Metz 44 AF-1 with Olympus OM-D E-M5 - does bounce flash work with TTL?

Started Dec 9, 2012 | Questions
Yehuda_ Regular Member • Posts: 324
Metz 44 AF-1 with Olympus OM-D E-M5 - does bounce flash work with TTL?

Hi.

Simple question.

The way I understand it TTL flash is calculated by emitting a pre-flash (or sequence of pre-flashes) and the light reflected by the scene and hitting the camera sensor during the pre-flash sequence is used by the camera to calculate the strength of flash required for a 'good' exposure.

From my experience with Nikon DSLRs + TTL flash this works either with direct flash (not that I ever use that type of horrid lighting ) and when bouncing off the ceiling.

Is there any reason this shouldn't work with the Metz 44 AF-1 + OM-D E-M5 in bounce mode?

I use bounce flash only and if it doesn't work with TTL I gain nothing compared to using all manual flashes...

If anyone can verify this I'll be very appreciative.

Thanks,

Yehuda

Yehuda_'s gear list:Yehuda_'s gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic LX100
ANSWER:
Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Quantum Help Senior Member • Posts: 1,666
does bounce flash work with TTL?

The 44 has less power then the Nikon SB800-900-910 Speedlights. I believe it is also weaker then the SB600-700 units.

With bounce, you need power. Too little power - No Good!

Quantum Help's gear list:Quantum Help's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +5 more
OP Yehuda_ Regular Member • Posts: 324
Re: does bounce flash work with TTL?

Update -

I have successfully used the Metz 44 AF-1 and the Metz 50 AF-2 with my Olympus om-d e-m5 and Panasonic GX1 and Olympus XZ-1 and the TTL works wonderfully.

I have used both flashes with both Olympus cameras with wireless TTL and it's works wonderfully as well.

The wireless TTL was operated with XZ-1's little popup flash unit and with the FL-LM2 flash which comes bundled with the em5.

The Metz 44 is definitely not underpowered.

I used the SB700 and SB800 in the past. I'm not sure the difference is anything you'll feel in real life both in your house and when photographing an event with higher ceilings.

In addition, the simplicity of the user interface on the metz 44 AF-1 is amazing.

Much more fun than using your typical menu-driven (Metz 58 AF-2 comes to mind) OR your 'convenient' knob-riddled flashgun (SB-700 comes to mind).

The 44 has 5 buttons - one button for full auto TTL, one for manual, one for wireless TTL, one for flash test.

Highly recommended!

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
OP Yehuda_ Regular Member • Posts: 324
Re: does bounce flash work with TTL?

Oops. I forgot to mention the fifth button - for turning the flash on/off.

on the em5, when the 44 is on the hotshoe, turning the camera off puts the flash in sleep mode. Turning it on it snaps right back to life.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads