Sigma 30mm lens for Pentax K-7, K-5, K-5 II, K-5 IIs etc

Started Dec 7, 2012 | Discussions
john10001
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
Sigma 30mm lens for Pentax K-7, K-5, K-5 II, K-5 IIs etc
Dec 7, 2012

Just wondered if anyone has this Sigma 30mm lens?

I have seen quite a few truly excellent photos taken with this lens. I'm just wondering what you'd consider to be it's plus points and any negatives?

Also how would you say it stacks up against the Pentax primes in terms of quality, resolution, dynamic range etc? Are there any Pentax primes you would say the Sigma 30mm would give a run for their money and compete favourably with? Would you rank this Sigma higher than any of the Pentax Primes and if so which ones?

-- hide signature --

Kind Regards,
John
Born in the United Kingdom of Great Britain. I reject EU citizenship.
Pentax Espio Mini / Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 / Hoping to get a Pentax K-5 dSLR at some point with a Prime Lens around 31mm!

Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,563Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 30mm lens for Pentax K-7, K-5, K-5 II, K-5 IIs etc
In reply to john10001, Dec 7, 2012

Pentax has its 31mm f/1.8 limited, which is as close as it comes with respect to length and speed. The Pentax is a FF lens, the Sigma is not.The 31 is much more expensive: build is flawless, it's sharp to the edges wide open, and has beautiful bokeh - a very difficult combination especially on a wide-angle lens (on FF).

Sigma primes, and this one especially, focus on center sharpness. The edges are not too good wide open. This may not be a show stopper however. It's by no means a bad lens.I had a look at it a couple of years ago and decided to stretch for the Pentax.

Sigma just announced a higher-end line of primes including a 35mm f/1.4. I think this would be a more evenly-matched comparison.

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Yurko40a
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?

By any chance, are you asking because this lens is available at both Amazon and B&H for $349 now? (back-ordered though). Most people consider that to be a good deal money/quality wise. Especially since we are stuck with crop bodies only and cannot fully appreciate 31mm LTD which is more than double the price even though being a slower lens (a stellar performer, still). Another down side for Pentax and Min0lta/S0ny mount version of this lens is no HSM or AF/MF switch ;-( We should really be charged less since those features come at the same price for Can0n/Nik0n/Oly/Panas...

gooseta
Contributing MemberPosts: 707Gear list
Like?
In reply to Yurko40a, Dec 7, 2012

The sigma is great, at 1.4 corners drop of but is extremely sharp from 2.8 and has great bokeh

-- hide signature --

Angad S. aka gooseta
Amateur photographer
angadsrin.zenfolio.com
K5iis with DA 17-70/4, 35/2.4, M 50/1.7, Tamron 70-200/2.8
Sony A55 with Tamron 17-50/2.8, 200-500/5-6.3, Samyang 8/3.5

gooseta's gear list:gooseta's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +1 more
Eli Allan
Forum MemberPosts: 94
Like?

This is one of my favorite lenses, at $349 its a steal.  That said its not a lens that you use for everything, when its out of its element it shows.  It is stunningly sharp in the center, with a sort of dreamy curved focal plane rendering that blurs out to the corners.  I have some portraits from this lens that are some of my all time best.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads