodkin
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,873Gear list
Like?
In reply to Starred, Dec 11, 2012

Here you go - all X-Pro1 Images - RAW files converted using ACR in CS6 + NIK

-- hide signature --

http://www.dodkin.com
Chris@1D-Images.com
Mac Pro/MacBook Pro/iPods/iPhones/iPad

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D +34 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads