Burning DVD slideshow - then HDTV playback

Started Dec 8, 2012 | Discussions
dw73
Contributing MemberPosts: 863
Like?
Burning DVD slideshow - then HDTV playback
Dec 8, 2012

Is it possible, with the right software, to burn a DVD slideshow and then playback on and HDTV, and have fully realized HD slideshow on the HDTV?

Or, because DVD's are 720x480 resolution, it is not possible to burn an HD-resolution file on to a DVD?

Also to consider, when blu ray players up-sample the DVD to 1920x1080, is it possible for this to give the same HD look as a blu ray?

So far, using Roxio 2010, with its default settings, the images have looked pixelated when played back on the HDTV.  I was not able to even see what resolution Roxio was burning - is it a safe assumption that it was burning at 720x480, because it was burning to DVD? i.e. a DVD can't go higher than 720x480 resolution?

In other words, in addition to blu ray having more storage capacity and higher speed, it has higher resolution that DVD's just can't provide?

Thanks in advance for any input here - basically, can the same resolution through a DVD slideshow equal a blu ray slidesho - if so, which software to use?

kg9iv
Forum MemberPosts: 54
Like?
Re: Burning DVD slideshow - then HDTV playback
In reply to dw73, Dec 11, 2012

There is a way to burn HD onto a DVD disk. It is formally known as BD9 and BD5. With a dual layer DVD you get the BD9 ( 9Gbytes ) and with single layer you get BD5.

I have done this using Toast. It must be played back in a Bluray player though. A Bluray player will play a DVD. You will also need the Bluray plugin for Toast.

The advantage of this is that you can use your existing DVD drive to burn the disk. The downside is that the DVD holds less data and has a lower bit rate than a Bluray disk.. But it looks very nice.

I have burned several BD9 this way and managed to get almost 60 minutes of 1080i video on it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bernard D
Contributing MemberPosts: 700
Like?

You can burn Blue Ray content on a DVD media. So you would build the slideshow as a Blue Ray, but burn it on a DVD disc, you can then use a Blue Ray player to play that disc and have it in HD.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/147429/create_bluray_discs.html

Bernard

-- hide signature --

I measure my success in life not by my awards, but by the amount of smiles, hugs and kisses I get from my family on a daily basis !

BAK
BAK
Forum ProPosts: 19,184
Like?
based on ignorance and optimisim

I keep planning to learn this, but have been told I need a blu-ray burner.

BUT, my desktop computer and one new laptop have HDMI outputs, and I can connect them to a big tv, with resolution set at 1920 x 1080.

So my untried theory is that I can produce a show (maybe video, maybe stills, maybe some combination) and connect a computer to the tv, and run the program from the computer keyboard.

I should be able to store the shows on thumb drives, on DVDs to be played back in the computer, and  on portable hard drives, and on the computers themselves.

I look forward to learning more from this thread.

BAK

BAK

Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,917Gear list
Like?
Optimism is good!
In reply to BAK, Dec 12, 2012

There is a problem with storage - and your image size of each photograph. I have done it but I wasn't thrilled. I just recently produced a Blu-Ray show with 240 very high resolution images and 30 minutes of original music. I used Pro Show Gold 4.5 and burned an ISO file first - then a Blu-Ray from the ISO. It looks stunning on a 60" Panasonic plasma screen. With long fades, Ken Burns motion effect, etc my computer never complained. On sale from ebay and Amazon . . . Ghost Towns of the Old West. (December 16) Sometimes you just have to tough it out.

The nice thing about Pro-Show Gold is the tremendous phone support. The best in the software industry! Amazing folks.
--
Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
dw73
Contributing MemberPosts: 863
Like?
Re: Optimism is good!
In reply to Steve Bingham, Dec 15, 2012

Just in reference to your stating using very high resolution images for your slideshow, did you by chance down sample all the photos  to exactly 1920x1080 before having ProShow Gold burn it?  This is how I will be doing it, because to show a slideshow on a 1920x1080 HDTV, you don't need any higher resolution than that in your images for the slideshow, plus you could get more photos on the slideshow and maybe it makes it easier for the software to handle.

Rather than having to spend more to get an external blu ray burner or a new computer with that installed, I was just wondering if it's possible to get this when burning to a DVD, and which software to use.

Thank you to all for your input thus far!

Steve Bingham
Like?
Re: Optimism is good!
In reply to dw73, Dec 15, 2012

dw73 wrote:

Just in reference to your stating using very high resolution images for your slideshow, did you by chance down sample all the photos to exactly 1920x1080 before having ProShow Gold burn it? This is how I will be doing it, because to show a slideshow on a 1920x1080 HDTV, you don't need any higher resolution than that in your images for the slideshow, plus you could get more photos on the slideshow and maybe it makes it easier for the software to handle.

As I chose to use the Ken Burns effect (motion effects) on many of my slides, it was imperative that I use maximum resolution. I produced a 30 minute show with broadcast quality audio and maximum resolution and only used 6.8 gig of the 25 gb available on Blu-Ray. The effect was stunning. See "Ghost Towns of the Old West" on ebay starting Sunday the 16th. A Blu-Ray burner is around $50-$70 - and well worth it. Mine is LG. I burned a DVD version also, but it was nothing like the Blu-Ray!!!!!!!Most computers have room for a second disc player - if not simply replace the old one. NOT very difficult. You will need a small phillips head screw driver.

My 2 year old computer had no problem! (although it is fast). All 8 processors on the i7 chip were cranking. Four minutes to burn the ISO version (again 30 minutes plus pro audio).

Using full resolution does make the job a lot easier. Just select and drop. The program does the rest. Don't worry about cropping or dpi.

Bottom line. You can burn to DVD, Blu-Ray, or both. And why not????????

Rather than having to spend more to get an external blu ray burner or a new computer with that installed, I was just wondering if it's possible to get this when burning to a DVD, and which software to use.

Thank you to all for your input thus far!

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
FeedMe
Senior MemberPosts: 2,474
Like?

Depending on your player and TV, I've found the best thing to do is just burn the jpg files as a data disc.

Use new file-names (copy to a new folder and rename) to ensure the order you want them in.

Then just use the players auto-slideshow thing to show the pictures.

This way you LEAVE the images at the resolution they are - most decent players will show images up to about 6000 x ??.

It means that you will have the full 1920 x 1080 res of the TV used without scaling up.

I'm presuming that you've been converting the images into a DVD movie type of slideshow?

This means that you HAVE to stay inside the DVD specifications; you ARE making a movie, an MPEG DVD format file..

You could try to make a dvd-bluray. This is a bluray, all proper and normal, but sized to fit a 4.5G dvd - written to a dvd and played as a bluray.. SOME players will have a hissy-fit over the disc, so watch out.

But, seriously, i suggest doing my 'trick' at the top..

-- hide signature --

I don't care enough about you to put a sig. here.

incoherent1
Regular MemberPosts: 145
Like?
colour management

(hope this is not drifting too off topic)

how does one approach colour management in files for tv display? ie what colour space should the files be in?

Does it make a difference whether doing a slideshow in a program (such as proshow or windows movie maker) vs just burning files to a disk?

Steve Bingham
Like?
Re: colour management
In reply to incoherent1, Dec 16, 2012

Color space is pretty much a non-issue. In Pro Show Gold they are pretty much what they were included with. I see no real difference - if any - from the pro photo RGB I used. Pro Show Gold does give you the option of using 80% of color contrast/saturation for better TV viewing - which I use. This help?

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads