Need a metal Leica-like Lens hood for XE!

Started Dec 8, 2012 | Discussions
Dave Cheatham
Contributing MemberPosts: 951
Like?
Need a metal Leica-like Lens hood for XE!
Dec 8, 2012

Does anyone know where I can get a lens hood to compliment my new Fuji XE1? I want metal and the square looking product. The only one I saw at Band H was cheap plastic?

-- hide signature --

Dave C

Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mrgooch2008
Regular MemberPosts: 445Gear list
Like?
Re: Need a metal Leica-like Lens hood for XE!
In reply to Dave Cheatham, Dec 8, 2012

I have this one from Ebay.

mrgooch2008's gear list:mrgooch2008's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DecisiveMoment
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dave Cheatham, Dec 9, 2012

Hello Dave,

I'm looking also for a lens hood for my X-E1 with the 18 - 55mm lens. The lens hood that came with the kit does cast a shadow on your image if you use the built in flash. The lens hood is a tulip design and is a defective design. I did email Fujifilm about the issue and hope to hear from them soon. Since the lens hood is of a bayonet design then a rectangular hood should work. If I come up with a solution I'll post it here. I want Fujifilm to come up with a solution regarding lens hoods for all their lenses for the X line of cameras.  -Frank

-- hide signature --

PhotoNut

DecisiveMoment's gear list:DecisiveMoment's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
adubg
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to mrgooch2008, Dec 9, 2012

mrgooch2008 wrote:

I have this one from Ebay.

Would this be a good lens hood for the 18-55 kit lens?

lnbolch
Senior MemberPosts: 1,865Gear list
Like?
In reply to DecisiveMoment, Dec 9, 2012

Straight hoods work great on primes, but are only effective at the widest end of a zoom. Were they effective at the long end, they would vignette at the wide end. The petal type is a working compromise and a pretty universal solution on zoom lenses. 
On-camera flash with shadows cast by lens or hood is nothing new—pretty much a universal problem except with short lenses. No problem with my D700 if I am using my 105mm or shorter primes. Pretty useless with zoom lenses.

-- hide signature --
 lnbolch's gear list:lnbolch's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 8400 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +12 more
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,934Gear list
Like?
In reply to lnbolch, Dec 9, 2012

I discovered that flash shadow last night.

Thinking about it - all you have to do is remove the hood when taking flash shots. You don't need it at night or dim occassions usually anyway.

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10's gear list:Astrophotographer 10's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads